More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Diamonds Are Forever in Review

Go down 
+28
Control
j7wild
bitchcraft
MBalje
FG Wells
SJK91
GeneralGogol
Lazenby.
Louis Armstrong
Drax
colly
FourDot
Krilencu
groucho070
lalala2004
Perilagu Khan
Ravenstone
Vesper
dr. strangelove
tiffanywint
Tubes
Makeshift Python
Largo's Shark
Mr. Trevelyan
Chang
CJB
Fairbairn-Sykes
Fort Knox
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diamonds Are Forever in Review   Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 8:30 pm

Stilicho Bias wrote:
I see this site is untainted by DAF-hating scum.

:)
Welcome Khan! You've jumped off the back of your bookcover and into the fun with Plenty and Tiff thread :)

lalala2004 wrote:
I'm not a big fan of DAF, but I appreciate it for what it is, which also happens to be a load of fun.

I'm intrigued by it more since learning more about Jill St. John's mafia connections.
After perusing your St John mafia connections thread, it does seem St John was a very natural fit or maybe coerced choice for the gangster moll role in DAF.
Interestingly she played a similar bad girl in the very first episode of the 60's high camp Batman series.
Back to top Go down
lalala2004
'R'
'R'
lalala2004

PostSubject: Re: Diamonds Are Forever in Review   Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 8:36 pm

tiffanywint wrote:

lalala2004 wrote:
I'm not a big fan of DAF, but I appreciate it for what it is, which also happens to be a load of fun.

I'm intrigued by it more since learning more about Jill St. John's mafia connections.
After perusing your St John mafia connections thread, it does seem St John was a very natural fit or maybe coerced choice for the gangster moll role in DAF.
Interestingly she played a similar bad girl in the very first episode of the 60's high camp Batman series.

Yeah, I spent a lot of time on that thread, too. 😢 *pouts*
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Diamonds Are Forever in Review   Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 8:50 pm

lalala2004 wrote:
Yeah, I spent a lot of time on that thread, too. 😢 *pouts*

Yes much hard work was flushed with the re-boot :pale:

Doubly terrible when a thread devoted to St John gets flushed down Whyte's penthouse outhouse.
Back to top Go down
groucho070
Cipher Clerk
groucho070

PostSubject: Re: Diamonds Are Forever in Review   Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 6:25 am

We had a DAF appreciation thread, and I remember having lots of fun in it...just like the movie.

I’d call it guilty pleasure, for being so uptight about the need to be faithful to Fleming and all.

But at the same time, I prefer the movie to the dull book. This is one of the most quotable movie of all Bonds, in fact. The lines are just brilliant, and all the cast members were top notch, including the "I got a brudder" henchman and the guy who drawled, “I didn’t know there was a pool down there”.
Back to top Go down
http://grouchydays.blogspot.com
Krilencu
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Krilencu

PostSubject: Re: Diamonds Are Forever in Review   Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 11:47 am

Sean Connery not in his usual portrayal but he's clearly amusing himself. Much better here then in YOLT. Charles Gray is not the most menacing of Blofelds (Dawson), nor the most physical one (Savalas) but he is the most charming one and for this sort of Bond film he's the perfect villain. Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd are hilarious as is Willard Whyte. The brilliant John Barry soundtrack and marvellous Ken Adam sets rovide the movie with a great atmosphere. The plot is somewhat messy but the great dialogue makes up for that. Pity about the rather dull climax but happily the movie ends with the "Bombe Surprise" scene.Also I am a big fan of the title sequence and gubarrel of DAF. In the wake of the great OHMSS it's not entirely appropriate. Apart from that, a great Bond film in its own right though a bit flawed for sure.
Back to top Go down
FourDot
'R'
'R'
FourDot

PostSubject: Re: Diamonds Are Forever in Review   Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 12:29 pm

A sloppy mess of a film.

Ed Bishop rules. I'll give it that. That and Lana Wood's ample chest.

Nifty and amusing dialogue, but pretty poorly written aside from that. The film begins to lose me in the second act. By the time they've followed up a demolition-derby car chase with... another one in the very next scene I'm resisting the urge to turn the bastard off. The oil rig climax has me shouting obscenities at the screen, with the flustered Charles Gray and the bikini'd/mostly silenced Jill St. John providing the only salves. Even they can't overcome that Bond dispatches the villain while sitting in a crane, which makes Balje's legendary tow-truck suggestions seem not-so-mundane.

Ugh. There's a grocery list of problems I've got with this thing that can't be staved off by any charming, off-kilter quirks and witty bon mots that the film might have to offer. I don't think I'll be watching it again in a long, long time.

Then again, I'd probably be inclined to watch it again before revisiting most of the post-Cubby stuff. Probably.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Diamonds Are Forever in Review   Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 12:37 pm

FourDot wrote:
A sloppy mess of a film.

Khan is gonna come a-callin'. Better be ready.
Back to top Go down
FourDot
'R'
'R'
FourDot

PostSubject: Re: Diamonds Are Forever in Review   Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 12:49 pm

ambler wrote:
FourDot wrote:
A sloppy mess of a film.

Khan is gonna come a-callin'. Better be ready.

Well, I half-assedly went to town on it on Pre 3/14 MI6, fully expecting to flayed alive (this thing aint "underrated," certainly not in this community). But apart from getting jabbed by Sharky for not liking the Wint/Kidd motif, I got off Scott free. I think.

I know what's coming.

But...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw3g7gT4OBo#t=7m13s
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: s   Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 1:51 pm

I actually agree that DAF is sloppy in many respects. The plot in particular. But for all that DAF remains the funniest Bond film, perhaps the most fascinating Bond film, tremendously entertaining and downright charismatic. Roll that all together and you've got a Bond film that is bested by only a handful of entries in the series.
Back to top Go down
colly
Q Branch
Q Branch
colly

PostSubject: Re: Diamonds Are Forever in Review   Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 2:03 pm

DAF works like a sturggling stand-up comic, throwing way too many lines in the off chance he'll get a laugh. Sure theres the occasional gold, but theres too many ho-hum moments. You really need to be in a forgiving mood to enjoy too much of it, and even then its not a patch on the best of Bond.

Lazenby in OHMSS, Connery in DN, even the Broz in GE - all much more witty and funny without making it painstakingly obvious.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Diamonds Are Forever in Review   Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 2:04 pm

colly wrote:
Lazenby in OHMSS, Connery in DN, even the Broz in GE - all much more witty and funny without making it painstakingly obvious.

Extraordinary. I need to move to another planet.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: zs   Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 2:08 pm

ambler wrote:
colly wrote:

I hope that planet's big enough for the both of us.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Diamonds Are Forever in Review   Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 2:10 pm

Stilicho Bias wrote:
ambler wrote:
colly wrote:

I'm confounded at the choice of DN. Connery in TB or GF would be more suitable candidates, at least.
Back to top Go down
colly
Q Branch
Q Branch
colly

PostSubject: Re: Diamonds Are Forever in Review   Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 2:12 pm

Sharky wrote:
Stilicho Bias wrote:
ambler wrote:
colly wrote:

I'm confounded at the choice of DN. Connery in TB or GF would be more suitable candidates, at least.

DN, GF, TB - its all good. I didnt need to include every film where Bond is more naturally funny. ;)
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Diamonds Are Forever in Review   Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 2:19 pm

colly wrote:
Sharky wrote:
Stilicho Bias wrote:
ambler wrote:
colly wrote:

DN, GF, TB - its all good. I didnt need to include every film where Bond is more naturally funny. ;)

Well in DN, Bond is naturally blunt, and rather humourless.
Back to top Go down
Drax
'R'
'R'
Drax

Location : Slicing my enemies limb from limb into quivering bloody sushi.

PostSubject: Re: Diamonds Are Forever in Review   Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 2:57 pm

colly wrote:

I'm baffled by this. Nothing in Dr. No was particularly funny, apart from maybe the scene where Bond tries to sneak his beretta away from M. Humour wasn't Lazenby's strong point and Brosnan has all the wit of a horny 8th grader just learning to play with himself.
Back to top Go down
Louis Armstrong
Q Branch
Q Branch
Louis Armstrong

PostSubject: Re: Diamonds Are Forever in Review   Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 7:34 pm

There's also the dead driver gag in DN and the "I think they were on their way to a funeral" line.

Drax wrote:
Humour wasn't Lazenby's strong point
Disagree. I love his Moneypenny scene. Lots of his one-liners fall flat over the whole film, sure, but his cheekiness is his best asset IMO.

Some parts of Diamonds are funny, but what I find a lot more amusing are its failures. That moon buggy chase is horrible. laugh But I can only laugh so much before finding it a snooze.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Diamonds Are Forever in Review   Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 7:35 pm

Louis Armstrong wrote:
That moon buggy chase is horrible. laugh

The wheel comes off at that point. Literally.
Back to top Go down
Drax
'R'
'R'
Drax

PostSubject: Re: Diamonds Are Forever in Review   Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 7:43 pm

Louis Armstrong wrote:

Disagree. I love his Moneypenny scene. Lots of his one-liners fall flat over the whole film, sure, but his cheekiness is his best asset IMO.

I love his Moneypenny scene too (and the M one as well)-- by humour I was referring more to the wit and one-liners a la the rest of the series and found at their greatest in DAF. He would have gotten better in time, but this was one area that didn't really fly as well in OHMSS. I do like "Maybe he should have been gift-wrapped" quite a bit though and the "Usually small..." line at Quarterdeck.
Back to top Go down
Drax
'R'
'R'
Drax

PostSubject: Re: Diamonds Are Forever in Review   Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 7:47 pm

Louis Armstrong wrote:
That moon buggy chase is horrible

Connery's performance and total lack of irony make that scene work for me. Plus it has one of my favorite lines in the film in "It's gone berserk!". Kind of sums up the whole movie, really. As a sidenote I've often wondered if it was being suggested in that sequence, as many conspiracy theorists have, that the moon landings were staged.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Diamonds Are Forever in Review   Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 7:56 pm

Drax wrote:
As a sidenote I've often wondered if it was being suggested in that sequence, as many conspiracy theorists have, that the moon landings were staged.
Maybe. There is that strange moment when the astronauts seem to be simulating low-g even when they halfheartedly give chase to Bond.
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: Diamonds Are Forever in Review   Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 8:06 pm

I love the "WTF" expression on Sean as he's trying to figure out how to drive the moonbuggy. And the "It's gone berserk!" line is indeed absolute class. Heck, the entire scene is so knowingly and enjoyably off it's cake that even Guy Hamilton's obligatory "spell it out for the dickheads" line of "Get him out of that moonbuggy" can't bring it down too much.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: s   Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 8:12 pm

A bit OT, but I thought OHMSS had its fair share of bona fide humor and that Laz carried it off quite well:

"I'm not much of a sporting man...even at my best." The irony of that coming from Bond is delicious.

"Just a slight stiffness coming on."

Ruby biting into drumstick and rolling her eyes at Bond--it's gotta be the most visually hilarious scene in all of Bondom.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: a   Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 8:13 pm

Lazenby. wrote:
I love the "WTF" expression on Sean as he's trying to figure out how to drive the moonbuggy. And the "It's gone berserk!" line is indeed absolute class. Heck, the entire scene is so knowingly and enjoyably off it's cake that even Guy Hamilton's obligatory "spell it out for the dickheads" line of "Get him out of that moonbuggy" can't bring it down too much.

"What is this? Amateur night?"

laugh
Back to top Go down
colly
Q Branch
Q Branch
colly

PostSubject: Re: Diamonds Are Forever in Review   Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 11:28 pm

If I'll attempt to cover DN...

"Sergeant make sure he doesnt get away!"

"Almost immediately."

"Freelance! For Whom?"

"Tell me, does the toppling of American missiles really compensate for having no hands?"

"My tailor, Saville Row."

"Nooooow, Mr Jones - talk before your friend comes back. [gun to head] who are you working for?"

"Be careful of her nail varnish!"

"What's the matter, do you need help?"

Barely covers it - but in all these lines Connery's either got more wit, more composure and a much more natural delivery than his DAF lines; whether its a laugh or a knowing chuckle at Bond's devilish ruthlessness, I get a much greater kick out of them. Theres no need for set ups that exist wholely to produce lines like "I was out walking my rat and I seemed to have lost my way!" Har. Har.

As for OHMSS - the whole Sir Hilary Bray at Piz Gloria exchange is the most humourous sequence ever shown in a Bond film. Right from the start he's delivering subtlely naughty gags that prey on our own sense of dramatic irony - "we live in a world of avarice and deceit!" Not to mention all the sex gags. laugh

And theres his usual array of one liners, Draco and Olympe get some humour, and even M/Moneypenny/Q get some laughs not out of some extravagant stand-up comedy line, but just a short laugh or two playing on how they all need Bond. Great stuff. :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Diamonds Are Forever in Review   Diamonds Are Forever in Review - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Diamonds Are Forever in Review
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next