More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Best and worst Bond cars

Go down 
+3
hegottheboot
Hilly
You don’t know me
7 posters
AuthorMessage
You don’t know me
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
You don’t know me

Best and worst Bond cars Empty
PostSubject: Best and worst Bond cars   Best and worst Bond cars EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 5:02 pm

I saw this recently: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/enthusiasts/live-and-let-drive-the-best-and-worst-james-bond-cars-ever/ss-AAGN3VI#image=1

I was glad to see they didn’t like two of the three BMW’s. I thought it was a slap in the face to put Bond in a BMW. Unforgiveable, actually. Switching to BMW’s was just another clear indication that the movies had lost their way and desperately needed the Craig reboot. It’s nice to see them focusing on the English cars again.

What are your faves?
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst Bond cars   Best and worst Bond cars EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 8:08 pm

My favourite for a while was the Aston Martin V8 Vantage/Volante from Living Daylights. If I was to ever have the money for an Aston it would be that one.

Soft spot for the fire-red Mustang from DAF. The DBS from OHMSS.

Never mad on the one in Dr No or the Toyota in YOLT.

Special mention, pro-mention of the 2CV, purely as I love that chase, the music and Roger Moore's look to camera.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst Bond cars   Best and worst Bond cars EmptyMon Sep 16, 2019 3:31 am

For cars it helps to also count the novels. Bond is a pure driving enthusiast and I don't mind him in more believable great cars. The 2CV FYEO chase is the best car chase in the series because it is about the chase and Bond's skill being put into action instead of a gadget much like the DN Sunbeam chase is about story and not about showing off etc. In contrast GE's chase is fun but is not a life and death struggle.
I still prefer Bond roaring around in a Bentley, Aston, Lotus etc. because it shows his taste, style, pursuits etc-but for the same reason I like Bond diving into the GTV6 in OP and roaring off, tearing around Jamaica in a Sunbeam Alpine and even the Saab 900 Turbo from the early Gardner novels.

For me best cars:
DB5, Lotus Esprit S1 and the Turbos, V8 Vantage TLD, DBS OHMSS, Fleming's Bentleys, DAF Mach 1 Mustang, Sunbeam Alpine, Saab 900 Turbo, BMW Z8. I like the Cougar and even the Hornet for spirit.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst Bond cars   Best and worst Bond cars EmptyMon Sep 16, 2019 2:52 pm

Like all the Astons and Lotuses. Was never very keen on the Beamers in 3 of the Brosnans (but at least the DB5 also put in an appearance in 2 of those) ... once heard the convertibles dismissed as 'hairdresser's cars' (sounds about right) and the TND one is a fairly dull 'executive saloon', albeit enlivened by its gadgetry.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst Bond cars   Best and worst Bond cars EmptyMon Sep 16, 2019 5:04 pm

"The 2CV FYEO chase is the best car chase in the series because it is about the chase and Bond's skill being put into action instead of a gadget much like the DN Sunbeam chase is about story and not about showing off etc"

what he said
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst Bond cars   Best and worst Bond cars EmptySun Sep 22, 2019 4:12 am

Thanks! I think it's much better to show Bond's skill as the car moments in the novels do. Outside of those two moments I don't think it really becomes apparent save for:
DB5 in Switzerland, DB5 at speed in TB, the OHMSS PTS where a frustrated Bond perfectly roars about in the DBS, the Hornet going full tilt in TMWTGG, the Esprit going at speed in TSWLM (because the Lotus test driver took over for the stuntman!), the ice driving in TLD, the GE chase and the TND park obstacle course.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst Bond cars   Best and worst Bond cars EmptyMon Sep 23, 2019 12:53 am

You had just beaten me to it as I had watched that movie the night before and that chase really stands out in an already action filled movie.It get's it off to a great start and I loved that he lost his guaranteed to get away car and was forced to use the box mobile. It made me like the car but I had no idea what kind is was as I don't know vehicles

the series could have used more moments like that 
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst Bond cars   Best and worst Bond cars EmptyThu Sep 26, 2019 7:46 pm

short but sweet was Bond in the taxi chasing down May Day
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst Bond cars   Best and worst Bond cars EmptyFri Sep 27, 2019 10:23 am

That chase is marred for me by some of the most obvious stunt doubles in the entire series ... when their faces are on screen long enough for it to register that they definitely aren't Moore, disbelief is no longer suspended.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst Bond cars   Best and worst Bond cars EmptySat Sep 28, 2019 3:11 am

I am lucky in the sense I have no eye for detail, none. No matter how obvious the flubs are in films, the stunt's, plot holes I rarely pick up on them until someone mentions it. You could probably throw cell phones in a civil war flic and I wouldn't notice.
there is someone who wrote what I believe was a very good critique on all the logical errors in Skyfall on this board and I stopped reading before I caught the general idea so it wouldn't ruin the film for me
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst Bond cars   Best and worst Bond cars EmptySat Sep 28, 2019 11:32 am

Best and worst Bond cars C4TMKPeW8AE_9eG

Best and worst Bond cars 49855
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst Bond cars   Best and worst Bond cars EmptySun Sep 29, 2019 4:27 am

That's about the most obvious one in the series. The roof shot angle should have been offside a bit and not held for so long to obviously show Martin Grace. The second isn't as obvious as its side motion and blurred a bit.

But still I'd rather get a glimpse of a true professional doing their job perfectly on an amazing stunt then the CG face replacements on inane stuff of today.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst Bond cars   Best and worst Bond cars EmptySun Sep 29, 2019 10:42 am

The top one looks like the butler from The Nanny.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst Bond cars   Best and worst Bond cars EmptyWed Oct 02, 2019 1:16 am

that's Roger, he just looks different with the wind blowing in his face
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst Bond cars   Best and worst Bond cars EmptyWed Oct 02, 2019 7:32 am

laugh

Nice try.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst Bond cars   Best and worst Bond cars EmptyWed Oct 02, 2019 8:50 am

laugh hey it works for me
Back to top Go down
You don’t know me
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
You don’t know me

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst Bond cars   Best and worst Bond cars EmptyWed Dec 04, 2019 2:44 pm

hegottheboot wrote:
The 2CV FYEO chase is the best car chase in the series because it is about the chase and Bond's skill being put into action instead of a gadget .

That chase made an impression on me as a kid. I have a similar sentiment about the chase in LALD. A double decker bus and no gadgets. He was at a super disadvantage and relied on skill alone.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst Bond cars   Best and worst Bond cars EmptyWed Dec 04, 2019 10:40 pm

And then to perform some excellent stuntwork over a wet road, too!
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst Bond cars   Best and worst Bond cars EmptyFri Dec 06, 2019 2:13 am

The moment in the bus chase where it cuts to Roger's sort of grin and then back to the exterior shot where Bond first weaves then flings the wheel to execute the 180 degree bus skid is exquisite. Roger did enough training to be photographed behind the wheel and this combined with Maurice Patchett's driving in the sequence underlines that Bond is going to use every tool at his disposal no matter what it may be.

LALD is really Hamilton making a Young style film with enough of the Hamilton breezy flavor and Mank wit to give it a slightly different tone.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst Bond cars   Best and worst Bond cars EmptyFri Dec 06, 2019 10:30 pm

hegottheboot wrote:

LALD is really Hamilton making a Young style film with enough of the Hamilton breezy flavor and Mank wit to give it a slightly different tone.

Don't know about that. Of all Hamilton's entries perhaps TMWTGG is closest to a Young-directed Bond pic.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst Bond cars   Best and worst Bond cars EmptyMon Dec 09, 2019 2:15 am

I just meant about the two fisted-ness and beefed up action focus with a down to earth story. TMWTGG brings back the Maibaum touch and consistent narrative drive along with the Cubby grandeur which Maibaum reputedly felt was lacking in LALD.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst Bond cars   Best and worst Bond cars EmptyMon Dec 09, 2019 12:12 pm

Think Maibaum described LALD as 'a lousy 'cooking dope in the middle of the jungle' picture'.

A touch harsh, methinks laugh .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst Bond cars   Best and worst Bond cars Empty

Back to top Go down

Best and worst Bond cars
Page 1 of 1