More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Technical question about Blu-Ray DVDs

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

Technical question about Blu-Ray DVDs Empty
PostSubject: Technical question about Blu-Ray DVDs   Technical question about Blu-Ray DVDs EmptyThu May 12, 2011 2:00 pm

Do Blu-Ray DVDs have completely separate music, SFX, video, etc. tracks? I'm wondering as "Obsession" is coming out on Blu-Ray soon, and it'd be great if the entire isolated score could be ripped from it.

I bet something would get in the way, however, but figured I'd ask.
Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

PostSubject: Re: Technical question about Blu-Ray DVDs   Technical question about Blu-Ray DVDs EmptyThu May 12, 2011 4:11 pm

Well Brown, first thing you should know is that Blu-rays aren't DVDs, so some stuck-up videophile might take issue with your name for them. ;)

If you're talking about something like the TND DVD, I think it's just on a case-by-case basis. Some of them come with the separate tracks, but not all.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Technical question about Blu-Ray DVDs   Technical question about Blu-Ray DVDs EmptyThu May 12, 2011 5:55 pm

Wade, I think what Brown means is ripping the movie - and then isolating the separate DTS/Dolby whatever channels. Usually it's the rear channel for the score.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Technical question about Blu-Ray DVDs   Technical question about Blu-Ray DVDs EmptyThu May 12, 2011 6:58 pm

Jack Wade wrote:
Well Brown, first thing you should know is that Blu-rays aren't DVDs, so some stuck-up videophile might take issue with your name for them. ;)

laugh

I'll keep that in mind then.

Sharky wrote:
Wade, I think what Brown means is ripping the movie - and then isolating the separate DTS/Dolby whatever channels. Usually it's the rear channel for the score.

Yeah. Something like that.

Is it possible to do that with all Blu-Ray films? Or only certain ones that have the channels setup accordingly?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Technical question about Blu-Ray DVDs   Technical question about Blu-Ray DVDs EmptyThu May 12, 2011 7:16 pm

Mr. Brown wrote:

Is it possible to do that with all Blu-Ray films? Or only certain ones that have the channels setup accordingly?

This might help.

It should work for all Blu-rays with 5.1 surround, so there's no problems of certain ones being of a different confirmation. The only thing you have to look out for is copyright protection, but nearly all rippers can bypass that.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Technical question about Blu-Ray DVDs   Technical question about Blu-Ray DVDs EmptyThu May 12, 2011 7:19 pm

Might be good news for fans of the score, then.

I'm sure a bootlegger is going to attempt it at one point or another.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Technical question about Blu-Ray DVDs   Technical question about Blu-Ray DVDs EmptyThu May 12, 2011 7:50 pm

Don't count on it. Bootleggers tend to be kidz, so they'll likely neglect any mostly unreleased Herrmann score (i.e. this, along with IT'S ALIVE, THE SNOWS OF KILIMANJARO, BRIDE WORE BLACK et al)

I love this:

Great use of a Moog modular and precision bass.
Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

PostSubject: Re: Technical question about Blu-Ray DVDs   Technical question about Blu-Ray DVDs EmptyFri May 13, 2011 2:28 am

I get the impression it's much harder to rip BDs.
Back to top Go down
Tubes
Q Branch
Q Branch
Tubes

PostSubject: Re: Technical question about Blu-Ray DVDs   Technical question about Blu-Ray DVDs EmptyFri May 13, 2011 5:47 am

Jack Wade wrote:
I get the impression it's much harder to rip BDs.

BD has better copy protection than DVD's, but most BD's are largely rippable with the right decoders. Now it's less of a matter of copy protection and more of a matter of having the right hardware.
Back to top Go down
Chigawa
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Chigawa

PostSubject: Re: Technical question about Blu-Ray DVDs   Technical question about Blu-Ray DVDs EmptyFri May 13, 2011 5:36 pm

It really depends on the age of the film Brown, I know this from years of isolating dialog for my trailers. A newer film that was originally mixed with 5.1 would have the best results. Otherwise, if it's a stereo or mono conversion of a classic film (Obsession) you won't have much luck. Even then it's iffy. It really depends on the balance of the sound mix. The music is usually assigned to the rear speakers, and the dialog in the Center speaker.

Blu-Ray's wouldn't be any different I'm pretty sure.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Chigawa
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Technical question about Blu-Ray DVDs   Technical question about Blu-Ray DVDs Empty

Back to top Go down

Technical question about Blu-Ray DVDs
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Film News & Film Discussion-
Jump to: