More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic?

Go down 
+17
Tubes
Seve
CJB
trevanian
lachesis
Largo's Shark
MBalje
bondfan06
Makeshift Python
Control
tiffanywint
Toppers
AMC Hornet
Hilly
Gravity's Silhouette
Perilagu Khan
James Bond
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic?   How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 4:11 am

tiffanywint wrote:

CJB:

Ist Bond: NSNA, first in cinema: ? First in cinema-opening-run: ?

First in cinema was DAD.

Yeah, I've got no luck when it comes to Bond firsts. laugh
Back to top Go down
bondfan06
'R'
'R'
bondfan06

PostSubject: Re: How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic?   How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 5:29 am

Quote :
bondfan06:

Ist Bond: DN (tv), first in cinema: DAD, first in cinema-opening-run: DAD

First cinema opening run was CR not DAD.
Back to top Go down
Seve
Q Branch
Q Branch
Seve

PostSubject: Re: How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic?   How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 5:34 am

tiffanywint wrote:

Item 1: First Bond film that you viewed, in any format, TV, cinema, vhs, dvd, download, whatever --and that you were actually able to appreciate, as opposed to being 5 years old and watching it with a big dopey grin on your face.

Item 2: first Bond film that you actually saw in cinema, and if different, first Bond film that you saw in cinema in opening-release
[/b]
===

For me: item one is DAF, in cinema re-release

item 2: first Bond film in cinema was DAF of course, but first opening-release Bond was LALD.

Item 1 - The Spy Who Loved Me
Item 2 - Goldfinger
Back to top Go down
James Bond
'R'
'R'
James Bond

PostSubject: Re: How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic?   How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 9:53 am

First Bond film in cinema - Die another Day
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic?   How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 1:49 pm

tiffanywint wrote:

Lachesis:

Ist Bond: DAF, Ist in cinema: ?, first in opening-cinema-run: LALD

I have to confess to being a bit hazy about what film I saw first but I caught them all bar YOLT in a relatively short spell - (frustratingly Yolt was often shown on trailer so the death of Bond became something I had to know about). I don't think the touring double bills were that logical either 'From Russia With Love' is the earliest memory I think I either saw that first or saw it most times in that early run but oddly Dr No I only saw once till it turned up on TV.

so for me
1st Bond seen in the cinema was FRWL sometime during the cinema run of LALD
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic?   How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 6:27 pm

lachesis wrote:

I have to confess to being a bit hazy about what film I saw first but I caught them all bar YOLT in a relatively short spell - (frustratingly Yolt was often shown on trailer so the death of Bond became something I had to know about). I don't think the touring double bills were that logical either 'From Russia With Love' is the earliest memory I think I either saw that first or saw it most times in that early run but oddly Dr No I only saw once till it turned up on TV.

so for me
1st Bond seen in the cinema was FRWL sometime during the cinema run of LALD
So basically you figure FRWL was your first Bond as part of the touring double bills, which were so popular back in the day.

I never caught DN either in cinema but it did come around on a triple-bill with FRWL and GF, but as I said earlier, me and my little posse of popcorn-munching coke-slurping pals didn't get our butts to the theatre on time for the first movie. Somebody probably got in trouble from their mommy for not making their bed and held us up. Some kids just didn't have the proper Bond discipline.

I remember we all watched GF and TB on one afternoon, and then I convinced the others that we should stay and watch the double-bill over again, so we all phoned our mommies to get permission to stay.laugh
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic?   How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 6:42 pm

bondfan06 wrote:
Quote :
bondfan06:

I don't want to get too anal here, but if you saw DAD first in cinema, wouldn't that have also been during it's opening run? I'm not aware that it returned to cinema in re-release, but if I'm wrong I stand corrected.
Back to top Go down
bondfan06
'R'
'R'
bondfan06

PostSubject: Re: How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic?   How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 6:49 pm

tiffanywint wrote:
bondfan06 wrote:
Quote :
bondfan06:

I don't want to get too anal here, but if you saw DAD first in cinema, wouldn't that have also been during it's opening run? I'm not aware that it returned to cinema in re-release, but if I'm wrong I stand corrected.

I guess your right my mistake. I did see DAD in it's opening run.

Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: a   How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 7:13 pm

tiffanywint wrote:
bondfan06 wrote:
Quote :
bondfan06:

I'm not aware that it [DAD] returned to cinema in re-release

Bloody hell, I hope not!

:shock:
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic?   How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 2:26 am

[quote="Perilagu Khan"][quote="tiffanywint"]
bondfan06 wrote:
Quote :
bondfan06:

I'm not aware that it [DAD] returned to cinema in re-release

Bloody hell, I hope not!

:shock:

Oh, come on.

If DAD had had a re-release any time in the last ten years, I would have gone to it, even though I have it in my DVD collection.

I may be the lone voice in the wilderness here, but I liked DAD.

So my tastes suck. Sue me if you can find me. Someone had to have liked DAD - it couldn't have been that successful solely from one-time viewers (I saw it at least three times in the theatre before it went to video).

Anyone willing to cut DAF, MR and/or AVTAK any slack should lay off DAD. I'm not saying it was perfect, but if you're not a perfectionist (as I'm obviously not) you have to admit it was fun!

Rant over...until the next time.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic?   How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 3:02 pm

AMC, you Tiff and Sharky should get together to form the DAD Resistance. Back in the olde days of MI6 there was some little group that called itself the AVTAK Resistance.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic?   How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 6:04 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
AMC, you Tiff and Sharky should get together to form the DAD Resistance. Back in the olde days of MI6 there was some little group that called itself the AVTAK Resistance.

I could only join this group grudgingly. As much as there are many elements of DAD that I really do enjoy, being a fan of the escapist Bonds, there is so much I would change,if I could hunker down with Tamahori and the editor (and DAD is the only Bond I would wish to make major alternations too, as opposed to QoS which I would simply toss in the dumpster as beyond salvage).

The whole CGI wankfest on the cargo plane, is massive action overkill coming off the grand-scale excitement of the Ice Palace.

Madonna ruins the Blades scene or at least the parts that she is in.

Bond should not be wallowing in a prison camp for 14 months. Leave that for Bourne (a good place for him, I might add).

However I do love the whole extended Ice Palace segment, especially the car duel. This is classic colourful, fantasy, escapist Bond. And Pike makes a great femme fatale.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic?   How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 8:07 pm

If not Tiff, at least we have the Loomeister and Gravy.
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic?   How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 3:58 am

You wouldn't find me in the AVTAK resistance, although I will respect anyone who likes it because it was the first Bond film they saw and therefore has a soft spot for it, as I have for DAF. Otherwise I would chuck it, as Tiffany would do with QoS.

Moonraker, however, is the one I would travel back through time to fix, if my ambitions were that trivial. But then, I might run afoul of all those who like it the way it is.

But wait - if I changed it, no one would ever know. But then, my idea of 'improvements' might not make it better in anyone else's eyes. But the same might be said of Tiff's reworking of DAD...

The mind boggles. :scratch:
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic?   How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 5:21 am

Quote :
You wouldn't find me in the AVTAK resistance, although I will respect anyone who likes it because it was the first Bond film they saw and therefore has a soft spot for it, as I have for DAF.

I love both of those Bond films, but saw neither of 'em first. Do I still qualify for enlistment?
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: s   How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 2:32 pm

AMC Hornet wrote:
You wouldn't find me in the AVTAK resistance, although I will respect anyone who likes it because it was the first Bond film they saw and therefore has a soft spot for it, as I have for DAF. Otherwise I would chuck it, as Tiffany would do with QoS.

Moonraker, however, is the one I would travel back through time to fix, if my ambitions were that trivial. But then, I might run afoul of all those who like it the way it is.

But wait - if I changed it, no one would ever know. But then, my idea of 'improvements' might not make it better in anyone else's eyes. But the same might be said of Tiff's reworking of DAD...

The mind boggles. :scratch:

How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic? - Page 2 M134
Back to top Go down
Tubes
Q Branch
Q Branch
Tubes

PostSubject: Re: How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic?   How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 3:46 pm

There were DAD defenders on the old forum. It mostly consisted of preteens and teenagers. I think I was the last one until I rewatched DAD again and was surprised at how much worse it was to what I remembered.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic?   How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 3:48 pm

Tubes wrote:
There were DAD defenders on the old forum. It mostly consisted of preteens and teenagers.

Except Chandler Bong.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic?   How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 3:56 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
I would join. I've seen DAD a few times recently. It isn't that bad, and does a better job of preserving the "Bond appeal" than TND, TWINE, or QOS.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic?   How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 7:08 pm

Actually I am off the fence. I will join the DAD Appreciation Society. As a fan of the escapist Bonds, the film does deliver in this regard. There's a lot of neat stuff going on. And I do believe Brozzer was at his Bond best in this film. The film does work as an exciting, colourful, Bond adventure, incorporating much of the benign bizzarre element.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic?   How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 9:56 pm

Largo's Shark wrote:
Tubes wrote:
There were DAD defenders on the old forum. It mostly consisted of preteens and teenagers.

Except Chandler Bong.

a lone defiant voice in the wilderness of hatred and bile
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic?   How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 4:19 am

Thank you Harms & Tiffany.

Tubes - screw you.

(And I mean that in the best possible way.)
Back to top Go down
Seve
Q Branch
Q Branch
Seve

PostSubject: Re: How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic?   How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 4:06 am

tiffanywint wrote:
Actually I am off the fence. I will join the DAD Appreciation Society. As a fan of the escapist Bonds, the film does deliver in this regard. There's a lot of neat stuff going on. And I do believe Brozzer was at his Bond best in this film. The film does work as an exciting, colourful, Bond adventure, incorporating much of the benign bizzarre element.

good on you aka timmer, it's one of those films that's so DAD it's good
8)
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic?   How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 7:55 pm

Seve wrote:
tiffanywint wrote:

good on you aka timmer, it's one of those films that's so DAD it's good
8)

Well I do enjoy watching it, moreso than the other Brozzer films. It does have its issues though. It is a tad cartooonish, especially at the end, with the robo-suit. The movie is rather maybe, a bit too much. The dialogue is very sharp. There are a lot great lines, but there are almost too many. It seems the characters are delivering one zinger after another.

I particularly like the Bond-Zao exchange when they meet again at the Ice Palace. Bond makes some crack about Zao's sparkling personality. Zao responds by drilling him in the stomach, and deadpans, "how's that for a punch line?" I thought Brozzer was going to say "touche good Zao." Bond getting a taste of his own snappy humour.

Bond does deliver the "coldest weapon of all" line to Frost with gravitas. The movie does have a few reflective moments.

And as someone else pointed out, DAD allows Brozzer-Bond to just be Bond. Bond here is about the mission. He's not burdened by girl-issues or M issues, or what's it all about-issues. He's closer to blunt instrument in this film, than any of his previous efforts I thought, although to be fair, he wasn't very bothered by any of Trevelyans bs in GE either. He does go rather blunt instrument on Alec. So while Brozzer-Bond did find the blunt-instrument Bond in his previous films, he was also saddled with other baggage that needed sorting through. In DAD he can focus pretty much on the mission, and the job of putting the bad guys down. Just like Sean used to do. :)

DAD I would say, is not the sum of its parts. The parts are better. The sum however, is somewhat lacking.
Back to top Go down
saint mark
Head of Station
Head of Station
saint mark

PostSubject: Re: How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic?   How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 8:23 pm

I first became a fan of James Bond 007 when i discovered my dad's collection of pocketbooks, to be honest I first nicked all his Leslie Charteris Saint books and then continued with the Ian Fleming and Kingsly Amis books. WHich became my property and got read many a time. I still have all of them even if I have gotten different editions and in English as well.

I lived in a village with no cinema so did not know anything about the 007 movies.

When I moved to the city I got to watch an awefull lot of scifi movies in cinema (this is pre-video) and I decided to buy a ticket to the movie Moonraker (sounded scifi enough and the big cartboard with Roger Moore did look scifi enough and did not mention anything about JB or 007) and the book Moonraker had been released in my country translated as "High Stakes".
So I saw Moonraker and discovered 007 on the big screen. I probably watched that movie 4 or 5 times on the big screen. The propritor of the cinema gave me a list of 007 movies he was going to show in the next 6 months so I got a fairly quick showing of all 007 movies up to that time.
My dad bought me and my best mate of that time tickets for the first showing of FYEO in our city. I attended every first night untill LTK with my mate he gave up 007 due to Dalton. WIth Brosnan I saw GE, TWINE & TND the first night as well. With DAD they decided to postpone its release to January of the next year because of Harry Potter. SO I saw that in the first week in our neighbour country Belgium in a cinema filled with Dutch folks.
CR first night showing, QoS due to private circumstances the 4th 5night when it was out. QoS has been the only movie I did see once in cinema and don't have it on dvd.

Have seen GF 10 or 12 times in cinema, the last time last year.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic?   How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

How Did You Become a James Bond Fanatic?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next