More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Do some Brits really don't speak English that well?

Go down 
+14
CJB
Jack Wade
Ravenstone
Fae
Control
lachesis
saint mark
Hilly
Largo's Shark
GeneralGogol
Gravity's Silhouette
Chang
Santa
j7wild
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

Do some Brits really don't speak English that well? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do some Brits really don't speak English that well?   Do some Brits really don't speak English that well? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 8:26 pm

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
saint mark wrote:
saint mark wrote:
When I studied for a year in England, in Lancaster to be precise I had a hard time with local lingo as well. The regional differences do however make the whole thing charming. But I have met very few people in the North of England that spoke High English.

But no one finds a person questioning other peoples ability to speak proper English with this question: "Do some Brits really don't speak English that well? " even slightly ironic?

I believe JWild7 is a genius. I believe he's actually a lot smarter than he appears, and that his persona as a 15 year old, linguistically-challenged adolescent is an act. Why does that seem so familiar?

I have decided a long time to mostly ignore his initial quest or remarks, somehow along the way we find out that he is actually nuts or has a very different view on the world from the average person. Both options are fine by me.

This time I presumed he had trouble with the different accents from the various parts of the UK.

I think I remember JWild7 from over at CBn, and if I recall correctly, he irritated a lot of people over there with his postings about every inane piece of minutiae that went on in his life (one post about his car dying on him generated tons of hateful responses). But I find him harmless. I get he might not be everyone's cup of tea, but that's what "diversity" is all about: tolerating people that are different from you.

Still, I believe he's a stealth "genius" and by "genius" I mean he intentionally dumbs it down in order to be more memorable; and for the most part I think it's working.

Pretty much what happened over at MI6, though he's banned from new MI6 I believe.

Bloody hell, I still get emails from them. It's like a curse.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Do some Brits really don't speak English that well?   Do some Brits really don't speak English that well? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 10:22 pm

I'm British, oddly some people in the country speak English rather well, while others do not. similarly some regional accents are strong while others aren't. I somehow, foolishly perhaps, assumed this was typical of other countries and their native tongue.
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

PostSubject: Re: Do some Brits really don't speak English that well?   Do some Brits really don't speak English that well? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 10:28 pm

But no one finds a person questioning other peoples ability to speak proper English with this question: "Do some Brits really don't speak English that well? " even slightly ironic?
Don't worry, I'm sure we're all highly amused.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Do some Brits really don't speak English that well?   Do some Brits really don't speak English that well? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 10:34 pm

Chang wrote:
If I had to choose I'd rather be English than American.

Racist.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Do some Brits really don't speak English that well?   Do some Brits really don't speak English that well? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 10:51 pm

Mr. Brown wrote:
Chang wrote:

Racist.

Well, I guess I'm a racist then, because all Americans, Canadians, Aussies and Britons look the same to me. I can't tell one from the other. When I was a little boy I used to wonder how they all recognized one another because of how they all looked so similar.
Back to top Go down
Fae
Q Branch
Q Branch
Fae

PostSubject: Re: Do some Brits really don't speak English that well?   Do some Brits really don't speak English that well? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:52 pm

Sharky wrote:
This is all correct, but I like my cockney accent, and it ain't goin nowhere.
You have a cockney accent, Sharky?

Very interesting.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Do some Brits really don't speak English that well?   Do some Brits really don't speak English that well? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:59 pm

Fae wrote:
Sharky wrote:
This is all correct, but I like my cockney accent, and it ain't goin nowhere.
You have a cockney accent, Sharky?

Very interesting.

Yes luv.
Back to top Go down
Fae
Q Branch
Q Branch
Fae

PostSubject: Re: Do some Brits really don't speak English that well?   Do some Brits really don't speak English that well? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 12:02 am

I love that I can now say the phrase "I'm giggling like a schoolgirl"

... I mean what? tongue
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Do some Brits really don't speak English that well?   Do some Brits really don't speak English that well? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 12:11 am

Giggling wasn't the first thing that came to mind Fae, but please keep the schoolgirl bit.

If I wasn't young too, I'm be coming off as a right nonce.

Back to top Go down
Fae
Q Branch
Q Branch
Fae

PostSubject: Re: Do some Brits really don't speak English that well?   Do some Brits really don't speak English that well? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 12:15 am

Sharky wrote:
Giggling wasn't the first thing that came to mind Fae, but please keep the schoolgirl bit.
Yeah, can't do that what with just having left school and all. It's only forwards from now on, Sharky.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Do some Brits really don't speak English that well?   Do some Brits really don't speak English that well? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 12:17 am

So you're not taking me backwards? Shame.

Do you have a uniform?
Back to top Go down
Fae
Q Branch
Q Branch
Fae

PostSubject: Re: Do some Brits really don't speak English that well?   Do some Brits really don't speak English that well? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 12:36 am

I did.

Well I still have one of my school dresses left ...
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Do some Brits really don't speak English that well?   Do some Brits really don't speak English that well? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 12:40 am

Are stains easily removable?
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Do some Brits really don't speak English that well?   Do some Brits really don't speak English that well? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 2:26 am

Sharky wrote:
Are stains easily removable?

No. Just ask Bill Clinton.
Back to top Go down
Chang
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Chang

PostSubject: Re: Do some Brits really don't speak English that well?   Do some Brits really don't speak English that well? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 8:46 am

Mr. Brown wrote:
Chang wrote:

Racist.

Why? Most of the instances I've had to deal with Americans in the past, I've found them to be arrogant idiots.
No offence. I'm sure they're not all bad.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Do some Brits really don't speak English that well?   Do some Brits really don't speak English that well? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 4:52 pm

Glottal stops and other phonetic variances differ greatly from place to place, but do not mean that someone isn't speaking 'properly'.

RP is hardly how Shakespeare sounded.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Do some Brits really don't speak English that well?   Do some Brits really don't speak English that well? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 7:25 pm

Chang wrote:
Mr. Brown wrote:
Chang wrote:

Racist.

Why? Most of the instances I've had to deal with Americans in the past, I've found them to be arrogant idiots.

Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

PostSubject: Re: Do some Brits really don't speak English that well?   Do some Brits really don't speak English that well? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 7:31 pm

Quote :
laugh
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Do some Brits really don't speak English that well?   Do some Brits really don't speak English that well? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 1:34 pm

Santa wrote:
Don't worry, I'm sure we're all highly amused.

I confess I assumed that was deliberate!
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Do some Brits really don't speak English that well?   Do some Brits really don't speak English that well? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 5:20 pm

Chang wrote:
Mr. Brown wrote:
Chang wrote:

Racist.

I wasn't being serious.

I can't stand most Americans that I encounter, either.

Back to top Go down
Fae
Q Branch
Q Branch
Fae

PostSubject: Re: Do some Brits really don't speak English that well?   Do some Brits really don't speak English that well? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:08 pm

Mmmm I've liked most the Americans I've met ... mind you I still remember meeting one guy who was telling my father and I about how his wife didn't realise Australians spoke. That was just funny though.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Do some Brits really don't speak English that well?   Do some Brits really don't speak English that well? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:13 pm

I knew as Australian who couldn't understand how everyone in England knew she was Australian. She didn't think she sounded Aussie at all (she sounded like she'd be right at home in a Fosters advert).

Bizarre :D

Her husband couldn't understand why I sounded so different to someone else (me being Staffordshire, and someone else being Windsor).
Back to top Go down
Fae
Q Branch
Q Branch
Fae

PostSubject: Re: Do some Brits really don't speak English that well?   Do some Brits really don't speak English that well? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:21 pm

See I was the opposite. I don't consider myself to have a broad accent ... compared to some one like Steve Irwin but when I went over to Europe I noticed how different my accent was. It was so weird.

But awesome.

In other news ... English accents - I could pick up the difference but not enough to know where they were from. In the end they would fall under the blanket term of 'English accents'. It works.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Do some Brits really don't speak English that well?   Do some Brits really don't speak English that well? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:29 pm

What regional Ozzie accent you got Fae?
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Do some Brits really don't speak English that well?   Do some Brits really don't speak English that well? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 10:06 pm

Fae wrote:
See I was the opposite. I don't consider myself to have a broad accent ... compared to some one like Steve Irwin but when I went over to Europe I noticed how different my accent was. It was so weird.

But awesome.

In other news ... English accents - I could pick up the difference but not enough to know where they were from. In the end they would fall under the blanket term of 'English accents'. It works.

Interesting. At uni' one of my floor-mates was from Melbourne and it took her three months to understand my accent.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do some Brits really don't speak English that well?   Do some Brits really don't speak English that well? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next