More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Rank all the Bond Films!

Go down 
+88
silvertoe
Sarai
KFergus
You don’t know me
Badre
xJoker
OO7
Kath
Mr.Wint
bitchcraft
hegottheboot
ironpony
DrNo
Octobenny
Full Monty Norman
Strangways&Quarrel
Campbell4
Salomé
Prisoner Monkeys
Makeshift Python
Gravity's Silhouette
Hilly
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Hans !
retrokitty
chrisisall
perdogg
BamesJond
Blunt Instrument
Xenia93
jet set willy
GreatKenji
Manhunter
FourDot
Mr Bond
trevanian
Harmsway
Saunders...V Section
Paula007
Walecs
Seve
Krilencu
James Bond
00Beast
Tubes
right idea, wrong pussy
saint mark
TedHeath
dirtymind
lachesis
00Twelve
RobDudley
Capsule in Space
EyelessCougar
Klaus Hergesheimer
clublos
dalton
Chief of SIS
Sleeper
FG Wells
tiffanywint
Perilagu Khan
Chang
Lazenby.
MBalje
Louis Armstrong
Toppers
Drax
Vesper
Largo's Shark
colly
Klown
danslittlefinger
SJK91
dr. strangelove
CIS
Chigawa
Mr. Trevelyan
CJB
Control
GeneralGogol
Fairbairn-Sykes
bondfan06
lalala2004
The White Tuxedo
G section
Prince Kamal Khan
Fort Knox
92 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
AuthorMessage
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 33 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 33 EmptyThu Nov 24, 2022 11:15 am

Might not always work, but mixing the macabre with the weird n' wacky sorta fits in with the Benign Bizarre tone of Bond.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 33 EmptyThu Nov 24, 2022 4:15 pm

CJB wrote:
Might not always work, but mixing the macabre with the weird n' wacky sorta fits in with the Benign Bizarre tone of Bond.

Indeed, it does. And in that respect, LTK and DAF positively nail it.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 33 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2023 11:17 pm

Somerset wrote:
CJB wrote:
People often forget that there's a good bit of levity in LTK, stemming from Sharkie, Wayne Newton, Q, and occasionally Dalton himself.

I kinda find it disjointed with the emphatic violence throughout. I suppose it could work. Lethal Weapon would be a touchpoint. Maybe that's what they were going for. But a lot of it doesn't land for me. It's that same style of gag humor as the rest of the Glen movies. Some cute stuff but it's not got legs. Can you do pressurizing a head to explode and alluding to the rape of Bond's best friend's wife BUT ALSO have laser beam camera photographing a photograph in which the subjects turn into skeletons? Eh it's a tall task...

Disjointed is a good word for LTK. A contrived set up in a world too ordinary before switching gears to something colourful, exciting and bizarre in Isthmus, which is when it finally decides to become a Bond film.
Back to top Go down
Somerset
'R'
'R'
Somerset

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 33 EmptyFri Jan 20, 2023 3:47 am

I've never really noticed a shift in feel from Isthmus onwards but that will be something to look for next time.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 33 EmptyFri Jan 20, 2023 3:49 pm

Somerset wrote:
I've never really noticed a shift in feel from Isthmus onwards but that will be something to look for next time.
Are you also up for a Bondathon this year?
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 33 EmptyFri Jan 20, 2023 3:59 pm

Phantom Commander wrote:
Somerset wrote:

Can't speak for Siomerset, but I'm, in a sense, constantly in a Bondathon. Willy nilly, I cycle through all of the Bond films--this usually takes well over a year--and re-rank them as I go. Then I start all over again.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 33 EmptyFri Jan 20, 2023 7:55 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
Phantom Commander wrote:
Somerset wrote:

Can't speak for Siomerset, but I'm, in a sense, constantly in a Bondathon. Willy nilly, I cycle through all of the Bond films--this usually takes well over a year--and re-rank them as I go. Then I start all over again.
You must be a real fan. I feel that there is so much else to watch. Years pass by between my watches of the Bonds, but I do enjoy that whole tapestry and history of the whole Bond phenomenon.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 33 EmptyFri Jan 20, 2023 8:03 pm

Phantom Commander wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:
Phantom Commander wrote:
Somerset wrote:

You must be a real fan. I feel that there is so much else to watch. Years pass by between my watches of the Bonds, but I do enjoy that whole tapestry and history of the whole Bond phenomenon.

The vast majority of films, past and especially present, just don't interest me. I tend to rewatch movies I know I like and love.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 33 EmptyFri Jan 20, 2023 8:28 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
Phantom Commander wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:
Phantom Commander wrote:
Somerset wrote:

The vast majority of films, past and especially present, just don't interest me. I tend to rewatch movies I know I like and love.
Of course, that goes without saying. I am still going to watch the Bond films I have never enjoyed before during this upcoming Bondathon. Things have changed before, so who knows? The only one I do not own is CR 54, but that one is available online.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 33 EmptyFri Jan 20, 2023 10:09 pm

Phantom Commander wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:
Phantom Commander wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:
Phantom Commander wrote:
Somerset wrote:

Of course, that goes without saying. I am still going to watch the Bond films I have never enjoyed before during this upcoming Bondathon. Things have changed before, so who knows? The only one I do not own is CR 54, but that one is available online.

I've never seen CR54 and only bits of NSNA.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 33 EmptySat Jan 21, 2023 1:08 am

Perilagu Khan wrote:

Best way to avoid getting disappointed in my opinion.

But to mix things up, I will occasionally watch one I always find to be a turkey, just to marvel at the art direction (this really works best for me with 20th century turkeys -- like SPY and MR -- where, except when Mr. Adam and Mr. Meddings and Mr. Barry are concerned, I find precious little to love.)
Back to top Go down
Somerset
'R'
'R'
Somerset

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 33 EmptySat Jan 21, 2023 5:27 am

Phantom Commander wrote:
Somerset wrote:
I'm up for a Bondathon every year. The question is, will I follow through?

I usually start one and then get about halfway through and get sidetracked. But then I end up watching several more (or several again) at other points in the year. Last year was a big TWINE year. I think I probably watched it three times.

Last time I did the full one was just before the pandemic, 2019. So I'm due for a full one.
Back to top Go down
Somerset
'R'
'R'
Somerset

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 33 EmptySat Jan 21, 2023 5:28 am

I really like CR '54 for what it is and the circumstances of its being made.

Peter Lorre is the perfect Le Chiffre casting.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 33 EmptySat Jan 21, 2023 4:58 pm

trevanian wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:

But to mix things up, I will occasionally watch one I always find to be a turkey, just to marvel at the art direction (this really works best for me with 20th century turkeys -- like SPY and MR -- where, except when Mr. Adam and Mr. Meddings and Mr. Barry are concerned, I find precious little to love.)

Speaking of turkeys, I watched DAD last night. The second half of that film is the worst cinema I've ever seen. It has so many abominable aspects, it's almost impossible to name the most wretched. However, Halle Berry, strutting around with a half-open mouth delivering inane one-liners in the flattest, most off-key manner imaginable, may top the list.

Never again!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 33 EmptySat Jan 21, 2023 10:33 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
trevanian wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:

Speaking of turkeys, I watched DAD last night. The second half of that film is the worst cinema I've ever seen. It has so many abominable aspects, it's almost impossible to name the most wretched. However, Halle Berry, strutting around with a half-open mouth delivering inane one-liners in the flattest, most off-key manner imaginable, may top the list.

Never again!

You need to watch more cinema. Brosnan’s performance (especially Bond enjoying Frost by the car), Arnold’s music, Rosamund Pike, the stunning Ice Palace design and the car chase are enough to elevate it above most of what came after, save for Skyfall.

That said, hats off to you for giving it another go. What did you like about the first half?
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 33 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2023 4:10 pm

Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:
trevanian wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:

Never again!

You need to watch more cinema. Brosnan’s performance (especially Bond enjoying Frost by the car), Arnold’s music, Rosamund Pike, the stunning Ice Palace design and the car chase are enough to elevate it above most of what came after, save for Skyfall.

That said, hats off to you for giving it another go. What did you like about the first half?

Broz is just fine. In fact, he's far too good for DAD. I almost felt sorry for him trying to carry that limp turkey to the finish line. Then again, 12 million samolians will buy many crying towels.

As to what I liked in the first half, the first thing that jumps out is the Graves/Bond sword fight. One of the best action sequences in all of Bond. Right up there with the Bond/Hinx punch-up in SP.

Bond's foray into the Hong Kong Yacht Club is also quite good. Then there's the '57 T-Bird convertible in Havana. Certainly one of Bond's cooler rides.

Incidentally, I'm convinced the LAX theme building from 1961 was the inspiration for the ice palace.

Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 33 5928410496_7aaa7ccf93
Back to top Go down
Somerset
'R'
'R'
Somerset

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 33 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2023 6:18 am

PK, am I right in recollecting that this was your first watch of the thing since '02?

If so my question is...did you forget much of it? I think if I'd only seen a film one time and twenty years went by it'd feel brand new.

I've learned to like DAD up through the entirety of Iceland. Parasurfing is nonsense but whatever. And I actually really like the gadget car duel.

Where it truly gets hard-going is the plane finale. I think the fun sorta gets...sucked out the window.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 33 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2023 4:03 pm

I'd seen it 13 months ago. But before that viewing there had been a gap of about 15 years.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 33 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2023 11:13 pm

Somerset wrote:

I've learned to like DAD up through the entirety of Iceland. Parasurfing is nonsense but whatever. And I actually really like the gadget car duel.

Where it truly gets hard-going is the plane finale. I think the fun sorta gets...sucked out the window.

I’m in the same boat. Though the laser fight doesn’t work for me. I will say I don’t mind the Jinx v Frost fight on the plane.  big grin

This thread may be of interest actually.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 33 EmptySat Jan 28, 2023 1:47 am

Perilagu Khan wrote:

Incidentally, I'm convinced the LAX theme building from 1961 was the inspiration for the ice palace.

Wouldn't surprise me; you can see it briefly in the background of MOONRAKER, and I've wondered if it influenced Adam's Atlantis as well.

I was running all over that building when my mom took me to L.A. in 68 (greatest vacation ever, saw 2001 first-run and got the crap scared out of my 7 year old self by a living statue of the phantom of the opera on the Universal Studios tour), it felt like I was on a spaceship or something.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 33 EmptySat Jan 28, 2023 6:03 pm

trevanian wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me; you can see it briefly in the background of MOONRAKER, and I've wondered if it influenced Adam's Atlantis as well.

I was running all over that building when my mom took me to L.A. in 68 (greatest vacation ever, saw 2001 first-run and got the crap scared out of my 7 year old self by a living statue of the phantom of the opera on the Universal Studios tour), it felt like I was on a spaceship or something.

Sounds like you had quite a time, alright.

The LAX theme building is literally the only thing in LA that interests me, and I'd really like to see that. Mid-century googie architecture is something of a mania with me.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 33 EmptyFri Apr 21, 2023 4:20 pm

28 CR54
27 CR67
26 LIVE AND LET DIE
25 MOONRAKER
24 THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH
23 GOLDENEYE
22 THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS
21 OCTOPUSSY
20 TOMORROW NEVER DIES
19 NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN
18 FOR YOUR EYES ONLY
17 A VIEW TO A KILL
16 THE SPY WHO LOVED ME
15 LICENCE TO KILL
14 SPECTRE
13 SKYFALL
12 CASINO ROYALE
11 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
10 DIE ANOTHER DAY
09 GOLDFINGER
08 THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN
07 DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER
06 QUANTUM OF SOLACE
05 NO TIME TO DIE
04 FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE
03 DR NO
02 THUNDERBALL
01 ON HER MAJESTYS SECRET SERVICE
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 33 EmptyFri Apr 21, 2023 5:48 pm

An interesting ranking, to be sure. I don't think anybody will give you hell for your top four.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 33 EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 6:31 am

Perilagu Khan wrote:
An interesting ranking, to be sure. I don't think anybody will give you hell for your top four.
I doubt anybody will give me hell for any of it, but I know what you mean. I think everyone has a unique ranking, different to anyone else.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 33 EmptySat Apr 29, 2023 12:54 am

An interesting ranking indeed! Refreshing to see DAD where it is. Shame about Brosnan’s 90s trilogy being so low. And perhaps NTTD will sink with time, given it’s still the “new” Bond film.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rank all the Bond Films!   Rank all the Bond Films! - Page 33 Empty

Back to top Go down

Rank all the Bond Films!
Page 33 of 34Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34  Next