More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The Coen Brothers

Go down 
+2
The White Tuxedo
Makeshift Python
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

The Coen Brothers Empty
PostSubject: The Coen Brothers   The Coen Brothers EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 7:06 am

Kind of surprised to find that there was no thread dedicated to them here. Coulda sworn there was one, but maybe that was at the olde KTBEU.

I recently got a blu-ray box set with four of their films (Blood Simple, Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing and Fargo). Having just watched the first three, I felt like I want to continue with their filmography than just jump to Fargo. I don't own Barton Fink and I'm very curious about why it was not included in the box set since it was also released by Fox. In fact, there is no blu-ray release at all except one overseas, from what I hear the transfer is substandard. Why has it not gotten a release so far in the US? :| It's so odd, TROLL 2 can get a blu-ray special edition but a fucking Coen Bros film that's regarded as one of their best works doesn't get anything.

Oh well, I'll just watch Fargo.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

The Coen Brothers Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Coen Brothers   The Coen Brothers EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 8:30 am

Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

The Coen Brothers Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Coen Brothers   The Coen Brothers EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 8:31 am

There is a Barton Fink Blu-Ray:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0070HKDMG/ref=cm_cd_asin_lnk

Fargo is on my Top 5 Best movie list!
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

The Coen Brothers Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Coen Brothers   The Coen Brothers EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 8:39 am

Region 2 probably. Or Region B or whatever.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

The Coen Brothers Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Coen Brothers   The Coen Brothers EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 8:56 am

I believe it's good for the region in the US but as I said on the first post it's supposed to be a very poor transfer, so I rather wait for a proper release in the US.
Back to top Go down
MBalje
Q Branch
Q Branch
MBalje

The Coen Brothers Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Coen Brothers   The Coen Brothers EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 12:23 pm

In 2011 some Dutch paper created option to collect every of those 14 movie's for € 5,00 each to collect in a big book where already one there movies to be include.

True Grit (2010) is the only one missing and DVD/BD release be on my wishlist.

Funny be i thaught before True Grit be released it be funny Matt Damon whas missing in one of there movies whyle his other Ocean friends playing in 1 or more movies from those directers.

Later on it be confirmd that Roger Deakins who be the cinematographer
for a big part of those movies going to work on Bond 23 aka Skyfall and Javier Bardem (the lead of No Country for Old Men) get part in the movie.

Barton Fink on DVD be released by Universal in The Netherlands, the BD release is from Universal too and i expect it be Regio B or Regio Free and mix of all R2/R4 and R5 country's. Universal always be studio who sometimes release R2 releases as R4 and R5 too. R4 Australia is now part of Regio B. Barton Flink possible get the same situation as Terminator, this be MGM/Fox movie but on released by Fox and Sony on DVD but on BD released by Universal. Big part of the present releases of Universal are regio Free.

This page confirmd that Universal will release the movie BD in USA too. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Barton-Fink-Blu-ray/33015/
Back to top Go down
HJackson
'R'
'R'
HJackson

The Coen Brothers Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Coen Brothers   The Coen Brothers EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 2:38 pm

Where did you hear that the Barton Fink blu is very poor? I don't own it, but from what I've heard it's more than acceptable.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

The Coen Brothers Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Coen Brothers   The Coen Brothers EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 5:42 pm

Heard it from various forums. Besides, I'd hate to own a movie with the rating sticker on the front cover and spine. Weirdo Europeans.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

The Coen Brothers Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Coen Brothers   The Coen Brothers EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 8:59 pm

My favorite works by them:

BLOOD SIMPLE
THE BIG LEBOWSKI
RAISING ARIZONA
MILLER'S CROSSING
FARGO

I re-watched NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN recently. It's actually not a bad film. Gorgeous cinematography by Deakins.

Didn't care for TRUE GRIT or A SERIOUS MAN. I'm in the middle when it comes to BURN AFTER READING. Malkovich was hilarious, though.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

The Coen Brothers Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Coen Brothers   The Coen Brothers EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 11:21 pm

RAISING ARIZONA is just about my least favorite of the "pure" Coen films. INTOLERABLE CRUELTY and THE LADYKILLERS being impure. On the other hand, BURN AFTER READING is by far my favorite of their newer films, which is strange because I've always preferred their "more serious" ones. It's one of the few out-and-out comedy films that I really like. It always surprises people when I tell them I don't like or watch many comedies.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

The Coen Brothers Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Coen Brothers   The Coen Brothers EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 11:52 pm

First time I watched FARGO two years ago I didn't really care for it. I liked it a lot more this time, but I still prefer BLOOD SIMPLE. That one might actually be my favorite Coen film.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

The Coen Brothers Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Coen Brothers   The Coen Brothers EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 12:37 am

BLOOD SIMPLE hs traditonally been my favorite. But I may be veering toward FARGO. Just view FARGO as a comedy.

"GOHPHERS!"
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

The Coen Brothers Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Coen Brothers   The Coen Brothers EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 1:20 am

Hudsucker Proxy is a good one too. Very few people have seen it. I consider it the Coen's little known gem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Coen Brothers Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Coen Brothers   The Coen Brothers Empty

Back to top Go down

The Coen Brothers
Page 1 of 1