More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011)

Go down 
+8
Loomis
Fae
Seve
FourDot
jet set willy
Largo's Shark
Harmsway
bondfan06
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011)   Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 11:02 pm

Loomis wrote:
Have you read the book or seen the BBC adaptation, and if so how do they stack up against the film version?
I've read the book. Not seen the Guinness BBC adaptation (truth be told, I don't have a whole lotta interest in it, for whatever reason). It's a fine adaptation of the novel.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011)   Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 11:40 pm

This movie is high on my list, although I fear I might miss it in theatre, as its only playing at a few theatres, and none of them close by. If I miss it in theatres, I will definitely grab it first week of blu-ray rental. I've only read one LeCarre, (A Perfect Spy), but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011)   Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 5:01 pm

Probably going back for a second viewing this weekend, was mesmerized by what I guess might be considered it's old-fashioned quality of storytelling.

It doesn't rely on all the modern standby crutches like shakeycam or music to prop up feeble and overcut action setpieces.

Oldman was ... something else. The timbre of his voice suggested to me a wholly different actor, and the way he was at one point able to put some steel into it while keeping the exact same character-sound (don't know how else to describe it) kind of redefines acting chops for me. I've long held that Jack Lemmon's work in MISSING is among the most subtle film acting, that it has a tremendous sense of continuity, which I find remarkable since films aren't shot in sequence. Oldman was that good in my mind.

Plus it had lots of little things I just love, like a PTS, plus actual titles. And the timeshifting was done in what I guess I'd call an elegant way. It is probably misleading, but Smiley's recollections somehow made me think of WILD STRAWBERRIES, which I haven't tried to watch since the late 70s. (Comparing a spy movie with Bergman sounds really hokey, but shoot, remember how early critics trashed BUTCH CASSIDY for its song, saying it was riffing on Fellni? William Goldman's response was something like, I can't speak for anybody else on the film, but I'm thrilled you even think I've heard of Fellini.)

I don't remember the LeCarre book in detail, but I'm guessing the importance (maybe even the inclusion) of the party flashback was invented for the film. I wouldn't mind spending a couple hours just in that stretch of time, because it just felt right.

Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011)   Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 5:48 pm

Such was Oldman I wouldn't mind seeing an adaptation of The Honourable Schoolboy or Smiley's People just to see him back in action.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011)   Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 10:58 pm

Tinker's up for 11 BAFTA says zee Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/baftas/9019862/Bafta-2012-Tinker-Tailor-Soldier-Spy-has-11-nominations.html

Comments as usual aren't worth a jot, folk finding it boring giving up after 40mins. Zut alors. Still, I'll be rooting for Oldman come BAFTA night.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011)   Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 5:11 pm

Easily the best film I saw last year. Wonderful to see actors using their eyes instead of their mouths.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011)   Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011) - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 3:35 pm

Just pondering how the infantilisation of filmmaking has robbed us of the sequel to this great film. How its director Tomas Alfredson is 50 and has only made two films in the last seven years, both outstanding, yet isn't working on anything at the moment. And how its star, the great John Hurt has pancreatic cancer, one of the least survivable.

Film historians will look back on the last 10 years and think of all the outstanding scripts that were bought but never got made. Fuck you, Marvel.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011)   Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011) - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 5:49 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Just pondering how the infantilisation of filmmaking has robbed us of the sequel to this great film. How its director Tomas Alfredson is 50 and has only made two films in the last seven years, both outstanding, yet isn't working on anything at the moment. And how its star, the great John Hurt has pancreatic cancer, one of the least survivable.

Film historians will look back on the last 10 years and think of all the outstanding scripts that were bought but never got made. Fuck you, Marvel.

Brilliant film. One of the best I've seen in a long time. I'm glad that I got to see it in the theater, too.

There was talk of SMILEY'S PEOPLE being turned into an HBO miniseries. Here's a blog post on it:
http://doubleosection.blogspot.com/2015/04/oldmans-tinker-tailor-sequel-headed-to.html

Sort of ridiculous that they need to go with that route, considering the first film featured some of the biggest stars in the industry (Oldman, Cumberbatch, Hardy, Firth, Hurt, Jones, etc.) and made a profit. I guess the studios just don't want to put money behind another film that refuses to hold the viewer's hand.

I'll always be willing to check out Alfredson's new works. He's a great example of a modern auteur, unlike J.J. Abrams, Zack Snyder or Joss Whedon.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011)   Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011) - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 6:47 pm

Thanks for the link. First I've heard of a possible HBO tieup, but works for me.

Good site too. This quote from its Tinker review says it all:

Quote :
I hope this film is successful and leads to a resurgence of smart, complex spy films for adult audiences. The Cold War was never the raison d'ĂȘtre for the books of le CarrĂ©, Len Deighton, Graham Greene, Anthony Price and countless others; it was an expedient dramatic device through which to explore universal themes of loyalty and betrayal.
http://doubleosection.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/movie-review-tinker-tailor-soldier-spy.html

What a shame that resurgence didn't happen. Sha-fucking-zam.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011)   Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011) - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2015 1:41 am

Feel a tad disappointed that we won't see it on the big screen (unless somewhere like the BFI shows the first episode like they have done the odd thing in the past). Though, as the reviewer says in Brown's link, as long as Oldman, Hinds, Cumberbatch and others are involved I won't mind too much the series format.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011)   Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2