More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Movie You Watched.

Go down 
+14
silvertoe
Blunt Instrument
Hilly
Perilagu Khan
Morland_Specials
Gravity's Silhouette
Sarai
T.A. Ferguson
Salomé
Santa
bitchcraft
Strangways&Quarrel
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Makeshift Python
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 09, 2019 4:11 am

Don't worry about that, it's the story of my life and I'm here in the US! It seems every film I want to see is out of print, unavailable, overseas or stuck in a crummy version somehow.

Day of the Jackal is a great film that had a crummy video history for years. Just an old 1.33 Laserdisc and DVD here where Europe got a widescreen DVD at least. The new Arrow Blu-ray is a godsend and looks incredible by comparison. I think it may even be my choice for best non-Bond spy thriller film of the 70's and Fred Zinnemann was just incredible.

I don't know if you can easily get Warner Archive Blu-rays over in Oz but if so they did immaculate new transfers of both Yakuza and Night Moves that are just staggeringly good. If you can't the DVDs from Warner of both are still very good and were my copies for years. Both are underrated gems and will bowl you over on a first watch. I think in a lot of ways Black Rain is like an uncredited remake of The Yakuza.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 09, 2019 4:04 pm

X-Men : Dark Phoenix - bit more low-key than Apocalypse, but still fun to watch Marvel's mutants doing their thing.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 13, 2019 11:08 am

Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:
Ambler was forced to deactivate his account, hence his posts are now under the guise of 'Guest'.

Huh? Who forced him to deactivate his account?
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 13, 2019 11:40 am

Apparently he has a new employer who forbids any and all use of social media.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 13, 2019 1:28 pm

Including B&B under the catch-all "Social Media" is stretching the definition to its very limits. How many visitors do we even have?
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 14, 2019 1:25 pm

Hanna - it's more a bucketful than a pinch of salt that's required for this 'if Jason Bourne was a teenage girl' action-thriller. Pretty daft, but the cast are game enough I suppose.

This has been developed into a series on one of the streaming services, I understand. Good God.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 14, 2019 2:12 pm

I thought the film was decent. Script needed some work but thought at the time (need to revisit it) that it proved Joe Wright had the style and sense of bizarre perfect for Bond.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 14, 2019 2:32 pm

Have no problem with female action heroes, but little Saoirse Ronan taking out dudes twice her age and size? Nah.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 15, 2019 1:28 am

Maybe, but Joe Wright had very little to do with that, if the script demanded a teen assassin.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 15, 2019 3:55 pm

Foreigner...Pierce Brosnan, Jackie Chan

First Brozza film I've enjoyed in a long time, nice story, nice role...
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 16, 2019 1:43 am

It's great fun, that. Glad you liked it. Hope it spurs a re-evaluation of his era as Bond. smile

Having seen this article, by Nicolás Suszczyk, I gave The Mask of Zorro a rewatch. Completely enamoured by CZJ. Huge missed opportunity not casting her alongside Brosnan as Bond, perhaps as Vesper in Pierce's CR.

Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 Ce798848a00e66509f2cc59b827c9402

Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 Hqdefault

You just don't see chemistry like this between leads in movies anymore. Zeta-Jones and Banderas are fantastic together. Aided, no doubt, by Horner's score and Campbell's direction. One of the last true action adventure movies. I'd watch this over any modern superhero movies, anytime.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 19, 2019 7:37 pm

If you are to travel the world with anyone as guide, David Niven is the man. Or was.

Around the World in Eighty Days

it lags a little with Spain (something not in the book) but it does a good enough job. On one hand it's a case of spotting the cameos (I still think Kirk Douglas is in this movie and yet, he's not) and on the other, the visages. To someone watching this in 1956, before the internet, more numerous flights/tickets etc, this must've been a wonder to see all those countries (and imagine now if this film was made, surely a furore on all the air miles the production crew et al racked up). And it looks very real- the stunt work is quite something, seeing the main actors doing things like climbing up on trains etc helps seal the deal as does seeing them out in the open, very little is in the studio. (And again, some of the scenes would surely rile people today, especially the fight with the Redskins).
Shirley MacLaine's casting aside, this is a wonderful film to enjoy after a hard week. Niven was born to play Fog -though Cary Grant was sought after by Mike Todd, this is best suited to Niv. If anyone encapsulated the British of old, maybe Niv was that image.

It also boasts Robert Newton in spite of his faults a wonderful actor (his Sikes in Oliver Twist is very level with Oliver Reed's and maybe just that little better).

Bond-wise, Ken Adam worked on it uncredited.

Oh for the golden age of cinema.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2019 12:34 am

What's wrong with MacLaine's casting? I've not seen any version of Around the World In Eighty Days but usually one would be so lucky in hiring such an actress!
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2019 4:22 pm

What's wrong with MacLaine's casting? I've not seen any version of Around the World In Eighty Days but usually one would be so lucky in hiring such an actress!

Nothing by itself but she's meant to be playing an Indian princess. Even MacLaine said she was miscast. colgate
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 21, 2019 12:47 am

Oh right! laugh
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 23, 2019 11:22 am

The Nice Guys - this freewheeling 70s-set crime-action-comedy is a lot of fun. Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling make for a chucklesome double-act as an 'enforcer' and rubbish private investigator respectively.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 23, 2019 2:17 pm

I've been meaning to check that out. It being fun seems to be the general consensus.

I just finished Lumet's Murder On The Orient Express. Much sharper than Branagh's version. Must say the scene that stood out most was Ingrid Bergman's unedited interrogation. Expertly crafted and performed.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 24, 2019 9:54 am

I felt that THE NICE GUYS was pretty underwhelming as far as Shane Black films go. With that and THE PREDATOR I'm less enthused with his recent output.

ANNA (2019)

Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 Kick-ass-trailer-for-director-luc-bessons-latest-action-thriller-anna-social-800x400

Basically Luc Besson playing with his NIKITA concept again, and still proves to be a pretty effective action director. Eric Serra scoring doesn't disappoint, and makes me wish he would do more Hollywood projects to give that distinctive flavor so many in the action genre lacks.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 24, 2019 10:17 am

I still haven't forgiven Besson for Lucy. Ugh.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 24, 2019 10:59 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:
The Nice Guys - this freewheeling 70s-set crime-action-comedy is a lot of fun. Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling make for a chucklesome double-act as an 'enforcer' and rubbish private investigator respectively.  

That film is great fun. It's like a retelling of "Night Moves" through the prism of "The Rockford Files", only more Shane Black-ish. tongue
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 24, 2019 11:07 am

It's great fun, that. Glad you liked it. Hope it spurs a re-evaluation of his era as Bond. smile

Having seen this article, by Nicolás Suszczyk, I gave The Mask of Zorro a rewatch. Completely enamoured by CZJ. Huge missed opportunity not casting her alongside Brosnan as Bond, perhaps as Vesper in Pierce's CR.

Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 Ce798848a00e66509f2cc59b827c9402

Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 Hqdefault

You just don't see chemistry like this between leads in movies anymore. Zeta-Jones and Banderas are fantastic together. Aided, no doubt, by Horner's score and Campbell's direction. One of the last true action adventure movies. I'd watch this over any modern superhero movies, anytime.

One small Bond-related anecdote: this is one of the two roles that Izabella Scorupco turned down. The other being Kim Basinger's role in "L.A. Confidential".
For those keeping score at home, the former made CZJ a huge star and the latter earned Basinger an Oscar.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 24, 2019 12:41 pm

I'd forgotten about LA Confidential. Would love to hear her reflect on those opportunities.

Zeta Jones would have gone on to huge success with or without Zorro.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 25, 2019 3:38 pm

I'd forgotten about LA Confidential. Would love to hear her reflect on those opportunities.

Zeta Jones would have gone on to huge success with or without Zorro.

Whilst that might be true, she had been in the business for a considerable time when she got her big break.

Especially if the rumors about her fake age are true.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 25, 2019 11:40 pm

Fake age? What's that about?
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2019 2:49 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:
I still haven't forgiven Besson for Lucy. Ugh.

Hadn't seen that since theaters, but I remember enjoying that a lot for its sheer absurdity.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Movie You Watched.
Page 3 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next