More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Bond editing tricks

Go down 
AuthorMessage
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

Bond editing tricks Empty
PostSubject: Bond editing tricks   Bond editing tricks EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 4:25 am

I really like cuts that 'seem' like they are match-cuts, but are really bridging between separate events, just in a seamless way. I think I developed this affection for such trickery when I was making super-8 movies and realized you could drop out a whole second or more of a fight scene just by lining up a fist in the same position but seen from a different angle, so that you could achieve two blows being landed in less time than it would take to deliver one and pull back ... and yet it didn't look weird (and was without having to frame cut to artificially speed up the action.)

My fave is probably after Saunders does the splits in TLD, when Bond sees a balloon moving on the other side of the fence. They cut from Bond, seen from behind, going up over the fence, to Dalton landing with gun already out on the other side. First time I saw it, I didn't give it a thought, but the next time, it really popped as 'somebody figured this out really good' and it has remained that way for me since through countless viewings.

As far as sequences go, I really like the Gypsy fight in FRWL, which has a nice all-over-the-place quality, along with the whole 'escape from wavekrest' in LTK, which, except for the back projection at the end is damned near perfect for me.

I should also admit that I find editing in some Bonds to be awful -- QUANTUM is the most obvious example, as even the very nice Tosca scene is wildly overcut -- with a lot of Hunt's jumpcuts in the GF PTS very distracting.
Back to top Go down

Bond editing tricks
Page 1 of 1