More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology

Go down 
+4
Largo's Shark
Tubes
Fairbairn-Sykes
Salomé
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Ambler
Anonymous

Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology Empty
PostSubject: Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology   Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 11:58 pm

What happens when you try to leave the Church of Scientology?
The story of film director and screenwriter Paul Haggis's resignation

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/apr/23/try-to-leave-church-scientology-lawrence-wright
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology   Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology EmptySun Apr 24, 2011 10:36 am

I believe I read a similar report a few months back. I can't recall if it was in the NYTimes or another publication.

Why do so many Hollywood power players join Scientology in the first place?

Back to top Go down
Ambler
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology   Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology EmptySun Apr 24, 2011 10:38 am

Yes, not so much news, as a new reprint in the Grauniad.

Amazing that anyone ever took Haggis seriously.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology   Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology EmptySun Apr 24, 2011 7:53 pm

Salomé wrote:

I always suspected that it comes from a lot of Hollywood players being raised in religious backgrounds but leaving them when becoming popular in Hollywood, but still requiring that belief in a higher power than themselves, but being in Hollywood it needs to be something different and new from their original "normal" background, so Kabbalah or Scientology.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Tubes
Q Branch
Q Branch
Tubes

PostSubject: Re: Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology   Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology EmptySun Apr 24, 2011 7:57 pm

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
Salomé wrote:

I always suspected that it comes from a lot of Hollywood players being raised in religious backgrounds but leaving them when becoming popular in Hollywood, but still requiring that belief in a higher power than themselves, but being in Hollywood it needs to be something different and new from their original "normal" background, so Kabbalah or Scientology.

It's a cycle, too. Hollywood newbie joins Scientology, gets industry connections, becomes power player, helps Hollywood newbie Scientologist become a power player, etc.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology   Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology EmptySun Apr 24, 2011 8:08 pm

It's all about money and influence. Most of these Scientologists were young and gullible when they were first 'chosen'. Ex-hippies like Haggfish. They rejected religion out of fashion, but still wanted some sort of structure to their structureless lives. Gradually they became more successful as actors, writers etc... and thus they could pay more for their expensive courses, and Tommy Davis an co use these people's celebratory status to fund them.

It's a giant web of Thetans.
Back to top Go down
GeneralGogol
Q Branch
Q Branch
GeneralGogol

PostSubject: Re: Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology   Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology EmptySun Apr 24, 2011 11:16 pm

Hollywood's such a silly place, with such silly people.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology   Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 5:10 am

Sharky wrote:
It's all about money and influence. Most of these Scientologists were young and gullible when they were first 'chosen'. Ex-hippies like Haggfish. They rejected religion out of fashion, but still wanted some sort of structure to their structureless lives. Gradually they became more successful as actors, writers etc... and thus they could pay more for their expensive courses, and Tommy Davis an co use these people's celebratory status to fund them.

Essentially yes. I dunno if any of them take it more seriously than Masons did three hundred years ago. It's the same deal -- the cult itself has no real special powers or secrets, it's just that it's basically an elite club that you gotta join if you wanna be a big muckety-muck with the rest of them.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology   Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 6:11 pm

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
Sharky wrote:

Essentially yes. I dunno if any of them take it more seriously than Masons did three hundred years ago.

You'd be surprised. There's a lot of deluded types in the upper echelons of Scientology. And their Mafia-like mentality and tactics are far more dangerous than the Masons ever were. At least in Great Britain.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology   Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 6:27 pm

Travolta rules.
Back to top Go down
Arkadin
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology   Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 2:59 am

There was a great New Yorker article on Haggis and Scientology not too long ago.

EDIT: Yup, here it is.
Back to top Go down
Ambler
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology   Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 9:23 am

Arkadin wrote:
There was a great New Yorker article on Haggis and Scientology not too long ago.

Same article. The Gruaniad reprinted it.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology   Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 1:09 pm

ambler wrote:
Arkadin wrote:

Same article. The Gruaniad reprinted it.

And condensed it, and dumbed it down.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology   Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology EmptyMon May 02, 2011 11:41 pm

While I think Haggis is an extremely smug hack, his leaving $cientology speaks well enough of him. It's an evil cult that preys upon young people in Hollywood. Like any cult or religion, it goes after vulnerable people, and a great many artistic types can be needy. Enter these assholes, acting like your friends.

I've never been approached by $cientologists personally, but I've seen people who have been. I had to deal with born again people I know trying to absorb me into this fucking place: http://www.oasisla.org/ It's a Christian church, but it's also something of a cult itself. Imagine a church that looks like a film set or a concert, where narcissistic young Hollywood types dress up like they're going clubbing. On a Sunday morning. laugh It's quite a spectical.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology   Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology EmptyFri May 20, 2011 7:56 am

At least Haggfish didn't pollute his Bond scripts with Scientology nonsense.....................he just polluted them with other Haggfish nonsense tongue

Khanners, if you're about, have I got the spelling of Haggfish right? Georgio didn't like us discussing such important Haggfish minutiae on the other site.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology   Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology Empty

Back to top Go down

Paul Haggis and the Church of Scientology
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: Bond: General News & General Discussion-
Jump to: