More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The Equalizer (1985-89)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
JohnDrake
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
JohnDrake

The Equalizer (1985-89) Empty
PostSubject: The Equalizer (1985-89)   The Equalizer (1985-89) EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 8:25 pm

To many British viewers, Edward Woodward (RIP) will always be known as the reluctant government assassin David Callan, but he became an international star when he was chosen to play former US secret agent turned troubleshooter Robert McCall in this popular '80s action thriller series. I have just watched season 1 and it was pretty impressive. As he did in his espionage days, McCall uses strategic tactics and military experience to bring down the villains, but he is also very sympathetic although he is no pushover either. I like his sidekick Mickey Kostmayer (Keith Szarabajka) who handles the more dangerous parts of the job and Control (the late Robert Lansing) was also a fine recurring character. Many notable guest stars appeared in The Equalizer such as Robert Mitchum, Richard Jordan, Kevin Spacey, Vincent D'Onofrio, Tony Musante and Tony Shalhoub.

There has even been talk of a big-screen remake starring Russell Crowe as McCall, although an actor like Michael Fassbender, James Purefoy or Rupert Penry Jones would be more ideal as they would keep the character's Englishness intact.

I hope one day the rest of the series is released on DVD.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: The Equalizer (1985-89)   The Equalizer (1985-89) EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 11:02 pm

Enjoyed this when I saw it on the tube...didn't pay too much attention in the late 80s when I was a kid but did watch the re-runs on A&E in the USA. Has one of the best tv themes too...
Back to top Go down
JohnDrake
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
JohnDrake

PostSubject: Re: The Equalizer (1985-89)   The Equalizer (1985-89) EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 1:16 am

Mrs Aural Sects wrote:
Enjoyed this when I saw it on the tube...didn't pay too much attention in the late 80s when I was a kid but did watch the re-runs on A&E in the USA. Has one of the best tv themes too...

In the late '80s when I was a kid as well, my mother told me never to watch this show as it was for adults only. I think it was on a Thursday night when it was on ITV (UK) in 1989 and I was flicking through channels and there it was.

I can remember late night repeats of The Equalizer on ITV in the early '90s. There was one where McCall dealt with an arsonist and another where he and a few others were trapped in an empty stage hall. Satellite channel Granada Plus repeated the whole series I think in the early '00s, especially the eps featuring Richard Jordan and Robert Mitchum as hardened ex-agents Gage and Dyson.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Equalizer (1985-89)   The Equalizer (1985-89) Empty

Back to top Go down

The Equalizer (1985-89)
Page 1 of 1