More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Duran Duran

Go down 
+5
Lazenby.
boldfinger
Largo's Shark
Blunt Instrument
Gravity's Silhouette
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

Duran Duran - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duran Duran   Duran Duran - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 27, 2017 2:34 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
Always interesting when bands reinterpret their material and this no-synths set from 1993 is as good as it gets.  

Warren Cuccurullo drilled Duran into a tight unit but a lot of its new-found soul was down to the late Miss Al-Mugheiry. Her solo spot at 4.30 (complete with fine wriggling arse) gets me every time

Warren was THE guitar virtuoso. Hard to believe he's been gone for about 16 years now.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Duran Duran   Duran Duran - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 29, 2017 10:32 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Duran Duran   Duran Duran - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 07, 2018 3:56 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
I only realised how much Simon hated Warren when Duran didn't invite him back after Andy left for the nineteenth time.

Simon will be 60 in October 2018 and the band will be 40 years old. Not bad at all.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Duran Duran   Duran Duran - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 07, 2018 4:02 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Duran Duran   Duran Duran - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 08, 2018 4:20 am

I can't believe all the Warren love on here. Fantastic. Usually I'm one of the few fans who is singing the praises of the Warren years. Medazzaland and Pop Trash are supremely underrated and the tours were quite good too. I've only heard recordings of the former but saw a Pop Trash show in person.

For me DD are essentially the most underrated band around. They never do get the credit they deserve as musicians nor for their longevity and influence. That being said I think after the first two albums they lost the initial impetus behind their work and it took many years to get it going again. As a band they do seem to work best when there is a driving force to meld with the other members whether it be Andy or Warren.

Rio is their masterpiece, the S/T is amazing and every other album really has interesting material-even if as a whole it doesn't quite work. But personally Paper Gods was a big letdown and felt both rushed and incomplete. It feels like an even worse Red Carpet Massacre-not to mention that it actually made me go back and start to appreciate things on RCM.
It didn't help that they took so long between albums and mastered the new record so inconceivably loud that it is impossible to enjoy properly. Seriously loud to the point of having songs brick walled to the level of Metallica's Death Magnetic.

The S/T and Rio are sonic gems. The original UK and Japanese LPs for their early days are musts and I regularly use them as sonic demos for my own sound system-particularly all the UK 12" 45rpm singles. I'm still collecting as many as I can find and lament that AVTAK never got one.

For me in order of relative preference:
Rio, S/T with To the Shore!!, Notorious, Astronaut, Medazzaland, Pop Trash, AYNIN, S&TRT, Big Thing, Liberty, Thank You, RCM, Arena, Paper Gods.

And of course I love both Power Station and Arcadia.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Duran Duran   Duran Duran - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 11, 2018 12:44 am

boot, you left out 1993's The Wedding Album with the band's iconic 90s hits.

Simon has an awesome solo....

Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Duran Duran   Duran Duran - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 15, 2018 4:36 am

Doh! I knew I was forgetting one somewhere. It would likely go right in the middle for me.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Duran Duran   Duran Duran - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 15, 2018 10:40 pm

hegottheboot wrote:
Doh! I knew I was forgetting one somewhere. It would likely go right in the middle for me.

I wish there were single versions of Shelter from The Wedding Album, and Hold Me from Notorious. So I play those 2 a lot...which puts those albums higher up on my list.

Paper Gods has its moments, I still adore What are the chances and You Kill Me With Silence. But I hate that title track.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Duran Duran   Duran Duran - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 19, 2018 4:30 am

I got to where I could tolerate the title track, and hearing some of the songs live made me better able to appreciate others like "Silence". I need to track down the LP version one of these days as hopefully it isn't so darn loud.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Duran Duran   Duran Duran - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 01, 2018 11:19 pm

x

Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Duran Duran   Duran Duran - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 28, 2018 12:54 am

This vinyl Budokan press, limited to 3000 copies was released earlier this week. The limited press wasn't a big deal on-line, since there were dozens listed up on eBay within a few hours of release. Picked up 2...

Duran Duran - Page 4 Ddb
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Duran Duran   Duran Duran - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 28, 2023 12:40 pm

I was a fan in the 80s and thought it was awesome that they got to do a Bond theme. As I have gotten older, I remain a fan of their first two albums. Both "Duran Duran" and "Rio" are full of great tracks.

Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Duran Duran   Duran Duran - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 06, 2023 11:28 am

Come on, Don.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Duran Duran   Duran Duran - Page 4 EmptySat May 20, 2023 6:23 pm

DD cover by Leæther Strip.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Duran Duran   Duran Duran - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 16, 2023 4:06 pm

One of their best singles. DD seemed very influnced by Japan in their early years. The band, not the land.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Duran Duran   Duran Duran - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 18, 2023 5:52 am

I think this may have been my first encounter with DD:

Here they sample themselves heavily:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Duran Duran   Duran Duran - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Duran Duran
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4