More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25

Go down 
+21
CJB
Seve
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Vesper
Xenia93
lachesis
Stamper
Yellow Pinky
Strangways&Quarrel
Santa
Hilly
Jack Wade
Lazenby.
dr. strangelove
bitchcraft
Control
AMC Hornet
Prisoner Monkeys
Gravity's Silhouette
Largo's Shark
Walecs
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

How would you rate "Writing's on the Wall"?
5 - Loved It
Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 Vote_lcap12%Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 Vote_rcap
 12% [ 2 ]
4 - Really Liked It
Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 Vote_lcap0%Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
3 - Liked It
Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 Vote_lcap6%Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 Vote_rcap
 6% [ 1 ]
2 - Didn't Like It
Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 Vote_lcap65%Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 Vote_rcap
 65% [ 11 ]
1 - Hated It
Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 Vote_lcap17%Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 Vote_rcap
 17% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 17

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 EmptySun Oct 11, 2015 4:46 am

Yeah, Smith seems to be more of a thing in the UK. Over here it's all about Justin Bieber. God help us all.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 EmptySun Oct 11, 2015 12:03 pm

Control wrote:
Let dat sky fo. Let it crumbo.

Still better than Smith sounding like he asked to be strapped to Goldfinger's laser table for inspiration, but then someone forgot to turn it off in time.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 EmptySun Oct 11, 2015 3:35 pm

Indeed, Adele has pipes whereas Smithy sounds like his need oiling.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 8:40 am

Stamper wrote:
Why get a MAN if the song sounds like it's sung by a woman?

This need BALLS!

Exactly my thoughts after unavoidably hearing the whole song for the first time at the weekend while stuck in a store which had it on the radio. An unselfish artist would have recognised the suitability of this song for a female artist but, as it stands, we now have a tough Bond in Daniel Craig being given a theme which would only work if Bond were female or gay. That said, it may also have worked well for TWINE... One can easily imagine Brosnan stroking Electra's screen image and doing painfaces in the music video as Smith wails away in self-pity, and one can imagine with equal ease Electra unconvincingly spouting "I could have given you the writing", to which Brosnan would reply in painfaced, exaggerated anguish and full volume "THE WRITING'S ON THE WALL!!!"

Sadly, for the once solid bastion of quality which once was the James Bond title song, the writing's been on the wall for some time now.
Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 11:01 am

I'm actually warming up to it after more listens. I'd probably give it a three now if I could vote again.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 12:10 pm

Not sure if this is news but it will be included on the soundtrack CD, along with an instrumental version.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 6:34 am

Lazenby. wrote:

Exactly my thoughts after unavoidably hearing the whole song for the first time at the weekend while stuck in a store which had it on the radio.  An unselfish artist would have recognised the suitability of this song for a female artist but, as it stands, we now have a tough Bond in Daniel Craig being given a theme which would only work if Bond were female or gay.  That said, it may also have worked well for TWINE... One can easily imagine Brosnan stroking Electra's screen image and doing painfaces in the music video as Smith wails away in self-pity, and one can imagine with equal ease Electra unconvincingly spouting "I could have given you the writing", to which Brosnan would reply in painfaced, exaggerated anguish and full volume "THE WRITING'S ON THE WALL!!!"

Sadly, for the once solid bastion of quality which once was the James Bond title song, the writing's been on the wall for some time now.

We've gone from THUNDERBALLS to no-balls.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 12:18 pm

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
Lazenby. wrote:

Exactly my thoughts after unavoidably hearing the whole song for the first time at the weekend while stuck in a store which had it on the radio.  An unselfish artist would have recognised the suitability of this song for a female artist but, as it stands, we now have a tough Bond in Daniel Craig being given a theme which would only work if Bond were female or gay.  That said, it may also have worked well for TWINE... One can easily imagine Brosnan stroking Electra's screen image and doing painfaces in the music video as Smith wails away in self-pity, and one can imagine with equal ease Electra unconvincingly spouting "I could have given you the writing", to which Brosnan would reply in painfaced, exaggerated anguish and full volume "THE WRITING'S ON THE WALL!!!"

We've gone from THUNDERBALLS to no-balls.

laugh
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 11:04 pm

Last edited by Largo's Shark on Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 1:12 am

The 007 YouTube channel labeled this video "The Music of SPECTRE", which made it disappointing that it only focused on the Smith song and nothing about Newman's work.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 9:41 pm

Total aside but seeing the words "music vlog" above, find myself wishing if only such things has been about when Louis Armstrong worked with John Barry for OHMSS.

Anyway gang.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 12:32 am

The instrumental version of Sam Smythe's song:

Not any better than the vocal version, to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 12:36 am

My only complaint is the compression on that link. I always liked the production of the song more than the vocals, so this works for me.
Back to top Go down
Xenia93
'R'
'R'
Xenia93

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 3:38 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
My only complaint is the compression on that link. I always liked the production of the song more than the vocals, so this works for me.

I agree, but I still don't like how the instrumentals never really seem to have any real oomph. That said, they're still better than Smith's vocals.

Still very hyped for the movie, but the song is in my bottom 5 for sure.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 9:54 am

I heard bits and pieces of this early this morning during the red carpet premiere. It sounded woeful.

And then, the fuckhead who composed the damn thing had the audacity to say this:

Sam Smith wrote:
“I’ve only actually sung the song once, really. Because I did the demo in the studio, and they used that. It is horrible to sing. Horrible. I almost regret — no, I don’t regret… It’s just so high. I have to grab my balls; it’s awful.”

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/26/sam-smith-bond-theme-hard-to-sing
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 10:26 am

Oh boy.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 12:17 pm

Just listened to this. What dreck. A crime that they picked this over Del Rey's bang on '24'.
Back to top Go down
dr. strangelove
'R'
'R'
dr. strangelove

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 2:47 pm

FieldsMan wrote:
I heard bits and pieces of this early this morning during the red carpet premiere. It sounded woeful.

And then, the fuckhead who composed the damn thing had the audacity to say this:

Sam Smith wrote:
“I’ve only actually sung the song once, really. Because I did the demo in the studio, and they used that. It is horrible to sing. Horrible. I almost regret — no, I don’t regret… It’s just so high. I have to grab my balls; it’s awful.”

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/26/sam-smith-bond-theme-hard-to-sing

His earlier comments about writing the song in 20 minutes is something I can let slide, but this one here is simply infuriating to hear him say. What a dope.

In contrast to this misfire of a song...Adele's new single "Hello" is getting a lot of play over here in the States. There's a lot of hugely positive buzz about it (and her new album) on social media right now, not only from casual fans but celebrities at well (compare that to Smith, who's Bond tune I have yet to hear anywhere besides a few listens on Spotify). Kind of makes me wonder if EON are kicking themselves at the moment for choosing Smith.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 2:50 pm

dr. strangelove wrote:
Kind of makes me wonder if EON are kicking themselves at the moment for choosing Smith.  

Maybe not. Even if Eon had persuaded Adele to reprise her role (and with a new Adele album imminent I think we can see why she said no), it wouldn't have meant anything. Most of the Skyfall team came back for Spectre and could not recapture what made that film so special.

It's very clear now that Skyfall was a fluke rather than a brave reinvention.
Back to top Go down
Walecs
Q Branch
Q Branch
Walecs

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 7:46 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
dr. strangelove wrote:
Kind of makes me wonder if EON are kicking themselves at the moment for choosing Smith.  

Maybe not. Even if Eon had persuaded Adele to reprise her role (and with a new Adele album imminent I think we can see why she said no), it wouldn't have meant anything. Most of the Skyfall team came back for Spectre and could not recapture what made that film so special.

It's very clear now that Skyfall was a fluke rather than a brave reinvention.

I haven't seen SPECTRE yet, but to me it seems that it's going to top Skyfall.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 10:19 pm

Walecs wrote:
I haven't seen SPECTRE yet, but to me it seems that it's going to top Skyfall.

Well, in that case, I'm wrong and I apologise most sincerely, folks.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 7:33 am

Quote :
And as I noted last Friday, this is the first Bond song I can recall in ages that doesn’t include the title of the movie. It sounds like the theme song for a movie called “Writing’s on the Wall.” Didn’t Smith like the word Spectre?

Not defending the song... but it's one song removed from Another Way to Die and two from You Know My Name. Sloppy journalism.

This is Del Rey's rejected theme by the way, as reported by NYPost and others.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 2:40 pm

Lana's 24 is stronger than Smith's effort, but she needs to move on from the ubiquitous Rick Nowels. I liked her work with Tim Larcombe and Justin Parker better, but she seems to have left English songwriters behind her.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 3:01 pm

"24" intrigues me, which is more than what Smith's did. Just add that to the list of rejected titles better than the ones EON approved.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 11:42 pm

Vesper wrote:
Quote :
And as I noted last Friday, this is the first Bond song I can recall in ages that doesn’t include the title of the movie. It sounds like the theme song for a movie called “Writing’s on the Wall.” Didn’t Smith like the word Spectre?

Not defending the song... but it's one song removed from Another Way to Die and two from You Know My Name. Sloppy journalism.

This is Del Rey's rejected theme by the way, as reported by NYPost and others.

This is great! I'm not sure how well it would weave into the score, but from what I hear about Newman's score, that wouldn't matter.

They really missed the mark here. If they wanted a female sounding vocalist, why didn't they actually get a female? Why didn't they get Lana?! bang head
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25
Page 7 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next