More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Shaken, not stirred

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

Shaken, not stirred Empty
PostSubject: Shaken, not stirred   Shaken, not stirred EmptySat Jun 10, 2023 3:22 pm

Reading Diamonds Are Forever last night and struck upon what I suspect is the origin of the famous formulation, "shaken, not stirred." Bond is dining with Tiffany Case in New York's 21 Club and orders martinis for them both, stipulating that they be shaken, not stirred.

When Fleming wrote those words, he could not possibly have imagined how they would become such a prominent trope in Western or perhaps even global culture. It's really quite dumbfounding how something so prosaic as basic instructions for mixing a drink gain such cultural purchase.

Anyway, something worth pondering. Or maybe not.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Shaken, not stirred   Shaken, not stirred EmptySun Jun 11, 2023 11:29 am

Sometime between CR and DAF Fleming clearly decided that the 'not stirred' stipulation needed to be added, as in the former Bond does request that the Vesper be 'shaken very well, until it's ice-cold'.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Shaken, not stirred   Shaken, not stirred EmptyMon Jun 12, 2023 3:51 am

Perhaps one of the under-appreciated character traits of (literary) Bond is that he's very finicky with what he puts in his mouth (settle down).

One of those big quirks is, of course, that martinis are conventionally stirred with gin, not shaken with vodka (granted the 'Vesper' variant contains both spirits).

I believe he also does other "weird" things like wear loafers and short sleeved shirts with lounge suits. These days that'd make him the best dressed he/him in the room, but in the 50's that would be somewhat on the eccentric side.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Shaken, not stirred   Shaken, not stirred EmptyMon Jun 12, 2023 6:05 am

CJB wrote:
Perhaps one of the under-appreciated character traits of (literary) Bond is that he's very finicky with what he puts in his mouth (settle down).

One of those big quirks is, of course, that martinis are conventionally stirred with gin, not shaken with vodka (granted the 'Vesper' variant contains both spirits).

I believe he also does other "weird" things like wear loafers and short sleeved shirts with lounge suits. These days that'd make him the best dressed he/him in the room, but in the 50's that would be somewhat on the eccentric side.

The short-sleeved shirts under the suits was a Fleming affectation as I recall, but I have a feeling Terence Young would have sooner made DR NO with Jack Palance or Wally Cox as Bond than embrace that particular sartorial choice (one that my grandfather also made, but I have to cut him some slack as he spent countless hours -- while in his late 60s -- outside in the summer heat hitting me fly balls and helping transform me from hapless to a pretty fair baseball player.)

Edit add-on: now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing footage of Young in short sleeves at Pinewood directing TB, so maybe I'm overstating the faux-pas aspect.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Shaken, not stirred   Shaken, not stirred EmptyMon Jun 12, 2023 2:50 pm

CJB wrote:

Finicky, indeed.

He also has an exacting eye for female fashion and grooming, taking a rather inordinate interest in things such as soap, perfume, jewelry and nail varnish. (Auric Goldfinger was not among his favorite shades.)
Back to top Go down
Somerset
'R'
'R'
Somerset

PostSubject: Re: Shaken, not stirred   Shaken, not stirred EmptyWed Jun 14, 2023 4:10 am

Can't remember who pointed this out (probably Amis) but one of Fleming's great moves was to give Bond these qualities (or eccentricities as they may be) that were just the right amount out of reach of the Everyman without being totally unrelatable, by sort of cutting them off at the knees. So he buys the best quality soaps...but he takes cold showers. He occasionally indulges in gourmet fare on the government's dime...but his favorite meal is undoubtedly and consistently scrambled eggs. Neither playing football nor polo rather gambling and skiing. Maybe the short sleeve shirts under the suits is another example.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shaken, not stirred   Shaken, not stirred Empty

Back to top Go down

Shaken, not stirred
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: Literary Bond-
Jump to: