More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Julian Glover Writes...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

Julian Glover Writes... Empty
PostSubject: Julian Glover Writes...   Julian Glover Writes... EmptySat May 08, 2021 12:00 am

I couldn't find a thread to post it in but saw this last week in the Sunday Times. Hopefully you chaps can read it fine but took me by surprise when I saw his name appear.

Julian Glover Writes... 20210510
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Julian Glover Writes...   Julian Glover Writes... EmptySat May 08, 2021 11:41 am

Hehehe ... he's a man with his feet still firmly on the ground, clearly.

Think I posted the pic with him I got at a convention a couple of years ago on here, although Lord knows which thread it was.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Julian Glover Writes...   Julian Glover Writes... EmptySat May 08, 2021 9:31 pm

He does seem a proper sort. I think if I was known for a little bit in a Star Wars film, an Indy Jones film and a Bond film amongst other roles, I'd be pretty chuffed. His accent in Last Crusade is pretty solid, when I first saw the film yonks ago I did think he was American.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Julian Glover Writes...   Julian Glover Writes... EmptySun May 09, 2021 12:06 pm

Having also done Who and Game Of Thrones, he was exactly the sort of guest you'd want at a convention smile .
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Julian Glover Writes...   Julian Glover Writes... EmptySun May 09, 2021 2:55 pm

Ha this is great!

I think he well and truly cemented himself in pop culture.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Julian Glover Writes...   Julian Glover Writes... EmptySun May 09, 2021 8:24 pm

I must say this is better than the day a lecturer in my final year at uni said he often wrote letters to the Times (being an evening class, everyone was bored already) and I was the one person who sort of blinked and thought, crikey, I saw that letter!

Tempted to subscribe to the Times just in case Steven Berkoff feels the need to vent.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Julian Glover Writes...   Julian Glover Writes... EmptyMon May 10, 2021 9:49 am

The Hellenic film industry must've had a similar reaction to Glover's spot-on Grik accent. tongue
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Julian Glover Writes...   Julian Glover Writes... EmptyMon May 10, 2021 9:15 pm

laugh True, true.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Julian Glover Writes...   Julian Glover Writes... EmptyThu May 13, 2021 1:05 am

That's cool to see. I can't help but think of Donovan being a heavily watered down Kristatos though-since the villain reveal is similar and Spielberg is a confirmed Bond fanatic who has lifted from Bond before and does several times even in Crusade...
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Julian Glover Writes...   Julian Glover Writes... EmptyThu May 13, 2021 11:07 am

Indy came about because Spielberg couldn't 'do' a Bond, as far as I know.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Julian Glover Writes...   Julian Glover Writes... EmptyFri May 14, 2021 8:37 pm

I believe that was the case. Weren't he and Lucas on a beach in Hawaii and Spielberg said, let's do a Bond-like film or some such!?
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Julian Glover Writes...   Julian Glover Writes... EmptySat May 15, 2021 4:12 am

Yep. Cubby turned Spielberg down, Spielberg bemoaned this to George on the Hawaiian beach awaiting box office returns on CEOT3K and Star Wars and George says I've got a better idea it's called Indiana Smith.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Julian Glover Writes...   Julian Glover Writes... EmptySun May 16, 2021 1:25 pm

How would we feel about a Spielberg-directed Bond movie? He would give Bond that escapist edge sorely missing from the recent output, and it would embrace the series' identity and legacy... But he'd find a way to celebrate American culture and amplify it's importance in US-UK relations that I don't think he'd be a good fit. Further his drama always has a sentimental quality which wouldn't quite work with Bond.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Julian Glover Writes...   Julian Glover Writes... EmptyMon May 17, 2021 11:43 am

The action and humour would certainly have been up to par, if Indys 1 - 3 are anything to go by. John Williams on scoring duties and ILM on effects ones are also very tempting thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Julian Glover Writes...   Julian Glover Writes... EmptyMon May 17, 2021 5:22 pm

I think a Spielberg directed Bond would've been quite good. From what I've read he's a Bond fan, appreciates what would make a Bond film. Couldn't be as bad as some of the canon.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Julian Glover Writes...   Julian Glover Writes... EmptyWed May 26, 2021 1:02 pm

I just cringe at the idea of how Americanised it might become.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Julian Glover Writes...   Julian Glover Writes... EmptyWed May 26, 2021 11:47 pm

You mean Spielbergized. 70's-1985 Spielberg would have worked but the tonality would have become too much Spielberg and of course Cubby was like no way we want no big names in the chair.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Julian Glover Writes...   Julian Glover Writes... EmptySat May 29, 2021 12:44 am

I rewatched Munich last night and didn't mind how he handled that. Is it Bond material? Maybe not. The globetrotting didn't give much time to delving deep into travelogue. But two sequences reminded me of Bond and Columbo's Albanian raid and Bond sneaking into Palmyra at night.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Julian Glover Writes...   Julian Glover Writes... Empty

Back to top Go down

Julian Glover Writes...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: General Discussion-
Jump to: