More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Problems with social media

Go down 
+4
CJB
bitchcraft
Makeshift Python
Control
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

Problems with social media Empty
PostSubject: Problems with social media   Problems with social media EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 1:35 am

I use Facebook and Twitter mainly. I follow a lot of film, television and media sites. Lately, I've been unfollowing a lot of these pages, due to their lack of variety. On a daily basis, articles on the greatness of comic book films or feminism in cinema would pop up on my news feeds. It got pretty boring after a while. I don't need to see a fucking article on GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY every day.

Do film review sites have no standards? Why do so many article titles include words like "simply amazing" and "brilliant"? Do these "writers" not know any other words to use? Have they not heard of Thesaurus.com? It reminds me of this brilliant Louis C.K. quote:
Quote :
As humans, we waste the shit out of our words. It’s sad. We use words like “awesome” and “wonderful” like they’re candy. It was awesome? Really? It inspired awe? It was wonderful? Are you serious? It was full of wonder? You use the word “amazing” to describe a goddamn sandwich at Wendy’s. What’s going to happen on your wedding day, or when your first child is born? How will you describe it? You already wasted “amazing” on a fucking sandwich.

I worry about the state of the English language. A lot of men and women my age use the word "like" too much in conversation, almost as if it has become the substitute for a comma. The word "super" is used too much, as well. Super depressing, super cool, super sad, super hard, super cool.

I'm not trying to be a curmudgeon. This shit pisses me off and I was just wondering if anyone else is getting sick of it. Or is it normal?

Maybe I'm just being super narrow-minded.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Problems with social media   Problems with social media EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 4:49 am

At least the use of "epic" seems to be dying down to the point that it's only used in parody, or on YouTube comments.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Problems with social media   Problems with social media EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 5:06 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
At least the use of "epic" seems to be dying down to the point that it's only used in parody, or on YouTube comments.

Yeah. I was seeing that used on a daily basis a few years back. Someone could have posted a stop-motion animation of two Lego figures fighting each other and 9,000 people would've called it "epic". Fucking pathetic.

Social media was interesting during the Michael Brown and Eric Garner protests, too. A lot people that I knew from college instantly became armchair civil rights activists.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Problems with social media   Problems with social media EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 5:19 am

I'm looking forward to how much social media changes over time. It's come a long way since the chaotic days of MySpace.

Problems with social media Multi_daisies_thumb_full
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Problems with social media   Problems with social media EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 5:23 am

Since facebook and twitter are already created, I'm trying to think of creating some new revolutionary app so I can get rich quick too.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Problems with social media   Problems with social media EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 5:28 am

bitchcraft wrote:
Since facebook and twitter are already created, I'm trying to think of creating some new revolutionary app so I can get rich quick too.

I think one day there will be an app where people communicate only with smileys or emojis, reversing written communication by roughly 40,000 years.

For instance, I would text you with something like this:

Problems with social media Www.free-smiley-faces.de_free-smileys

Get the idea?
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Problems with social media   Problems with social media EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 6:44 am

#awks
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Problems with social media   Problems with social media EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 7:52 am

Control wrote:
bitchcraft wrote:

I think one day there will be an app where people communicate only with smileys or emojis, reversing written communication by roughly 40,000 years.

For instance, I would text you with something like this:

Problems with social media Www.free-smiley-faces.de_free-smileys

Get the idea?

jump
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Problems with social media   Problems with social media EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 1:57 pm

Orwell's Politics and the English Language should be required reading in schools.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Problems with social media   Problems with social media EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 4:27 pm

Like you Brownie, I worry for the future of the English language on its varying levels. 'Little' things like spelling to be honest perhaps aided by social media but pig ignorance. Still, this has been stirred of late by the old store manager at work writing "truely" and other such elementary mistakes.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

PostSubject: Re: Problems with social media   Problems with social media EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 7:30 am

Facebook and Twitter were fine. The problem is Buzzfeed. It is an abomination that needs to be destroyed. Both have deteriorated since its evolution.

Where's Anonymous when you need them.
Back to top Go down
Campbell4
Cipher Clerk
Campbell4

PostSubject: Re: Problems with social media   Problems with social media EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 1:09 pm

Anybody know Ello? It's supposed to be without ads, also sworn to not sell user data. I toy with signing up, got an invitation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Problems with social media   Problems with social media Empty

Back to top Go down

Problems with social media
Page 1 of 1