More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Is Dalton's Bond, the worst with women?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ironpony
Q Branch
Q Branch
ironpony

Is Dalton's Bond, the worst with women? Empty
PostSubject: Is Dalton's Bond, the worst with women?   Is Dalton's Bond, the worst with women? EmptySat Aug 15, 2020 7:22 am

I'm always split on how to rank Dalton's Bond, because the action hero/assassin side of Dalton, makes him the second best in a way, after Connery. But the charming seducer side to him, or severe lack there of, makes him the worst in a way.

In The Living Daylights, he doesn't seem like he actually wants to seduce the woman, and Dalton is probably thinking, "ugh, let's get this over with", and it seems he was much more interested in the assassin/action side of it.

And in Licence to Kill, the woman are the ones seducing him. Both of them seduce him like he is a tortured bad boy who needs to fixed. I didn't like this much at first, but maybe it's a good thing? It's certainly better than him doing the seducing but seeming like he is not as into it like in TLD.

But what do you think? Is his lack of a seductive charm, a weakness or a strength?
Back to top Go down
silvertoe
'R'
'R'
silvertoe

PostSubject: Re: Is Dalton's Bond, the worst with women?   Is Dalton's Bond, the worst with women? EmptySun Aug 16, 2020 11:47 am

I always saw Daltons portrayal of Bond as being more mission driven which i prefer to see, if you look at Moores portrayal and to some extent Connerys the idea that he gets to shag everything with a pulse is not true to life but i guess this is all part of Bonds persona
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Is Dalton's Bond, the worst with women?   Is Dalton's Bond, the worst with women? EmptyMon Aug 17, 2020 10:22 am

Dalton certainly doesn't have the charisma of Connery, Lazenby, Moore or Brosnan but his relationships with women work in his respective films. I feel he does develop genuine feelings for Kara which is not unlike Fleming's approach to romance in his novels. Pam's strong sense of self gives Dalton something more challenging to work with and I like seeing them navigate through that. I'm really coming around on Lowell's Pam these days. With Lupe I think he does what any man would do. Bond's approach to her is similar to that of Christmas in TWINE. Bond wouldn't mind a root but that's all it will ever be. And he knows that Lupe would only be using him as a means to get out of her situation with Sanchez. And he's ok with that.

That said, I think the romance in TLD would have been even more believable with Brosnan in the role as intended.

Though when comparing Dalton to the others, there is going to be a noticeable lack of charm and sexual energy. I believe Connery, Lazenby and Brosnan struck the right balance of charisma and danger so in that sense, Dalton's "lack of seductive charm" is a weakness. But when watching the films (and not comparing the actors), it's not to the detriment of his films.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Dalton's Bond, the worst with women?   Is Dalton's Bond, the worst with women? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is Dalton's Bond, the worst with women?
Page 1 of 1