More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

North by Northwest Echoes in Bond

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

North by Northwest Echoes in Bond Empty
PostSubject: North by Northwest Echoes in Bond   North by Northwest Echoes in Bond EmptySat Jun 17, 2023 7:43 pm

Roger Thornhill getting cropdusted and Bond getting buzzed by a SPECTRE whirlybird is the obvious and well-noted one. However, I spotted two more last night.

First, as Van Damme's heavies enter the room to innebriate Thornhill, one of them is smoking a cig with the square resting daintily in his fingertips. It's a bizarre affectation, and Savalas' Blofeld does it in OHMSS. Impossible to be coincidental.

Second, Eve Kendall's staged fake murder of Thornhill is reprised in TLD when Bond and Pushkin fake the latter's assasination. In both instances, there is even fake blood, and in both cases one of the baddies--Leonard in NbN and Necros in TLD--kibbutz on the supposed corpse to make sure it really is a corpse. Very, very similar scenes. Probably too similar for the resemblance to be coincidental.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: North by Northwest Echoes in Bond   North by Northwest Echoes in Bond EmptyThu Jun 22, 2023 2:13 pm

No idea if it was directly inspired or not, but Cary Grant's famous light grey suit and tie combo is similar to what Bond wore in the Skyfall PTS. It's a somewhat unorthodox combo (i.e. suit and tie being the same shade of grey).
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: North by Northwest Echoes in Bond   North by Northwest Echoes in Bond EmptyThu Jun 22, 2023 4:20 pm

That was the helluva suit Grant wore. I'll pay close attention to SF's PTS next time 'round.

Incidentally, I've read that some people consider NbNW to be the first James Bond film.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: North by Northwest Echoes in Bond   North by Northwest Echoes in Bond EmptySat Jun 24, 2023 3:36 pm

Few actors have the archetypal 'Bond look' - Grant was certainly one of them.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: North by Northwest Echoes in Bond   North by Northwest Echoes in Bond EmptySun Jun 25, 2023 11:28 am

Wasn't he considered for Dr No, but ultimately ruled out because he was then around the age that Moore was when he quit Bond?
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: North by Northwest Echoes in Bond   North by Northwest Echoes in Bond EmptySun Jun 25, 2023 11:44 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Wasn't he considered for Dr No, but ultimately ruled out because he was then around the age that Moore was when he quit Bond?
The story is, they still wanted him, but he would only do one film.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: North by Northwest Echoes in Bond   North by Northwest Echoes in Bond EmptySun Jun 25, 2023 1:50 pm

An interesting what-if.

Grant was older than Fleming, let alone the ballpark age Bond was meant to be. Still, with enough boot polish on the noggin' he could've still given it a good go.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: North by Northwest Echoes in Bond   North by Northwest Echoes in Bond EmptySun Jun 25, 2023 2:12 pm

CJB wrote:
An interesting what-if.

Grant was older than Fleming, let alone the ballpark age Bond was meant to be. Still, with enough boot polish on the noggin' he could've still given it a good go.
Grant would have been great as Bond, I am sure. He feels a bit closer to the Fleming creation personality-wise than Connery.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: North by Northwest Echoes in Bond   North by Northwest Echoes in Bond EmptySun Jun 25, 2023 4:22 pm

But I'm not sure Grant had the necessary hard edge Connery possessed.

The greatest cassing misses, however, were not tabbing Lee Van Cleef for Leiter and Theodore Marcuse for Blofeld.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: North by Northwest Echoes in Bond   North by Northwest Echoes in Bond EmptyMon Jun 26, 2023 7:32 am

Perilagu Khan wrote:
Lee Van Cleef for Leiter

Interesting choice. Could've worked, but I find it hard to picture him as anything other than a villain.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: North by Northwest Echoes in Bond   North by Northwest Echoes in Bond EmptyMon Jun 26, 2023 3:36 pm

He played Colonel Douglas Mortimer--basically a good guy--in For a Few Dollars More.

If you read Fleming's descriptions of Leiter, they tally with Van Cleef's appearance uncannily. And, of course, he was the helluva actor.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: North by Northwest Echoes in Bond   North by Northwest Echoes in Bond EmptyTue Jun 27, 2023 3:15 am

Been many years since I watched For A Few Dollars More. I instinctively think of him as 'The Bad' chap in the Leone spag-westerns.

He definitely had a ruthless edge that basically no Leiter actor really had (unless you classify John Terry's acting chops as a lethal weapon).
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: North by Northwest Echoes in Bond   North by Northwest Echoes in Bond EmptyTue Jun 27, 2023 4:18 pm

That's right. And Fleming's Leiter was a pretty tough sumbitch, too, so it gibes.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: North by Northwest Echoes in Bond   North by Northwest Echoes in Bond EmptyWed Jun 28, 2023 8:50 am

Would've been quite the turn if Van Cleef's Leiter in this parallel universe ended up a Pinkerton, as per the novels, given they were the arch-enemies of outlaws in the Old West.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: North by Northwest Echoes in Bond   North by Northwest Echoes in Bond EmptyWed Jun 28, 2023 4:10 pm

Irony! Thy name is Van Cleef!
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: North by Northwest Echoes in Bond   North by Northwest Echoes in Bond EmptyThu Jun 29, 2023 6:01 am

CJB wrote:
Been many years since I watched For A Few Dollars More. I instinctively think of him as 'The Bad' chap in the Leone spag-westerns.

He plays two different characters in the films he is in. One good, one bad.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: North by Northwest Echoes in Bond   North by Northwest Echoes in Bond EmptyThu Jun 29, 2023 6:01 am

CJB wrote:

He plays two different characters in the films he is in. One good, one bad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: North by Northwest Echoes in Bond   North by Northwest Echoes in Bond Empty

Back to top Go down

North by Northwest Echoes in Bond
Page 1 of 1