More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The Higher Education Thread

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

The Higher Education Thread Empty
PostSubject: The Higher Education Thread   The Higher Education Thread EmptySat Dec 20, 2014 10:15 am

So I was interested to hear about other people's experiences with university: what did you study? what you thought of it? where did you study? how your degree has helped you in your life?

We could also tackle bigger questions like the proliferation of universities, an education vs a qualification, etc.
We're an erudite bunch and I figure we could have an interesting discussion about it.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Higher Education Thread   The Higher Education Thread EmptySat Dec 20, 2014 3:28 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Higher Education Thread   The Higher Education Thread EmptySat Dec 20, 2014 6:53 pm

I studied Digital Communication and Transmedia in Albany, NY and Film in Brooklyn, NY. I learned a lot about the technology behind filmmaking at both schools, to the point where I'd be confident in operating any type of camera (film or digital) or non-linear editing program. My internships helped a lot, too, and I've worked with some very talented and bright people.

I can't say that I "learned how to be a filmmaker", though. I believe you need to learn how to do that by watching great movies, almost to the point of obsession. You also need to know about all aspects of films, including cinematography, direction, music, acting, etc. Only a couple of my peers in college believed in this. Most of them thought watching and discussing RuPaul's Drag Race was more important than watching and discussing, say, a 70mm presentation of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA. Given the state of Hollywood and cinema today, I imagine that that type of ignorance will get them far. Honestly.

I enjoyed my time at school and met a few exceptional people. I've been employed since graduation doing video work, which I'm thankful for. I'm also happy to be working on a feature of my own, while most of my peers from college are tweaking their thesis films in between walking dogs or babysitting for cash. Do you need a degree for filmmaking? Absolutely not. In the end, it's just something nice to tag onto your resume, but won't guarantee you a job.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: The Higher Education Thread   The Higher Education Thread EmptyTue Dec 23, 2014 5:05 pm

Campus time in terms of studies and sex was quite an experience.  drool

I've got 2 degrees, one earned from University, the other from a UK professional body with a qualification that's recognised almost worldwide. Meaning if I go to the States, it's known but they prefer their own version of it. The second one wasn't a hassle, as the first got me exempted from a number of papers so it was basically 2nd and 3rd yr papers I had to do.

Mr. Dog is an engineer, has his own business plus we have a couple others and I do all the main accounting. I used to work in the banking and oil industry before that, again, good remuneration packages but I hated being a subordinate and working with assholes.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: The Higher Education Thread   The Higher Education Thread EmptyWed Dec 24, 2014 1:11 pm

I studied history at university.

In my estimation, unless you work in a very technical or scientific field, a college education will (at best) be an entrance ticket to certain job interviews. But even friends with technical degrees have told me that what they actually learned in school was largely useless once they got on the "work floor".

So it's best to see college as a transitional phase where you have some fun, meet some new friends and preferably come out of it with a degree that allows you access to a job in a field that interests you. I would not look at a formal higher education as something that will necessarily prepare you properly for the job you actually end up doing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Higher Education Thread   The Higher Education Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

The Higher Education Thread
Page 1 of 1