More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Why are people reacting negatively to this No Time To Die rumor?

Go down 
+2
Blunt Instrument
ironpony
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ironpony
Q Branch
Q Branch
ironpony

Why are people reacting negatively to this No Time To Die rumor? Empty
PostSubject: Why are people reacting negatively to this No Time To Die rumor?   Why are people reacting negatively to this No Time To Die rumor? EmptySat Jul 18, 2020 10:01 pm

So there is a rumor floating around, and I will give a SPOILER WARNING just in case...

SPOILER WARNING

The rumor is that in this new Bond movie, Bond discovers he has a daughter. But a lot of people are reacting negatively to this but is it really such a bad idea? It's different... It hasn't been done before in the series, so therefore, is it really that bad of an idea, especially after so many entries, where fresh and new directions should be welcome? Or am I missing something and it actually is a terrible idea?
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Why are people reacting negatively to this No Time To Die rumor?   Why are people reacting negatively to this No Time To Die rumor? EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 12:15 pm

Bond isn't meant to be a family man, really. Saddling him with a kid seems like a bad idea.

Also, if they do introduce a kid ... where can they go with it?

She gets killed. Too dark, even for Craig's era.

She's just not mentioned in future films ... iffy continuity, but hardly the series' first example of same.

Bond realises that a return to active service and fatherhood aren't compatible, and has her adopted. Probably the best option of them all.

Back to top Go down
silvertoe
'R'
'R'
silvertoe

PostSubject: Re: Why are people reacting negatively to this No Time To Die rumor?   Why are people reacting negatively to this No Time To Die rumor? EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 12:55 pm

A daughter to whom?...is Tiffany gonna come bangin on Bonds door demanding maintenance?
Back to top Go down
ironpony
Q Branch
Q Branch
ironpony

PostSubject: Re: Why are people reacting negatively to this No Time To Die rumor?   Why are people reacting negatively to this No Time To Die rumor? EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 7:27 pm

Oh well yes, they would have to make this the last Craig Bond movie, if they give him a daughter, unless they want to kill the daughter off.  But I think if this is going to be the last Craig movie and Craig's Bond is going to retire in the end, then why not retire with a daughter? Or they could kill her off.

I mean if Bond fans like the idea of Bond getting married and settling down, only to have his wife killed off after, then why are fans not open to an idea like that with a daughter in comparison, when they liked it with a wife before?
Back to top Go down
Moore
Q Branch
Q Branch
Moore

PostSubject: Re: Why are people reacting negatively to this No Time To Die rumor?   Why are people reacting negatively to this No Time To Die rumor? EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 10:29 pm

I think it could work if Bond didn't know he had a daughter similar to how YOLT ends....or if the producers are intending moving forward to "reboot" each Bond actor and have them in their own timelines.

I think the problem for me is after the giant hole they wrote themselves into with SPECTRE and this whole reboot and retconning all the Craig films, they just seemed to be doubling down again on the let's throw everything and see what sticks approach without much thought for the future.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Why are people reacting negatively to this No Time To Die rumor?   Why are people reacting negatively to this No Time To Die rumor? EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 1:10 pm

Moore wrote:
I think it could work if Bond didn't know he had a daughter similar to how YOLT ends....or if the producers are intending moving forward to "reboot" each Bond actor and have them in their own timelines.

I think the problem for me is after the giant hole they wrote themselves into with SPECTRE and this whole reboot and retconning all the Craig films, they just seemed to be doubling down again on the let's throw everything and see what sticks approach without much thought for the future.

This.

Also, moving this to the NTTD section.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Why are people reacting negatively to this No Time To Die rumor?   Why are people reacting negatively to this No Time To Die rumor? EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 5:32 pm

Moore wrote:

In this case, it sounds like the YOLT ending of Bond not being aware he had a child already happened, as the daughter is supposed to be several years old by the time NTTD is set in the present. It's too bad we'll never truly know how Fleming's Bond would have reacted to discovering he had a child.

Though Raymond Benson did write a short story covering that subject... which doesn't sound all that great.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Why are people reacting negatively to this No Time To Die rumor?   Why are people reacting negatively to this No Time To Die rumor? EmptyThu Jul 23, 2020 11:11 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
It's too bad we'll never truly know how Fleming's Bond would have reacted to discovering he had a child.

I wonder if there are any written musings of the idea that might be in IFF's archives. Maybe there's something Horowitz might have stumbled across.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Why are people reacting negatively to this No Time To Die rumor?   Why are people reacting negatively to this No Time To Die rumor? EmptyFri Jul 24, 2020 5:27 am

I feel like if there was then Horrowitz would have gone straight for it rather than the TRIGGER MORTIS stuff, because there's a lot of potential to it for a compelling story.

For what it's worth, Paul Haggis did pitch the idea for QOS that Bond would discover Vesper had a child, and that the movie would end with him taking the child to an orphanage. EON rejected it because they believed Bond wouldn't let the child go but would want to raise it, thinking Bond, who knows what it was like growing up as an orphan, would want to give the child a life he couldn't have. I kind of get that reasoning. In the novels Bond has been shown to be sentimental over not only wanting to marry someone but raise a family. After years of being in the business of killing, taking a path like that would seem like the kind of thing that would save one's soul. Would give Craig Bond closure. And then the next bloke can play the next iteration of Bond.

Or you could just go for cheap drama and kill the kid to set up a motivation for Bond like Benson did. Then Mr. KKBB can enjoy two more hours of Craig Bond moping about his dead kid.

wink
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Why are people reacting negatively to this No Time To Die rumor?   Why are people reacting negatively to this No Time To Die rumor? EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 3:52 am

They'd be walking a fine line to get it right, and I have no faith in Babs or Haggis to do it justice. So I'd rather they not attempt it.

That said, Haggis performed some work on NTTD, so maybe it will feature after all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why are people reacting negatively to this No Time To Die rumor?   Why are people reacting negatively to this No Time To Die rumor? Empty

Back to top Go down

Why are people reacting negatively to this No Time To Die rumor?
Page 1 of 1