More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The Sweeney (1975-79)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

The Sweeney (1975-79) Empty
PostSubject: The Sweeney (1975-79)   The Sweeney (1975-79) EmptySat May 01, 2021 10:05 pm

For the second time in another lockdown, worked through my complete boxset (which sadly doesn't include the films) of a cop show that defined cop shows.

The Sweeney was kicking into life as Dixon of Dock Green was winding down after nearly twenty years. By now policing was more Sweeney than Dixon who, as much as I like Jack Warner, was standing still in comparison.

You start off, if you can, with the "Armchair Theatre" episode "Regan" (not called a pilot as it looks like it was meant to be an one-off). It is slightly edgier than the series and has a few moments that are forever etched in the psyche ("Get yer trousers on! Yer nicked!"). It unites John Thaw's hard as nails, hard drinking, hard smoking Regan with Dennis Waterman's slightly younger but more streetwise Carter who's married and yet of course has an eye for the ladies all the same.

As a website I found which did a pretty decent worst to best for each season says, this is not a show known for its continuity or character development but it's a pretty solid series. I always tend to overlook, unless it's too overbearing or the series isn't that good, the 'dated' side of shows and treat it as it is, something made in the 70s if that makes sense. So, the language (mostly un-PC stuff), the pisspoor depiction of women (mostly strippers, 'slags' etc) and son is of its time. (Rate things are going we'll be watching this in a dark room).

Anyway. Actor wise it's chock full of Bond alumni from well known faces to brief appearances. Got enough action to be getting on with and makes you wish policing was vaguely like it now.

However, the last series fell away in quality. Didn't help having my heroes Morecambe & Wise in one episode but the decision to replace the famous title sequence with this 70s prism mess was a disaster. Both Thaw and Waterman look worn of it all but there we go.

Less said about the 'remake' film the better.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as

The Sweeney (1975-79)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Television & Radio-
Jump to: