More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Rank all the Bond Films!

Go down 
+88
silvertoe
Sarai
KFergus
You don’t know me
Badre
xJoker
OO7
Kath
Mr.Wint
bitchcraft
hegottheboot
ironpony
DrNo
Octobenny
Full Monty Norman
Strangways&Quarrel
Campbell4
Salomé
Prisoner Monkeys
Makeshift Python
Gravity's Silhouette
Hilly
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Hans !
retrokitty
chrisisall
perdogg
BamesJond
Blunt Instrument
Xenia93
jet set willy
GreatKenji
Manhunter
FourDot
Mr Bond
trevanian
Harmsway
Saunders...V Section
Paula007
Walecs
Seve
Krilencu
James Bond
00Beast
Tubes
right idea, wrong pussy
saint mark
TedHeath
dirtymind
lachesis
00Twelve
RobDudley
Capsule in Space
EyelessCougar
Klaus Hergesheimer
clublos
dalton
Chief of SIS
Sleeper
FG Wells
tiffanywint
Perilagu Khan
Chang
Lazenby.
MBalje
Louis Armstrong
Toppers
Drax
Vesper
Largo's Shark
colly
Klown
danslittlefinger
SJK91
dr. strangelove
CIS
Chigawa
Mr. Trevelyan
CJB
Control
GeneralGogol
Fairbairn-Sykes
bondfan06
lalala2004
The White Tuxedo
G section
Prince Kamal Khan
Fort Knox
92 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
AuthorMessage
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 30 EmptyMon Oct 11, 2021 3:01 pm

Crudely copied and pasted updated rankings from my spreadsheet. The numbers are the changes.

OHMSS 0
FRWL 0
Dr No 0
TLD 0
LTK 0
FYEO 0
Thunderball 0
Octopussy 0
GE 0
Skyfall 0
DAF 0
GF 0
TND 0
TWINE 0
DAD 0
MR 0
VTAK 0
NTTD NE
YOLT -1
LALD -1
TSWLM -1
CR -1
Spectre -1
QOS -1
TMWTGG -1
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 30 EmptyMon Oct 11, 2021 10:35 pm

I'm often on the same page as you, Hilly, so bit worrying to see NTTD that low even right off the bat.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 30 EmptyTue Oct 12, 2021 3:09 pm

Well, I fear, it might be lower since CJB. I dwelled on NTTD all the way to sleep and I've revised my view. I can but apologise to those who liked it.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 30 EmptyTue Oct 12, 2021 3:12 pm

2021 List (adjust after
OHMSS 0
FRWL 0
Dr No 0
TLD 0
LTK 0
FYEO 0
Thunderball 0
Octopussy 0
GE 0
Skyfall 0
DAF 0
GF 0
TND 0
TWINE 0
DAD 0
MR 0
VTAK 0
YOLT 0
LALD 0
TSWLM 0
CR 0
NTTD NE
Spectre -1
QOS -1
TMWTGG -1
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 30 EmptyTue Oct 12, 2021 3:13 pm

Those who have not seen it yet please don't take my views/ranking as writ.

Just, I tried to like it but I can't.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 30 EmptyWed Oct 13, 2021 8:46 pm

That's understandable.
But why no love for my poor TMWTGG?
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 30 EmptyWed Oct 13, 2021 10:18 pm

hegottheboot wrote:
That's understandable.
But why no love for my poor TMWTGG?

Agreed. I always look forward to viewing that one although it's obviously got its flaws.
Back to top Go down
Somerset
'R'
'R'
Somerset

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 30 EmptyWed Oct 13, 2021 11:04 pm

Never thought much of TMWTGG but I've come slowly around to it. I had an especially good watch earlier this year. Love Rog's performance, it might be my favorite of his.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 30 EmptyWed Oct 13, 2021 11:19 pm

Hard to dislike anything featuring Christopher Lee and a little fella carrying Tobasco on a silver platter.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 30 EmptyThu Oct 14, 2021 4:19 pm

Don't know, I've fallen out with it over the years and recent viewings just don't do anything nowadays. I've become detached from it.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 30 EmptyThu Oct 14, 2021 8:48 pm

When I did my commentary I finally realized Maibaum's plot device of Andrea with the golden bullet was a masterstroke of trying to do a FRWL type plot again. It's ingenious. The problem is Cubby said "sure UA we'll have you another Bond asap" after everyone was spent on LALD. There's remarkable invention and ideas everywhere but frequently things are forced together that don't quite work. It needed the third draft a'la DAF and it never got it. Ironically it was the inverse situation:
Here Mankiewicz wrote the straightforward Bond (Roger) vs Scaramanga (Jack Palance) duel story which likely was closer to the book. This wasn't deemed flashy enough and Mank seems to have even had a bit of a falling out sort of with Hamilton who he normally got along with very well. He also said he was maybe getting a tad burned out. Maibaum was brought into to rewrite and added the solar energy plot macguffin and I think all of Andrea's tomfoolery.

I'll never fall out of love with it because it whimsical, in the Far East, has arguably Lee's best performance, Herve is magic, the QE and funhouse sets are astounding, it has some of the all time best Mank one liners, Barry outdoes himself in literally no time while bringing his string focus for the first time, and there's a wonderfully nasty tone throughout. Bond is 100% pissed the whole time and it's refreshing save for Hamilton forcing the roughness in the interrogation scene. But even that can be at least partially explained by Bond having a target on his head and being under the gun since no one knows Scaramanga's appearance.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 30 EmptyFri Oct 15, 2021 7:19 am

There are two films fighting with each other in TMWTGG.

I agree the stuff with Andrea and the golden bullet should have retained more focus and prominence, and it leads to some rather intriguing territory with Bond being the aggressor. And that's why I can personally return to it. Particularly in the 1st act, when there's still that focus, it can be rather compelling. But then it loses traction and heads into all kinds of direction. By the time JW Pepper is introduced you've come to expect something like that--- and to be honest it brightens up the film! I probably enjoy him here more than in LALD.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 30 EmptyFri Oct 15, 2021 10:37 am

CJB wrote:
Hard to dislike anything featuring Christopher Lee and a little fella carrying Tobasco on a silver platter.

"Nick Nack! Tabasco!" is probably the greatest opening line in all of Bond. Talk about the Benign Bizarre!
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 30 EmptyFri Oct 15, 2021 9:23 pm

It's hard to beat.

What was Scaramanga munching on that called for Tabasco anyway? Oysters, I presume?
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 30 EmptySat Oct 16, 2021 5:17 am

I think so, and who could blame him? The revolting things need all the help they can get in order to be even faintly palatable.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 30 EmptySat Oct 16, 2021 3:01 pm

Trouble is, the local Waitrose is miles away.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 30 EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 4:53 am

Yeah, I'd say Scaramanga's island isn't on any supermarket delivery service routes laugh .
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 30 EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 9:56 am

A million per shot buys lots of speedy-delivery oysters! (As well as a lilliputian Cordon Bleu chef to prepare them.)
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 30 EmptyMon Oct 18, 2021 1:40 am

Wonder what Scaramanga's going rate would be nowadays ... 10 - 20 mill a hit, maybe?
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 30 EmptyMon Oct 18, 2021 7:20 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Wonder what Scaramanga's going rate would be nowadays ... 10 - 20 mill a hit, maybe?
Takes payment only in bitcoin, perhaps?
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 30 EmptyTue Oct 19, 2021 5:09 am

Always knew there was something shady about cryptocurrency laugh .
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 30 EmptyTue Oct 19, 2021 7:05 am

Given that the crypt keeper was all about making those bad puns, I'm surprised Joel Silver, HBO & company haven't rebooted their 90s series with an opening installment called TALES FROM THE CRYPTOCURRENCY. (hey, when I was a kid and found out even William Shatner was addicted to bad puns, it just fueled my own efforts in that area. Puns and misheard song lyrics just rattle around in this ADD head of mine.)
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 30 EmptyTue Oct 19, 2021 10:50 am

trevanian wrote:
Given that the crypt keeper was all about making those bad puns, I'm surprised Joel Silver, HBO & company haven't rebooted their 90s series with an opening installment called TALES FROM THE CRYPTOCURRENCY. (hey, when I was a kid and found out even William Shatner was addicted to bad puns, it just fueled my own efforts in that area. Puns and misheard song lyrics just rattle around in this ADD head of mine.)

Now the oboe may be bad in Cleveland/
But the heart of rock n' roll, the heart of rock n' roll is the beatin'.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 30 EmptyTue Oct 19, 2021 8:24 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
trevanian wrote:

Now the oboe may be bad in Cleveland/
But the heart of rock n' roll, the heart of rock n' roll is the beatin'.

There's a song that is apparently called UMBRELLA from a few years back, but I swear they're singing, 'shot with my own Beretta.' Totally killed with my regional manager when I told him that one.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 30 EmptyWed Oct 20, 2021 1:44 am

Have seen a couple of memes of Shatner at one of Blue Origin's windows with TIE Fighters and the Tardis visible through them (surprisingly, none with the Enterprise). Suspect he'd be tickled by them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 30 Empty

Back to top Go down

Rank all the Bond Films!
Page 30 of 34Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next