More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25

Go down 
+21
CJB
Seve
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Vesper
Xenia93
lachesis
Stamper
Yellow Pinky
Strangways&Quarrel
Santa
Hilly
Jack Wade
Lazenby.
dr. strangelove
bitchcraft
Control
AMC Hornet
Prisoner Monkeys
Gravity's Silhouette
Largo's Shark
Walecs
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

How would you rate "Writing's on the Wall"?
5 - Loved It
Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 Vote_lcap12%Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 Vote_rcap
 12% [ 2 ]
4 - Really Liked It
Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 Vote_lcap0%Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
3 - Liked It
Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 Vote_lcap6%Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 Vote_rcap
 6% [ 1 ]
2 - Didn't Like It
Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 Vote_lcap65%Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 Vote_rcap
 65% [ 11 ]
1 - Hated It
Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 Vote_lcap17%Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 Vote_rcap
 17% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 17

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2016 12:48 am

WOTW is such an oddity because it does get many high praises and also a lot of derision. I know I don't care for it, but it has a lot of fans so I'm glad they're getting something out of it.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2016 6:31 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
WOTW is such an oddity because it does get many high praises and also a lot of derision. I know I don't care for it, but it has a lot of fans so I'm glad they're getting something out of it.

A beautiful song better placed at the end credits...and preferably sung by someone else.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2016 1:37 pm

And now it has been nominated for an Oscar. Interesting that so many great Bond themes that came before it, weren't nominated, and this is.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2016 5:12 pm

This is like that LeAnn Rimes song from CON AIR that is simultaneously loved and hated, got nominations for Oscar and Razzies. Coincidentally, that song was titled "How Do I Live".
Back to top Go down
Walecs
Q Branch
Q Branch
Walecs

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2016 5:17 pm

FieldsMan wrote:
And now it has been nominated for an Oscar. Interesting that so many great Bond themes that came before it, weren't nominated, and this is.

Not really. None of Barry's Bond scores ever got nominated, yet Newman's Skyfall did. Academy Awards really mean nothing.

I really like Writing's on the Wall though. Connie Talbot's cover is pretty good too.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 EmptyFri Jan 15, 2016 9:13 pm

It is odd that only Marvin Hamlisch and Thomas Newman got nominated for a Bond score, yet Barry, while having won five Oscars, never got a nomination for Bond.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 4:29 am

Writing's On The Wall wins the Oscar!
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 4:50 am

FieldsMan wrote:

Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 Sesame-street-oscar-peel-and-stick-giantwall-decal-900x900
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 6:50 am

FieldsMan wrote:

The blacks were right to boycott this travesty of an awards ceremony.
Back to top Go down
Strangways&Quarrel
'R'
'R'
Strangways&Quarrel

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 7:56 am

FieldsMan wrote:

blink

Quote :
"It's the quickest I've ever written a song — it took 20 minutes... and they loved it!"

If they actually had some credibility left I'd say this was the night the academy lost the last inch of it.

#GoodSongsMatter
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 12:08 pm

Strangways&Quarrel wrote:
If they actually had some credibility left I'd say this was the night the academy lost the last inch of it.

#GoodSongsMatter

Absolutely a complete travesty not only one of the worse Bond songs but one of the worse movie songs ever!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 1:19 pm

Musically, it's a fine song. I would have much preferred a female singer, or leave it as an instrumental and have the Bond theme kick in at the end a la FRWL.

Sam Smith was atrocious singing it live at the Oscars, though. At least he wasn't flat for the film.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 6:38 pm

I don't get to watch the Oscars nowadays but surprised to see the song won all the same. I've not heard the other entries but surely they had an edge on it? I can't warm to Writing's on the Wall -I thought in the cinema I might but no.

On the other hand, that is now -after many years with no wins or hint of success- two Bond films in a row now with an Oscar-winning title song. Maybe life really is a dream.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 7:21 pm

It seems churlish to complain about Bond winning Oscars, but that pile of weedy crap winning Best Song ... wow. WOW.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2016 6:35 am

FieldsMan wrote:
Musically, it's a fine song. I would have much preferred a female singer, or leave it as an instrumental and have the Bond theme kick in at the end a la FRWL.

Sam Smith was atrocious singing it live at the Oscars, though. At least he wasn't flat for the film.

If the Oscars had been given out based on the performance that evening, Smith would've lost. Either Lady Gaga or The Weeknd would have won. Smith did a bad job with an average, at best, song.

Only thing equally bad about that performance was the horrific intro by Sarah Silverman. If you're going to have someone introduce someone or something, it wouldn't hurt to have the person be a fan. Silverman was essentially standing there disrespecting the Bond series, talking trash, then awkwardly introduced Smith. That's probably what threw him off; her attitude.

Anyone notice the different Bond themes that were used to fade to commericals? I counted at least three: LALD, YOLT (I believe) and DAF. If there were more I missed them.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2016 11:51 am

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
FieldsMan wrote:

If the Oscars had been given out based on the performance that evening, Smith would've lost. Either Lady Gaga or The Weeknd would have won. Smith did a bad job with an average, at best, song.

Only thing equally bad about that performance was the horrific intro by Sarah Silverman. If you're going to have someone introduce someone or something, it wouldn't hurt to have the person be a fan. Silverman was essentially standing there disrespecting the Bond series, talking trash, then awkwardly introduced Smith. That's probably what threw him off; her attitude.

Anyone notice the different Bond themes that were used to fade to commericals? I counted at least three: LALD, YOLT (I believe) and DAF. If there were more I missed them.

Point #1: Thought Lady Gaga wasn't that great either. Her other Oscar performance was much better. That other song was pretty cool, though.

Point #2: Sarah Silverman was simply embarrassing. She popped out of nowhere and all of her "jokes" landed like lead balloons. Dreadful stuff.

Point #3: Didn't hear YOLT, heard LALD once and heard DAF a couple of times. I appreciated that.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 1:20 am

Not a horrible ceremony, but not a memorable one.

I only really enjoyed the "Best Score" announcement. John Williams helped Ennio Morricone out of his chair to approach the stage. Class acts. Two of the truly talented people there.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 12:21 am

If poll is still open, which I don't think it is, I vote "hated it" and quite a lot

#worstBondsongever
Back to top Go down
Walecs
Q Branch
Q Branch
Walecs

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2016 4:36 pm

This version is beautiful.

Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 EmptyMon Apr 25, 2016 12:37 am

Watched SPECTRE on blu-ray but skipped this shitty song yet again...honestly don't care for it.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 EmptyMon Apr 25, 2016 12:46 am

Do you normally skip the songs you don't like on other Bond films, bitchcraft?

How did you find the film proper after watching it again?
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2016 12:31 am

FieldsMan wrote:
Do you normally skip the songs you don't like on other Bond films, bitchcraft?

How did you find the film proper after watching it again?

I don't normally skip other songs. Even Die Another Day, as that had some interesting visuals to accompany it. The Samfest didn't. His high-pitch whiney voice is just irritating.

I'll give it maybe a 4.5 out of 10. Hinx was horribly under-utilised, what a waste of a character who could have been so much more memorable.
Back to top Go down
You don’t know me
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
You don’t know me

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 EmptySat Mar 09, 2019 5:50 pm

I'm usually pretty easy going, but this song is sooooo bad it makes me angry. What a down-tempo, maudlin, depressing, self-important POS this song is! We're talking about JAMES FREAKIN' BOND, and we're served this gutless, nutless crap. Not one ounce of testosterone in this song, not even any good estrogen. Embarrassing on so many levels, but then again, it's in SPECTRE, so it barely stands out, there are so many other terrible things to overshadow it.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 EmptySun Mar 10, 2019 2:47 am

Can't disagree with that though I'd say the instrumental version is ok.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25
Page 9 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: The Bond Films: Reviews, Ratings & Discussion :: SPECTRE (2015)-
Jump to: