More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

How to write a thriller, according to Ian Fleming

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

How to write a thriller, according to Ian Fleming Empty
PostSubject: How to write a thriller, according to Ian Fleming   How to write a thriller, according to Ian Fleming EmptySun Nov 14, 2021 11:01 pm

A fascinating read I stumbled across and wanted to share. Fleming explains how to write a thriller circa 1963:

https://crimereads.com/ian-fleming-explains-how-to-write-a-thriller-circa-1963/
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: How to write a thriller, according to Ian Fleming   How to write a thriller, according to Ian Fleming EmptyMon Nov 15, 2021 8:13 am

Came across that a few years ago. Loved reading Fleming's thoughts. Truly a master of the craft.
Back to top Go down
Somerset
'R'
'R'
Somerset

PostSubject: Re: How to write a thriller, according to Ian Fleming   How to write a thriller, according to Ian Fleming EmptyWed Nov 17, 2021 3:09 am

Have read this several times now. A great essay.

Quote :
I tried to cool his boiling ego by saying that his artistic purpose was far, far higher than mine. He was engaged in “The Shakespeare Stakes.” The target of his books was the head and, to some extent at least, the heart. The target of my books, I said, lay somewhere between the solar plexus and, well, the upper thigh.

Made me think of this from Foucault’s Pendulum:

“Proust was right: life is represented better by bad music than by a Missa solemnis. Great Art makes fun of us as it comforts us, because it shows us the world as the artists would like the world to be. The dime novel, however, pretends to joke, but then it shows us the world as it actually is—or at least the world as it will become. Women are a lot more like Milady than they are like Little Nell, Fu Manchu is more real than Nathan the Wise, and History is closer to what Sue narrates than to what Hegel projects. Shakespeare, Melville, Balzac, and Dostoyevski all wrote sensational fiction. What has taken place in the real world was predicted in penny dreadfuls.“
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: How to write a thriller, according to Ian Fleming   How to write a thriller, according to Ian Fleming EmptySun Nov 28, 2021 12:50 pm

Given NTTD is the most sexless Bond film ever, it goes to show another way the Craig era fails to capture the spirit and essence of Fleming's works:

Ian Fleming wrote:
My opuscula do not aim at changing people or making them go out and do something. They are written for warm-blooded heterosexuals in railway trains, airplanes and beds... The target of my books, I said, lay somewhere between the solar plexus and, well, the upper thigh.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: How to write a thriller, according to Ian Fleming   How to write a thriller, according to Ian Fleming EmptyMon Nov 29, 2021 8:55 am

The liberal Twatterati class for whom NTTD was made regard Fleming as yet another dead white racist man and Babs obliged by figuratively toppling his statue.

All the more reason the material lifted out of Fleming's YOLT didn't belong in NTTD.
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: How to write a thriller, according to Ian Fleming   How to write a thriller, according to Ian Fleming EmptyTue Nov 30, 2021 8:43 pm

The poison garden was hardly even lip service.

I wrote an essay in a communications class called 'How Not to Write a Thriller' wherein I quoted from Fleming's original. A lot of his advice still holds up today.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to write a thriller, according to Ian Fleming   How to write a thriller, according to Ian Fleming Empty

Back to top Go down

How to write a thriller, according to Ian Fleming
Page 1 of 1