More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25

Go down 
+21
CJB
Seve
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Vesper
Xenia93
lachesis
Stamper
Yellow Pinky
Strangways&Quarrel
Santa
Hilly
Jack Wade
Lazenby.
dr. strangelove
bitchcraft
Control
AMC Hornet
Prisoner Monkeys
Gravity's Silhouette
Largo's Shark
Walecs
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

How would you rate "Writing's on the Wall"?
5 - Loved It
Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 Vote_lcap12%Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 12% [ 2 ]
4 - Really Liked It
Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 Vote_lcap0%Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
3 - Liked It
Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 Vote_lcap6%Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 6% [ 1 ]
2 - Didn't Like It
Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 Vote_lcap65%Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 65% [ 11 ]
1 - Hated It
Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 Vote_lcap17%Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 17% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 17

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 9:49 am

Ellie Goulding was passed up for this shit.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 9:58 am

At least Goulding wouldn't have been as whiny, needy and 'sensitive' as Smith.

This bodes badly for Spectre. People have been saying Eon can't make two good films in a row as far back as Dalton. I hope they're wrong.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 10:01 am

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:
Fifth listen and it gets worse. It's like a Bee Gees outtake, but without any of the talent. Just a complete dirge full of plodding self-pity.

I've avoided everything from Spectre so far and this doesn't bode well at all. Only positive is that Adele has just cemented her legacy; Skyfall now seems like a giant.

Marrying his voice to this theme is like marrying Herb Albert's Tijuana Brass Band theme to an exciting car/motorcycle chase in NSNA. It lessens the impact of everything else around it.

To think of all the talent at their disposal and this was what EON settled for.
I wonder what their excuse is. At least with "Another Way to Die" they can be excused by circumstance - they wanted Amy Winehouse, but she struggled with everything she and Mark Ronson came up with and EON had to look elsewhere. If anything, this is like "Die Another Day" - EON wanted Madonna so badly that they just accepted whatever she gave them. I suspect the same or similar happened here.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 10:05 am

Δ

Last edited by Largo's Shark on Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 10:10 am

Erica Ambler wrote:

This bodes badly for Spectre. People have been saying Eon can't make two good films in a row as far back as Dalton. I hope they're wrong.

If the song is as bad as many are saying it is AND if it means the movie itself will be just as bad, then maybe it will mean Miccoli will toss Daniel Craig aside and we'll get a new James Bond actor.

One can only hope...
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 10:13 am

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:23 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Replaced with HD version)
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 11:05 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
Fifth listen and it gets worse. It's like a Bee Gees outtake, but without any of the talent. Just a complete dirge full of plodding self-pity.

I've avoided everything from Spectre so far and this doesn't bode well at all. Only positive is that Adele has just cemented her legacy; Skyfall now seems like a giant.

fifth listen?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 11:08 am

Hilly KCMG wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:

fifth listen?

I gave it a more than fair chance, Hilly. My expectations of Spectre are now much reduced.

Just had a read of the comments at mi6community. Needless to say, the morons think it's greeeeaaaat. I despise blind faith.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 11:13 am

Δ

Last edited by Largo's Shark on Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 11:13 am

Disappointing. I kept waiting for some kind of crescendo and never got it. The falsetto bits don't really work for me, either.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 11:14 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
Hilly KCMG wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:

fifth listen?

I gave it a more than fair chance, Hilly. My expectations of Spectre are now much reduced.

Just had a read of the comments at mi6community. Needless to say, the morons think it's greeeeaaaat. I despise blind faith.

ah, just wondered if you had a thing for punishment based on the comments :)

My efforts to listen to it have been thwarted. Not sure if I want to now. Might slink down in my seat in the cinema come that time.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 11:18 am

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 11:27 am

Δ

Last edited by Largo's Shark on Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 11:31 am

Δ

Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 11:44 am

Largo's Shark wrote:
Either EON or Sony executives.
I suspect Sony. They're the ones who stand to make the most out of the title song, and creatively speaking, it's completely out of step with the rest of the film.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 11:56 am

Nice orchestration. But (as others have pointed out), it's way too falsetto-y and outside of a single line ('I never shoot to miss') there's little to distinguish it as a Bond theme and far too much that makes it just another one of Smith's lovelorn ballads. It being one of the handful that makes no attempt to include the film's title in the lyrics doesn't help either, in my opinion.

Written in 20 minutes? Yeah, it fucking sounds like it all right.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 12:09 pm

Nothing will be worse than "Another Way to Die". Fuck that song.

As for this, it didn't do much for me. I won't listen to it again until the title sequence plays on screen. Great production, I hope some of that plays into the score. I just don't care for the vocals.

Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 12:17 pm

Δ

Last edited by Largo's Shark on Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 12:19 pm

Oh, Mendes. Stick to filmmaking.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 1:15 pm

Largo's Shark wrote:
Looking forward to Laz's epic screed.

I'd love to oblige but, having just suffered a few snippets of the song on Radio 1 news, I'd rather cut my own knob off than hear the rest of it. Sounded just as whiney and insufferable as I'd feared. Not wasting 4 minutes of my life and certainly not giving Mr Fucking Happy 4 minutes of stream "sales".
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 1:27 pm

Lazenby. wrote:
I'd rather cut my own knob off than hear the rest of it.
At least you'd be able to sing the falsetto parts, then.
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 2:00 pm

I don't go along with the general Sam Smith hatred that seems to be in place here but this is shit. He could have done better than this.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 2:07 pm

Δ

Last edited by Largo's Shark on Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 2:09 pm

The song starts out alright and quickly goes downhill. The lyrics are laughable.

Come November, I'll be afraid to find out what else they've fucked up with this film.

Bummer.

Erica Ambler wrote:
Needless to say, the morons think it's greeeeaaaat. I despise blind faith.

Not surprising.

benny like song and musik. benny think is goode.
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 2:11 pm

Couldn't really make the lyrics out too well - I was too busy trying to block out the whining. I went to a mothers and toddlers group this morning, full of knackered women with sore boobs - there was still less moaning than in this song.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25   Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25 - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Sam Smith - "Writing's on the Wall" - To be released on September 25
Page 3 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next