More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The moon was big last night

Go down 
+4
Salomé
G section
Hilly
Jack Wade
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

The moon was big last night Empty
PostSubject: The moon was big last night   The moon was big last night EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 4:05 pm

The moon appeared 20 percent bigger and 15 percent brighter last night. Apparently this was given the incredibly original nickname, "supermoon."

The moon was big last night Supermoon_comparison
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The moon was big last night   The moon was big last night EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 4:49 pm

Wow, to be honest I could not tell the difference in size, though it was pretty bright out.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: The moon was big last night   The moon was big last night EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 5:00 pm

Willard Whyte wrote:
Wow, to be honest I could not tell the difference in size, though it was pretty bright out.

Ditto. i did read somewhere that people thought it'd cause earthquakes and volcanic explosions. Total guff. Looked alright otherwise.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
G section
Q Branch
Q Branch
G section

PostSubject: Re: The moon was big last night   The moon was big last night EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 5:05 pm

Coming home on the bus last night, it looked very orange against a back-drop of blue sky. Wished I'd taken a photograpgh.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The moon was big last night   The moon was big last night EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 5:15 pm

I've bought the film rights to 'Supermoon'. Proposed budget $180m, one percent of which will appear on the screen. Helga Kurylenko to work for food.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: The moon was big last night   The moon was big last night EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 5:17 pm

Either it was a coincidence or the late-night programmers have a sense of humor but I was a tiny bit amused when I heard CCR's "Bad moon rising" come on whilst driving home last night.
Back to top Go down
retrokitty
'R'
'R'
retrokitty

PostSubject: Re: The moon was big last night   The moon was big last night EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 5:27 pm

I took this image last night after dinner.... I love seeing the moon's belly button.

The moon was big last night 190398_10150111551136619_636111618_6890835_3526966_n
Back to top Go down
Drax
'R'
'R'
Drax

Location : Slicing my enemies limb from limb into quivering bloody sushi.

PostSubject: Re: The moon was big last night   The moon was big last night EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 5:53 pm

Since nobody's mentioned it, the increase in size is due to the moon being at its perigee, or the closest it gets to earth. The last time this happened was in 1993.
Back to top Go down
Satorious
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Satorious

PostSubject: Re: The moon was big last night   The moon was big last night EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 7:16 pm

In terms of brightness, it was probably as light as I can recall seeing a full moon. However, I'm sure I've seen it look bigger (and closer). I believe there is some kind of atmospheric effect which creates the optical illusion of making the moon look bigger than it actually is - but of course I can't be bothered to check this out any further (so it's probably complete tat)...

Anyway, I'm blaming this Supermoon for a terrible nights sleep. I don't usually wake up naked in a zoo either...
Back to top Go down
retrokitty
'R'
'R'
retrokitty

PostSubject: Re: The moon was big last night   The moon was big last night EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 7:21 pm

Yea, I've seen big orange harvest moons that looked four times the size of that one last night. I was bright but I don't think I would have said, "Wow! Look at the moon," had I not heard all about the wowness of it through the day.
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: The moon was big last night   The moon was big last night EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 6:29 pm

Jack Wade wrote:

The moon was big last night Supermoon_comparison

Apparently this was given the incredibly original nickname, "supermoon."

I'll say. Two very big cheeks and a massive crack there. ;)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The moon was big last night   The moon was big last night Empty

Back to top Go down

The moon was big last night
Page 1 of 1