More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

5 Directors you hate. Period.

Go down 
+18
CJB
dr. strangelove
Harmsway
Hilly
Fairbairn-Sykes
HJackson
trevanian
Prisoner Monkeys
Ravenstone
Gravity's Silhouette
Makeshift Python
hegottheboot
Jack Wade
j7wild
Stamper
Largo's Shark
The White Tuxedo
Control
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

5 Directors you hate. Period. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 5 Directors you hate. Period.   5 Directors you hate. Period. - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 10:28 pm

Van Sant's a good choice. I hate all of his work. Shit director.

Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: 5 Directors you hate. Period.   5 Directors you hate. Period. - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 10:35 pm

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
I think in order to say you outright HATE a director, you have to be willing to say you outright hate all of their movies and probably their personality as people as well.

In which case, I don't hate Spielberg and Lucas then. I just think they're over-rated.

After all, there's Jaws and Raiders to consider.

But I do hate Friedkin. Never seen a film of his I could tolerate. Well, not knowingly anyway. And I find Tarantino tedious, mainly because he's built up to be this master of his craft. Pulp Fiction is okay; Jackie Brown was a bit better; Kill Bill was tedious.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: 5 Directors you hate. Period.   5 Directors you hate. Period. - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 10:46 pm

Michael of Bay.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: 5 Directors you hate. Period.   5 Directors you hate. Period. - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 11:19 pm

Tarantino made one movie: Jackie Brown. The rest are tepid and atrociously bad compilations from all over cinema.
The only Gus Van Sant film I ever liked was My Own Private Idaho, but even there he made some stylistic missteps. And don't even get me started on the most blatant case of plagiarism ever done.

Friedkin is someone I try to take at face value. He is a bit ornery and extremely blustering, but it's part of his character and reflects in his films. Though he must at times be a pain to work with. TFC is an outright classic for many reasons but is also an experience. Though why they threw away the original mono audio for a bad remix is beyond me. However I'm now ranking TLADILA as his best, as big of a fan of TFC as I am. Live and Die is the 1980's in cinematic form and it precedes the whole Miami Vice fascination, along with Lethal Weapon. To me this is probably the second best film of the decade behind Blade Runner. I listen to the soundtrack regularly. When was a mainstream film allowed to be this nasty, this arty, this sleazy, this burnt out and this honest? Never, because it was done independently and shot very quickly much like TFC. Friedkin works best this way.

Directors who should come back to their senses:
Spielberg is overrated and to me hasn't made a good film since 1987. And I loathe Color Purple and E.T.
Lucas lost it many many years ago. case in point: the bastardization of THX 1138, which was far worse than anything done to Star Wars, and completely goes against the meaning of the film.
Scorsese pains me, because his output 2000 is nothing like himself, and absolutely pedestrian. Look at five minutes of the stupid Departed or five minutes of the putrid Aviator and tell me it is the same person who made Mean Streets or even Bringing Out the Dead.

And poor John Woo. Thank goodness he left Hollywood. If he ever reunites with Chow Yun-fat it will be glorious.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: 5 Directors you hate. Period.   5 Directors you hate. Period. - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 12:05 am

I like THE FRENCH CONNECTION and THE EXORCIST (theatrical version). *shrug*

I do hate the commentary that he did for the VERTIGO DVD a few years ago. Worst commentary I've ever heard... about 10 minutes of. As I recall, he literally just said what was happening on screen.

"And now Jimmy Stewart is sitting on the couch." "Now he's looking at a bra."

Of all the films that could have had some knowledgable film professor give an insightful commentary to. And they picked Friedkin. What the hell?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: 5 Directors you hate. Period.   5 Directors you hate. Period. - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 12:15 am

hegottheboot wrote:
Spielberg is overrated and to me hasn't made a good film since 1987.

A.I. Is one of the finest films of this century. Truly underrated.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: 5 Directors you hate. Period.   5 Directors you hate. Period. - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 3:47 am

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
I think in order to say you outright HATE a director, you have to be willing to say you outright hate all of their movies and probably their personality as people as well. Like, people listing Spielberg or Lucas, can you say you hate the man? Or their films? Really? Or are you just jaded and disillusioned and sick of them? Saying you don't particularly care for someone's movies isn't the same as HATING them.

Here are some guys I hate, and whose films I hate.

LARS VON TRIER

GUS VAN SANT

TERENCE MALICK

ATOM EGOYAN

MICHAEL BAY.

Thos are fellas who get outright hate from me, and whose films I never want to see again.
Why do you hate Malick? I understand disliking his films, but the man himself?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: 5 Directors you hate. Period.   5 Directors you hate. Period. - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 3:57 am

Harmsway wrote:
Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
I think in order to say you outright HATE a director, you have to be willing to say you outright hate all of their movies and probably their personality as people as well. Like, people listing Spielberg or Lucas, can you say you hate the man? Or their films? Really? Or are you just jaded and disillusioned and sick of them? Saying you don't particularly care for someone's movies isn't the same as HATING them.

Here are some guys I hate, and whose films I hate.

LARS VON TRIER

GUS VAN SANT

TERENCE MALICK

ATOM EGOYAN

MICHAEL BAY.

Thos are fellas who get outright hate from me, and whose films I never want to see again.

Why do you hate Malick?

Because I like him.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: 5 Directors you hate. Period.   5 Directors you hate. Period. - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 4:18 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:

Me too. They're good films.

The rest of his resume doesn't impress me, though. Especially SORCERER.
Back to top Go down
dr. strangelove
'R'
'R'
dr. strangelove

PostSubject: Re: 5 Directors you hate. Period.   5 Directors you hate. Period. - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 5:41 am

Lucas seems like a pretty good guy, but I agree that at this point, his career is beyond saving. If he surrounded himself with talented people and had more of an open mind, I think he'd be able to put out some pretty amazing films. However, it's incredibly obvious both from his more recent films and from his verbal statements that he has no interest in doing that, and would just rather choose to surround himself with yes-men that let him do whatever the hell he wants. He should really call it quits.

Michael Bay is another guy that still has some potential left, as I think his films have some great energy and he does have a pretty good visual eye. His problem is self-editing. His films are filled to the brim with excess...well, everything. And he it doesn't seem like he knows how to stop himself, either (see Transformers 2 and 3). So, I'd say he should probably hang it up, as well.

If Tim Burton never directed another film for the rest of his life, I would not give a shit.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: 5 Directors you hate. Period.   5 Directors you hate. Period. - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 5:53 am

Control wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:

Do you like WAGES OF FEAR?
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

PostSubject: Re: 5 Directors you hate. Period.   5 Directors you hate. Period. - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 7:10 am

Christopher Nolan

Christopher Nolan

Christopher Nolan

Christopher Nolan

Christopher Nolan

He's the guy who makes those over-rated, over-hyped, noisy films with the Homoerotic Closeted Batman.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: 5 Directors you hate. Period.   5 Directors you hate. Period. - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 7:22 am

5 Directors you hate. Period. - Page 2 CGu8E
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

PostSubject: Re: 5 Directors you hate. Period.   5 Directors you hate. Period. - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 7:46 am

David Lynch!!

Twin Peaks The TV Series and The Elephant Man are the only good thing he ever made.

Dune is a disgrace!

Frank Herbert is still rolling in his grave because of it!

Blue Velvet and Wild At Heart left a bad taste in my mouth after watching them.

Mulholland Drive and Eraserhead and Inland Empire: I am still saying WTF were those?

Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: 5 Directors you hate. Period.   5 Directors you hate. Period. - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 8:32 am

5 Directors you hate. Period. - Page 2 Capture-2
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: 5 Directors you hate. Period.   5 Directors you hate. Period. - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 1:32 pm

trevanian wrote:
Control wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:

Do you like WAGES OF FEAR?

Yeah, it's an excellent film.

I don't hate SORCERER just because it's a remake, though. I hate it because it's an awful movie. laugh
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: 5 Directors you hate. Period.   5 Directors you hate. Period. - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 1:33 pm

j7wild wrote:
David Lynch!!

Twin Peaks The TV Series and The Elephant Man are the only good thing he ever made.

Dune is a disgrace!

Frank Herbert is still rolling in his grave because of it!

Blue Velvet and Wild At Heart left a bad taste in my mouth after watching them.

Mulholland Drive and Eraserhead and Inland Empire: I am still saying WTF were those?

THE ELEPHANT MAN is really bottom-of-the-barrel Lynch, in my opinion.

Check out THE STRAIGHT STORY and FIRE WALK WITH ME.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: 5 Directors you hate. Period.   5 Directors you hate. Period. - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 3:49 pm

I quite like THE ELEPHANT MAN, but BLUE VELVET and MULHOLLAND DR. are my favorites.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: 5 Directors you hate. Period.   5 Directors you hate. Period. - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 7:33 pm

Sorry, but whatever anyone's problems with Nolan are (and I know everyone round here seems to hate him), the claim that Nolan's Batman is "Homoerotic Closeted Batman" made me laugh out loud. Nolan's Batman's primary motivation for all three of Nolan's films is to get laid. He retires from being Batman when the girl he has a crush on dies. Then the instant Marion Cotillard shows up in the rain at his house he shags her. And then concocts an elaborate heroic faked death so that he can go bang Anne Hathaway in Italy for the rest of his life.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: 5 Directors you hate. Period.   5 Directors you hate. Period. - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 8:11 pm

I don't hate Nolan. I just don't like everything he's done.

He's definitely benefited the blockbuster "genre", though. In the 00s, I can't think of a director who created interesting, well-made films that also generated a lot of cash as well as Nolan did. Usually, blockbusters tend to be mindless shit that everyone forgets about in a few months. Mike Bay and Bart Rattner come to mind.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: 5 Directors you hate. Period.   5 Directors you hate. Period. - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 10:57 pm

I don't hate Nolan either.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: 5 Directors you hate. Period.   5 Directors you hate. Period. - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 12:27 am

Me either.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: 5 Directors you hate. Period.   5 Directors you hate. Period. - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 2:39 pm

Nor me.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: 5 Directors you hate. Period.   5 Directors you hate. Period. - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 2:41 pm

"Hate the sin, love the sinner". - Gandhi
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: 5 Directors you hate. Period.   5 Directors you hate. Period. - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 5:28 pm

Christopher Nolan and Christopher Neame are secretly related.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 5 Directors you hate. Period.   5 Directors you hate. Period. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

5 Directors you hate. Period.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next