More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Diamonds Are Forever in Review

Go down 
+28
Control
j7wild
bitchcraft
MBalje
FG Wells
SJK91
GeneralGogol
Lazenby.
Louis Armstrong
Drax
colly
FourDot
Krilencu
groucho070
lalala2004
Perilagu Khan
Ravenstone
Vesper
dr. strangelove
tiffanywint
Tubes
Makeshift Python
Largo's Shark
Mr. Trevelyan
Chang
CJB
Fairbairn-Sykes
Fort Knox
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diamonds Are Forever in Review   Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 5:14 pm

groucho070 wrote:
:twisted:

I am actually colour blind...

I am too, but even so, that is pretty damned pink in any light.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: s   Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 5:43 pm

AMC Hornet wrote:
DAF was my first exposure to 007, and I've never lost affection for it.

Those who say that Connery was bored, uunengaged and just shuffling through the motions need to watch YOLT again. Perhaps it was just that $1m+ paycheck that put the sparkle back in his eye, but so what? Motivation is motivation.

As an entry-level Bond film, DAF still ticks all the boxes, and it truly was the right vehicle for the seventies. If you wanted gritty, angst-laden action films there was always Serpico and the French Connection. If you wanted a distraction from Vietnam and gas shortages there was DAF and the Moore films to come...

Here's a quote from the Guardian review: "And yet Connery clearly does not want to be there. He shuffles through the motions like some ageing heavyweight showboater, flirting with disaster, his toupee slipping."

The review is well thought out and well written, but I totally disagree with its assessment of Seanery's performance. I got the sense he actually enjoyed acting in DAF. The above quote applies more accurately to Seanery's performance in YOLT.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Diamonds Are Forever in Review   Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 8:28 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
The review is well thought out and well written, but I totally disagree with its assessment of Seanery's performance. I got the sense he actually enjoyed acting in DAF. The above quote applies more accurately to Seanery's performance in YOLT.

Agreed. It's clear as day that Connery is having a ball in the flick and whenever someone comes up and claims that he looked bored I'm always there to call bullshit. Connery may have gained several pounds but he still has that twinkle in his eye you won't find in YOLT and NSNA (the former for being too gimmicky and the latter for being "a piece of shit"). I don't think it's the best possible swan song for his 007 tenure and the climax is certainly compromised, but overall it makes a more enjoyable final entry than YOLT or NSNA.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Diamonds Are Forever in Review   Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 11:45 pm

I can live with that review, but I don't attach any importance to his criticisms. He does like the film though, in fact he calls it his favourite, but he seems to feel a need to justify his like. But that's to be expected. Critics aren't supposed to be cheerleaders. They have a job to do.

IMO what makes DAF so enjoyable is the campy but still, dark vibe which permeates the film, which the writer does allude to. The film manages to fuse escapist elements with very palpable danger. It's a fun but dangerous romp. Sean's natural menace as Bond also helps to ground the film, tempering the more outrageous elements and suspending disbelief. When done well, this really is the magic Bond formula. Uncle borrowed this formula from Bond and had it nailed down in the early years, before going off the rails in the 3rd season, only to recover in Season 4.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Diamonds Are Forever in Review   Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Diamonds Are Forever in Review
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5