More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Dave Grusin Appreciation

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Dave Grusin Appreciation Empty
PostSubject: Dave Grusin Appreciation   Dave Grusin Appreciation EmptyWed Sep 09, 2020 12:21 pm

The Fabulous Baker Boys. Three Days of the Condor. Tootsie.

There's John Barry and Jerry Goldsmith, but I think Dave Grusin is just as great as them. What a missed opportunity to get him in for Bond. Imagine the sound of an early 90s Bond movie as composed by him. So much heart and soul in his music. You don't just hear it. You feel it.

Back to top Go down
silvertoe
'R'
'R'
silvertoe

PostSubject: Re: Dave Grusin Appreciation   Dave Grusin Appreciation EmptyWed Sep 09, 2020 5:10 pm

I couldn't open the first one but i enjoyed the others, three days in particular...retro kinda Lalo schiffrin i thought...Dirty harry,Bullitt and the like. Certainly a different vibe to the kinda Bond music we come to expect and more suitable perhaps for Live and let die?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Dave Grusin Appreciation   Dave Grusin Appreciation EmptyFri Sep 11, 2020 9:19 am

Condor definitely has a LALD vibe, but I think an early 90s score composed by Grusin would incorporate jazzier elements as found in the Fab Baker Boys (and potentially influenced by Goldsmith's The Russia House, which remains one of the all time great scores in cinema, imo).

Try this one:

Back to top Go down
silvertoe
'R'
'R'
silvertoe

PostSubject: Re: Dave Grusin Appreciation   Dave Grusin Appreciation EmptyFri Sep 11, 2020 9:49 am

Cool....kinda sleazy
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Dave Grusin Appreciation   Dave Grusin Appreciation EmptySat Sep 12, 2020 1:26 pm

Sleazy? More like soulful!

I gave ...And Justice for All a watch. As soon as the music started I thought it had to be Dave Grusin. And sure enough...

The video below is divided into tracks in the link. Main titles theme is the first track and is about 2 minutes long. It's just as funky and brilliant as Condor.

Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Dave Grusin Appreciation   Dave Grusin Appreciation EmptySun Sep 13, 2020 3:21 am

Very underrated composer absolutely.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Dave Grusin Appreciation   Dave Grusin Appreciation EmptyMon Sep 14, 2020 9:53 am

What's your favourite score of his, HGTB? I haven't seen The Milagro Beanfield War yet which has his Oscar-winning score. How can he better what he did for Baker Boys, Justice for All and Condor? oh my!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Dave Grusin Appreciation   Dave Grusin Appreciation EmptyTue Sep 29, 2020 2:14 pm

I gave the excellent The Long Goodbye a watch the other day. The menu page and some scenes had a gorgeous lounge rendition of one of the themes (also called The Long Goodbye, appropriately enough) which I've linked below. Not knowing who composed the music, I thought it could have been something from the great Dave Grusin. When I saw the opening credits, it said John Williams composed the soundtrack. Only when I finished the film and sourced the score on youtube, I see that Dave Grusin's had a hand in some of the tracks of the score! He is fast becoming my favourite composer.

Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Dave Grusin Appreciation   Dave Grusin Appreciation EmptySat Sep 11, 2021 5:00 pm

His score for the Milagro Beanfield War was very good, and so is some of his non-filmic music. I used to have an album of his--with Lee Ritenour--called "Harlequin" that was quality. I should probably buy another copy of it.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Dave Grusin Appreciation   Dave Grusin Appreciation EmptySat Oct 02, 2021 6:13 am

PK wrote:
His score for the Milagro Beanfield War was very good

Just gave the main theme a listen. Beautiful stuff. I'll see if I can source Harlequin too. Thanks!

Aching to get a tangible Baker Boys soundtrack.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dave Grusin Appreciation   Dave Grusin Appreciation Empty

Back to top Go down

Dave Grusin Appreciation
Page 1 of 1