More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

What we've lost.

Go down 
+29
HJackson
w7
jet set willy
bitchcraft
Perilagu Khan
Largo's Shark
Klown
Salomé
Mr Bond
Satorious
Jack Wade
Makeshift Python
groucho070
Fairbairn-Sykes
FourDot
Fae
Tubes
Moore
James. C
retrokitty
G section
Lazenby.
CJB
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Control
colly
Hilly
lalala2004
The White Tuxedo
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Moore
Q Branch
Q Branch
Moore

What we've lost. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What we've lost.   What we've lost. - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 11:26 pm

It's silly for me to be mad, but I just think of the long history of stuff I have done there. I did numerous reviews and assisted in helping get the Gardner bond novel information out there. All those people who slaved over music, literary, film guides only to be trashed. What a shame.

As silly as it is, I worked on a lot of projects over the past 8 years and to see it gone is a bit crushing.

I think kyvan's post on the MI6 Community site was the best. It feels like our homes burnt down and, now that we have nothing left, leaving MI6- which had been unthinkable- becomes quite easy.

Back to top Go down
Moore
Q Branch
Q Branch
Moore

PostSubject: Re: What we've lost.   What we've lost. - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 11:28 pm

retrokitty wrote:
I hope I don't appear two-faced. I'm going to do my fun business here but I'm not "checking out" from the other one. I still need access to those archives if and when they ever appear again. I'd like to see how things pan out over there. It won't every be as fun as this one already is. The crack down on fun over the last two years was unbelievable - even with the preferred older format.

Not at all, at least not to me. I'll be sticking around there. Mainly because I don't want to lose complete contact with some great people that I have met. I think this one will be my home now though. That site will be one that I check into every so often.

I don't know if it is really such a loss. I seem to remember for me the golden years on the site being from 2003-2006 for me. After that things began to wane. Within the last two years, mainly because of the above mentioned crackdown, I rarely if ever posted. I had just started posting again when this happened.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: What we've lost.   What we've lost. - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 11:29 pm

Lazenby. wrote:
I think the "technical stuff" is baloney, TBH; Excuses for a new approach not going down well at all. Seriously, how difficult is it to change a few things such as colours and fonts on that old messageboard. Don't tell me for a second that there was anything stopping them from doing that. And that was all anybody wanted, a freshening up and some new avatars.

It hasn't escaped my notice either that the only people truly defending the new site are the Mods. Honesty of fear of demotion? You decide.

Well, I can understand that converting that massive database of posts to a new BB version or whatever might be a pain in the ass. If they had said, "Hey guys. We're getting a new board. All the posts will be converted to a new version of the same software, but the site will be down for a day or two during the conversion process."

I'd have been totally okay with that. That's what I was expecting. For years. The upgrade was a running joke since... at least 2006. Maybe even 2005.

Instead I get a random PM... and I've told that story so many times. The message said, and a paraphrase, "It's coming. Save any messages you care about." I thought it meant private messages! Not the whole damn site. I had to post in the 00 Section to get any info, and Luds locked the thread. nick, I think and to his credit, reopened it and I think he was the one who actually told me WTF was going on.

What we ended up with was, "this board will self-destruct in five seconds".

I think of Ripley in ALIEN. "YOU BITCH!!!"
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: What we've lost.   What we've lost. - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 11:30 pm

Lazenby. wrote:
I couldn't help laughing just now over at MI6book at everyone truly letting rip in the "departures" thread. Fieldster just basically told Luds what he REALLY thought of him, then f***ed off. laugh

Bloody 'ell, even Balje's told them to shove it.

I buld more then 9 years of mi6forums experience with more then 2200 messages it is dificult to buld something new again. In 2002 when i re-register i have mabey a litle bit more then 1 year of bulding things. My succes on the forum board happend also because old messages stay around. I leave Dutch forum board because there don't have the option to let stay those older messages and i am walking against some problems in the community if you must stil explain things or i don't understad them.

If people see my older messages there understand me better sometimes. Of course it also happend the other way around, because bulding a new image isn't always easy. if i leave some of my older post behind me or find a way to post less or other intrest.

I have now a big need to talk about Creativity, theater and filming and and whant find other ways then yusing 007 only to do this.

In specialy if we talking about creativity. I always thinking about a way to bulding a new way of posting, extented my post to another level in the way finding new ways of posting things about other things and a way how i can leave old subject and found new one.

Specialy because this new one is linked to social media i think to yuse that to leave.

You go, girl.
Back to top Go down
Tubes
Q Branch
Q Branch
Tubes

PostSubject: Re: What we've lost.   What we've lost. - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 11:32 pm

The entire, epic Star Trek thread. Rants, montages, all of it.

The pictures are, for the most part, preserved. But the words are lost forever.
Back to top Go down
Fae
Q Branch
Q Branch
Fae

PostSubject: Re: What we've lost.   What we've lost. - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 11:33 pm

I wish Dublo was here - I have a feeling he would prefer this. Then again I don't know what he would think ... but I have a strong idea.He is such a legend and I believe he did what he needed to do when he became a mod - it wouldn't have been an easy transition. He's an awesome person ... fortunately I can keep chatting to him to him through actual FB/Msn :)

Much love for Dublo.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: What we've lost.   What we've lost. - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 11:35 pm

CJB wrote:
Lazenby. wrote:
I couldn't help laughing just now over at MI6book at everyone truly letting rip in the "departures" thread. Fieldster just basically told Luds what he REALLY thought of him, then f***ed off. laugh

Bloody 'ell, even Balje's told them to shove it.

I buld more then 9 years of mi6forums experience with more then 2200 messages it is dificult to buld something new again. In 2002 when i re-register i have mabey a litle bit more then 1 year of bulding things. My succes on the forum board happend also because old messages stay around. I leave Dutch forum board because there don't have the option to let stay those older messages and i am walking against some problems in the community if you must stil explain things or i don't understad them.

If people see my older messages there understand me better sometimes. Of course it also happend the other way around, because bulding a new image isn't always easy. if i leave some of my older post behind me or find a way to post less or other intrest.

I have now a big need to talk about Creativity, theater and filming and and whant find other ways then yusing 007 only to do this.

In specialy if we talking about creativity. I always thinking about a way to bulding a new way of posting, extented my post to another level in the way finding new ways of posting things about other things and a way how i can leave old subject and found new one.

Specialy because this new one is linked to social media i think to yuse that to leave.

You go, girl.

I liked to joke about balje, but he was a trooper. Sure his English was awful, but it's better than my Dutch.
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: What we've lost.   What we've lost. - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 11:35 pm

When a six-paragraph Balje post makes a damn sight more sense than the site itself, you know it's time to get out.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: What we've lost.   What we've lost. - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 11:37 pm

Fae wrote:
I wish Dublo was here - I have a feeling he would prefer this. Then again I don't know what he would think ... but I have a strong idea.He is such a legend and I believe he did what he needed to do when he became a mod - it wouldn't have been an easy transition. He's an awesome person ... fortunately I can keep chatting to him to him through actual FB/Msn :)

Much love for Dublo.

It would have been better perhaps if he hadn't been made a Mod. He's not PC enough to be a Mod. This coming from a former MI6 Mod. Of course I was the John McCain maverick Mod. Now, like McCain, I'm just a senile codger.
Back to top Go down
FourDot
'R'
'R'
FourDot

PostSubject: Re: What we've lost.   What we've lost. - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 11:44 pm

Speaking of Balje, we've now lost the "M gets kidnapped by a tow-truck" post for good.

That saddens me more than anything else.

(I preserved all my "Last Movie Watched" paragraphs on RT for whatever reason... seems like this was the reason. Not that they'll be worth looking at down the track.)
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: What we've lost.   What we've lost. - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 11:45 pm

I was selfish. I did go back and grab stuff -- but it was my stuff: my James Bond novel and movie reviews (which I might repost here), my Star Trek reviews. I wish to God I had saved the Bond Bibliography and some of the Ask the Experts threads on Bond's war background that I had contributed too -- but I thought we'd have a more time than the few hours they gave us (once they gave in to the demand at all) when the S*** hit the fan.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: What we've lost.   What we've lost. - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 11:45 pm

FourDot wrote:
Speaking of Balje, we've now lost the "M gets kidnapped by a tow-truck" post for good.

What's this? laugh
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: What we've lost.   What we've lost. - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 11:47 pm

Also -- while I know most people didn't give a damn, I know for a fact that I put hours of time and effort into the photomontages in the Trek thread, and most of them were pretty damned funny. So that make's me sad. And, as Tux sad, the sequencing charts and so on. Stuff that was really, really, the work of true fans that is gone forever.
Back to top Go down
retrokitty
'R'
'R'
retrokitty

PostSubject: Re: What we've lost.   What we've lost. - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 11:49 pm

Had I known it was only for a few hours, I'd have stayed up last night. Totally unfair to put it up and not tell us there was such a short time frame to it.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: What we've lost.   What we've lost. - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 11:51 pm

Lazenby. wrote:

He got off lightly. ;)
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: What we've lost.   What we've lost. - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 11:53 pm

FieldsMan wrote:
Lazenby. wrote:

He got off lightly. ;)

Fields, you devil :)
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
James. C
Cipher Clerk
James. C

PostSubject: Re: What we've lost.   What we've lost. - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 12:01 am

retrokitty wrote:
Had I known it was only for a few hours, I'd have stayed up last night. Totally unfair to put it up and not tell us there was such a short time frame to it.

This. I heard it'd be up for at least a few days, not a few hours! Lazenby., where's that Bond Camp Sydney photo you made?
Back to top Go down
FourDot
'R'
'R'
FourDot

PostSubject: Re: What we've lost.   What we've lost. - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 12:07 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:
FourDot wrote:

What's this? laugh

Something about how in the next Bond film, M should be kidnapped by a towtruck. Or at the end, Bond should be sitting in his car, and suddenly it gets towed away or something. I can't remember the specifics, but it had quite the cult following. Before it was locked.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: What we've lost.   What we've lost. - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 12:11 am

trevanian made one post on MI6book, and said he was leaving.

I'd link to the post (though I'd fear they'd be able to track it here), but I don't think there is an option to do that.

Quote :
FOUR DOT and TUX and PYTHON gone? Geez, what the hell is the point of staying? I have no interest in social networking, which is what this seems like at first skim, and the content loss issue is significant as well.

ILMFAN.com is finally back up after a multi-year absence, but there is no substantial filmtalk there, but you can find me for a tech question or a bit of gabbing. Got no idea where I'm gonna wind up for significant posting, but it won't be on commanderbond either, thasforsure.

Regards,

Kevin H. Martin
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: What we've lost.   What we've lost. - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 12:14 am

retrokitty wrote:
Had I known it was only for a few hours, I'd have stayed up last night.

Yep, me too. Even though I did stay up last night, I spent that time mostly getting people over to this site, having figured I'd take on the arduous task of finding my best posts/threads from old MI6 the next day. I really should have known better, given the "prior" the admins established in giving us no notice over the closure of the old site to begin with. Mistrust, oppression and Facebook are their ways now.

James. C wrote:
Lazenby., where's that Bond Camp Sydney photo you made?

Ask James Page, mate. It's not stored on my computer, sadly. :x
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: What we've lost.   What we've lost. - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 12:23 am

I'm gonna be chuckling when the nanny state mods realize how goddamn hard its going to be to police behaviour in what is essentially a chatroom.
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: What we've lost.   What we've lost. - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 12:27 am

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
I'm gonna be chuckling when the nanny state mods realize how goddamn hard its going to be to police behaviour in what is essentially a chatroom.

Yep, I think Modship will become all but redundant over there now TBH.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: What we've lost.   What we've lost. - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 12:28 am

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:

Have they installed a swear filter yet?

If not, then I'm tempted to start firing off F-bombs like Katyusha rockets.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: What we've lost.   What we've lost. - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 12:32 am

CJB wrote:
Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:

Have they installed a swear filter yet?

If not, then I'm tempted to start firing off F-bombs like Katyusha rockets.

I'm sure somebody swore in a post and when I next looked Luds had edited it.

So no, is the short answer.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
groucho070
Cipher Clerk
groucho070

PostSubject: Re: What we've lost.   What we've lost. - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 3:45 am

Am seriously going to miss Brosnan's pain face compilation :( laugh
Back to top Go down
http://grouchydays.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What we've lost.   What we've lost. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What we've lost.
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next