More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Is Bond being hypocritical when it comes to revenge?

Go down 
+2
CJB
ironpony
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ironpony
Q Branch
Q Branch
ironpony

Is Bond being hypocritical when it comes to revenge? Empty
PostSubject: Is Bond being hypocritical when it comes to revenge?   Is Bond being hypocritical when it comes to revenge? EmptyWed Dec 02, 2020 8:59 am

I don't understand why Bond is all about Melina not getting revenge, when he got revenge twice in the movie, once on Blofeld, and then on Loche. He still tells her that it's not right to take revenge, but instead of the filmmakers allowing her to do it, they have Columbo kill him instead. But why? It feels like the storytellers are trying to say, they can do this but not you, to her.

Unless I missed something?
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Is Bond being hypocritical when it comes to revenge?   Is Bond being hypocritical when it comes to revenge? EmptyWed Dec 02, 2020 9:52 am

I'd say you're correct in that it was hypocritical.

I think it was meant to be Bond's way of being a wise, paternal figure to Melina.

Then he rails her while Margaret Thatcher listens in.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Is Bond being hypocritical when it comes to revenge?   Is Bond being hypocritical when it comes to revenge? EmptyWed Dec 02, 2020 11:55 am

'You can take revenge, but you will likely come to regret it' has always been how that stuff in FYEO has come across to me.
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: Is Bond being hypocritical when it comes to revenge?   Is Bond being hypocritical when it comes to revenge? EmptyWed Dec 02, 2020 4:58 pm

Or: "You can do better than to become like me."
Back to top Go down
ironpony
Q Branch
Q Branch
ironpony

PostSubject: Re: Is Bond being hypocritical when it comes to revenge?   Is Bond being hypocritical when it comes to revenge? EmptyWed Dec 02, 2020 5:05 pm

Oh okay, but they never really show Bond regretting his revenge though.

SPOILER:
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: Is Bond being hypocritical when it comes to revenge?   Is Bond being hypocritical when it comes to revenge? EmptyWed Dec 02, 2020 6:38 pm

I think Columbo could see Kristatos' knife and was acting to save Bond. That's not revenge, that's defence, sparing Melina any (further) remorse (like she felt any for Gonzales).
Back to top Go down
ironpony
Q Branch
Q Branch
ironpony

PostSubject: Re: Is Bond being hypocritical when it comes to revenge?   Is Bond being hypocritical when it comes to revenge? EmptyWed Dec 02, 2020 7:12 pm

Oh okay, but the thing about that is, is that why go for the anti-revenge angle if you are just going to have the villain die in a self defense killing anyway?  Doesn't that make the anti-revenge angle redundant then, if the villain is just going to get killed in a self defense angle then anyway?
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Is Bond being hypocritical when it comes to revenge?   Is Bond being hypocritical when it comes to revenge? EmptyThu Dec 03, 2020 2:59 am

The question I always wondered about was the two graves line. One can take it as dig graves for her parents and take proper time to grieve or that a quest for revenge destroys both you and the one you aim to kill.

Melina not killing Kristatos is to keep her pure of character etc....or to show she's not up to Domino's level....or Fleming's Judy Havelock.

The more I think about it the more I wish Melina in the film just had more...of anything going on...I totally get all the criticism of her not being emotional now. Every time I re-read the short story I want to know more after Bond and Judy Havelock walk off. Judy in a few pages has more fire, grit, sprit and character than Melina does in the whole film.
Back to top Go down
ironpony
Q Branch
Q Branch
ironpony

PostSubject: Re: Is Bond being hypocritical when it comes to revenge?   Is Bond being hypocritical when it comes to revenge? EmptyThu Dec 03, 2020 4:18 am

Well Melina already killed a helpless Gonzalas in cold blood without much hesitation it seemed, so I thought she was already beyond the puriness, and Bond was just splitting hairs at that point?
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Is Bond being hypocritical when it comes to revenge?   Is Bond being hypocritical when it comes to revenge? EmptyThu Dec 03, 2020 11:00 am

Ironic that you would bring up splitting hairs.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Is Bond being hypocritical when it comes to revenge?   Is Bond being hypocritical when it comes to revenge? EmptyMon Jan 04, 2021 1:17 pm

AMC Hornet wrote:
Or: "You can do better than to become like me."

This.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Bond being hypocritical when it comes to revenge?   Is Bond being hypocritical when it comes to revenge? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is Bond being hypocritical when it comes to revenge?
Page 1 of 1