More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Doctor No: the Front or Back Half?

Go down 
+10
lachesis
CJB
Lazenby.
j7wild
Makeshift Python
tiffanywint
Largo's Shark
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Hilly
Perilagu Khan
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

Doctor No: the Front or Back Half? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor No: the Front or Back Half?   Doctor No: the Front or Back Half? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 7:47 pm

I never really thought about it until now, but it is obviously the first half. You have the slow build up, the charm, the elegance, elements of a world that no longer exists, 007 at his most human and agent-like because the series wasn't established, the elements of Fleming are all there...and then by the conclusion it all unspools because of the severe editing to the book's narrative and small budget.

But it is still all there, but only if you know the novel and only if you look closely. The tunnel pipe scene is a big example, but there is even Fleming's Chinese ethnicity subplot (or Asian makeups combined with black wigs)

The best scene in the film is Bond and Dr. No's dinner talk.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Doctor No: the Front or Back Half?   Doctor No: the Front or Back Half? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 11, 2019 8:33 am

I don't know why but I always seem to love a film or hate it so I make for a horrible critic. As far as Dr.No goes for me it's just absolutely perfect and I love every single frame of this film. My favorite moment always seems to be whatever scene is playing at the moment and I wish it could be about 8 hours longer. I could listen to the conversation between James and Honey all day and wish there was a movie about her or I could sit on the sand watching them.

I just want to be on the island with them forever, I really do. It's obviously not lost on me how incredibly beautiful and sexually attractive she is rising out of the ocean like some mythological Goddess ..but her personality is just so damn adorable. And she is a complex character that leaves me wanting so much more. She sounds naive as a child yet highly intelligent and not someone to be messed with. I get the feeling she would have carved Bond up with that knife for just touching the sea shells and her story about the man that attacked her..it's so touching so sad, yet shows her toughness and the scene even manages a great deal of humor. Her father's death. So while it leaves me wanting to know so much more about Honey I realize that is the brilliance of the character too as less is always more and when they leave you wanting more you know they succeeded. Why these female characters get criticized by the press as being bimbo's I really have no idea and suspect it's the actual critics projecting their feelings on Bond girls. If they simply view them as T&A, that's on them. I find Honey, wonderful, delightful, charming and just want to hug her.

Quarrel is a great character too and again leaves me with the same feeling. It's devastating when he get's killed esp in such a horrific way. His first stand offish interaction and replies to Bond's comments at the boat are simply excellent as is his kind heart when we get to know more of him.

The first shot of Felix...man that is one cool looking,powerful, slick stylish man. By far my favorite actor to play him.

I mean honestly from the opening credits I am mesmerized from beginning to end. The radio sounds, the white dot across the screen ..well, you all know the opening but that movie already has me hooked by that part. I really love that tripped out psychedelic feel in the visuals and the music..it's bold, it's like it's announcing upfront you are about to watch something exceptionally cool and it lives up to that and more. Three blind mice....fantastic, off the credits, into the plot and those murders are particularly brutal esp of the secretary. A big part of what works so perfectly for this movie for me too is that I don't find it improbable as many critics do. Not even Dr. No living in his liar protected by a "dragon"...it's such a strange world out there it wouldn't shock me all that much if I found out one day it was all a true story. Stranger things have happened.

I know Connery has stated that he had to work hard to create the character and no reason to disbelieve him but man it all looks so effortless. That look on his face when he calls and finds out the driver wasn't sent for him. He has that same look on his face when the hearse starts to follow him. You really get the feeling he is liking it and getting pleasure when someone is attempting to kill him.

Then of course there is the look of the film, the direction, the scenery. It's so nice on the the eyes I could watch it as a silent film and I just can't really pick out a favorite moment. I just feel like putting it on repeat and leaving it on for a few weeks.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Doctor No: the Front or Back Half?   Doctor No: the Front or Back Half? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 12, 2019 4:29 am

Spot on Sarai. I think DN is arguably the best film in the series despite its shortcomings as the first and most modest entry. The creativity on display is astounding to this day and only FRWL really tops in in being able to one up the predecessor on every level.

Connery's best performances are in the first two and arguably DN has the edge his his nervousness feeding into 007's energy. This is Bond at his most calculating and he is a pure detective/intelligence agent who uses his wits and deductive powers in ways we never saw again. He is at his most suave and disaffected, his most cool and debonair in terms or pure forcefulness. In FRWL he is being played and broken down by the insidious plot so it is important that in the first film we see him as the best of the best.

The Young flourishes evolve the character off of the page and formalized into the screen incarnation. Case in point the entire film can be boiled down to individual moments such as the absolutely Awe Inspiring improvised touch of Sean glancing at his watch when killing time with Miss Taro in their final bedroom tussle all the while waiting for his trap to be sprung upon Dent.

Honey and Quarrel are incredibly well realized versions of Fleming's characterizations even if they had to obviously be toned down for the screen and heavily streamlined for the runtime. Then to top that you have the supreme characterization of the good Doctor himself who is in my mind the best of all the film villains in sheer menace and setup alone. And they manage to keep Fleming's brilliant irresistible character alive while making it much more believable in small details such as costuming or going from pincers to metal hands.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Doctor No: the Front or Back Half?   Doctor No: the Front or Back Half? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 16, 2019 4:26 am

Excellent post Sarai! I'm glad you touched on Connery's performance too. The first but still the very best portrayal of James Bond in any 007 film.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Doctor No: the Front or Back Half?   Doctor No: the Front or Back Half? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 16, 2019 9:26 am

I prefer the second half. Though the first has some good stuff, I think it drags too much, especially when compared to the novel. I thought it was weird that the filmmakers decided to have Bond and Quarrel not know each other, so they contrive five minutes of the two being suspicious about each other before an unnecessary added Felix Leiter shows up to clear things up.

If I had to keep one of the additions made for the film, it would be Bond confronting Professor Dent.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Doctor No: the Front or Back Half?   Doctor No: the Front or Back Half? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Doctor No: the Front or Back Half?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2