More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Movie You Watched.

Go down 
+4
Blunt Instrument
Perilagu Khan
trevanian
Phantom Commander
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 11:08 am

Something of a themed double-bill last night (especially considering the first was an influence on the writer of the second).

Runaway Train - had never seen this before. Convicts Jon Voight and Eric Roberts break out of a maximum security prison in Alaska and 'hitch a ride' on a train, only for its engineer to jam the throttle open whilst in the throes of a fatal heart attack. Some of the dialogue clunks more loudly than the train and having a caption quoting Shakespeare's Richard III at the end is pretentious as hell in my book, but the well-staged stuntwork/destruction more or less see it to its destination. Also starring Rebecca DeMornay.

Speed - poor old Jan De Bont ... peaked with his directorial debut, then pretty much downhill ever since. Thrilling entertainment that cemented Keanu Reeves' action chops with Jeff Daniels as his LAPD colleague/buddy, Sandra Bullock as the member of the public who ends up having to keep a bus over 50 mph to stop the bomb on it detonating and Dennis Hopper as the embittered ex-cop 'mad bomber'.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 16, 2024 4:47 am

THE FAVOURITE
Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 Dd026635-2b0e-4f8e-95e3-dece343e9034?fit=crop&format=auto&h=1365&w=2048&s=7d4195078d85dc10f34f1e8f595300a78633a271
Another great and quirky film by Lanthimos. Excellent performances by the cast. I think I really need to see THE LOBSTER as well.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 16, 2024 7:01 am

The Mothman Prophecies - early Noughties supernatural thriller in which Richard Gere's Washington Post journo unexplainedly ends up in the town of Point Pleasant (after setting out to drive to somewhere completely different) in West Virginia, the townsfolk of which having been experiencing weird phenomena (the strangest of which is the titular being, an eight-foot-tall humanoid that seems to predict upcoming disasters and which Gere's character's wife seemingly saw and made sketches of before she died).

Chilly and unsettling, which is what you want from this sort of thing. Also starring Debra Messing, Laura Linney, Will Patton and Alan Bates.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 16, 2024 4:04 pm

Yep, Blunts, TMP is a great one, and is supposedly based, in part, on actual events that happened in and around Point Pleasant in 1966.

As far as supernatural horror films go, this one hits the sweet spot. That is to say, it is chilling, creepy and unsettling, but is not so horrifying as to leave the viewer miserable and depressed for the next few days, viz. The Witch.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 8:40 am

THE KILLING OF A SACRED DEER

Another interesting film by one of my new favourite directors. This one is pretty disturbing, though.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 11:08 am

Perilagu Khan wrote:
Yep, Blunts, TMP is a great one, and is supposedly based, in part, on actual events that happened in and around Point Pleasant in 1966.

As far as supernatural horror films go, this one hits the sweet spot. That is to say, it is chilling, creepy and unsettling, but is not so horrifying as to leave the viewer miserable and depressed for the next few days, viz. The Witch.

Atmospherically, I'd say it bears comparison to The X-Files when it was in its pomp.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 5:06 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:

Atmospherically, I'd say it bears comparison to The X-Files when it was in its pomp.
The X-Files also did feature the mothman in one episode.
Incidentally, I know a guy whose name is M. Othman.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 7:26 am

Twins Of Evil - these 70s Hammer vampire flicks become difficult to tell apart after a while. With Peter Cushing (not as Van Helsing, but it might as well be) and some pretty ladies, some of whom sportingly disrobe.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 5:31 pm

THE WONDERFUL STORY OF HENRY SUGAR
Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 Image-12

Wes Anderson takes on Roald Dahl, which is surprisingly wonderful.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 4:46 am

BLINKENDE LYKTER (Flickering Lights)

Very good Danish comedy drama, with a stellar cast that includes Mads Mikkelsen. From a criminal environment. The character gallery is great.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 4:34 am

KYRODONTAS (Dogtooth)
Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 S-l1200

Really bizarre film about a dysfunctional family where the adult kids are not allowed to go out. May be good as a metaphor, but I was frankly bored.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 7:14 am

No Mercy - Tough Chicago cop Eddie Jillette (Richard Gere) goes down New Orleans way after the crime lord (Jeroen Krabbe) who killed his partner, with his 'moll' (Kim Basinger) in tow. Decent enough mid-80s thriller, with a quite exciting stalk-and-shootout climax in a burning hotel.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 3:59 pm

Funny how often Krabbe plays a heavy. Frankly, it seems out of character for him.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 6:30 pm

With the possible exception of Bond. Koskov is a schemer and manipulator, but ultimately a bit of a buffoon.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 24, 2024 5:28 am

Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 71nHKoF+OJL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_

Never understood why people complain about these movies, to me they are masterpieces. The only gripe I have is with the scores. Never been a big James Horner fan.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 24, 2024 6:03 pm

BENEDETTA

French historical drama that takes place in a nunnery in the middle ages. Probably my favourite Verhoeven movie yet. Fine performances, great script that encapsulates eroticism, religion, power struggles and deceit. The climax is really something and Anne Dudley delivers a powerful score.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 25, 2024 11:08 am

Backdraft - squabbling brothers, a serial arsonist and political skullduggery are all in the mix in this Ron Howard number set in the Chicago Fire Department. Kurt Russell, William Baldwin, Scott Glenn, Robert De Niro and Donald Sutherland all do fine but the real stars of the show are the pre-CGI pyrotechnic effects which are spectacular, terrifying and utterly convincing.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 26, 2024 6:40 am

BEN-HUR
Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 Ben_hur_R68_japanese_b2_original_film_art_f
Epic film with a majestic score. This 1959 version by Wyler is the only one I have seen, so don´t know how it compares with any of the other versions, but I did read the book as a kid.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 28, 2024 6:55 pm

BIRDMAN
OR (THE UNEXPECTED VIRTUE OF IGNORANCE)

Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 Thumb_CE0F856D-7F6D-4E0D-B02E-ACFD50EA2537
This must be my favourite Inarritu of them all. It is a masterpiece, really something special.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2024 11:18 am

Dune Part 1 - Going to see part 2 today (day off) so I thought I'd better see part 1 first. Like Blade Runner 2049, this is a lengthy, mostly stately-paced and visually stunning sci-fi flick directed by Denis Villeneuve. Unlike that movie, I wasn't bored ... again, the visuals are stunning but the narrative kept me interested as well (and I was able to follow it OK, which is always a bonus. lol).
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2024 2:53 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Dune Part 1 - Going to see part 2 today (day off) so I thought I'd better see part 1 first. Like Blade Runner 2049, this is a lengthy, mostly stately-paced and visually stunning sci-fi flick directed by Denis Villeneuve. Unlike that movie, I wasn't bored ... again, the visuals are stunning but the narrative kept me interested as well (and I was able to follow it OK, which is always a bonus. lol).
I got my tickets for Part Two tomorrow. Loved the first one. Not so happy with the Lynch version.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 02, 2024 8:31 am

THE REVENANT
Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 MV5BNWE3N2E3YzQtNzdlMy00NzBmLWE3NmQtYTExYmIzYmZiMGE5XkEyXkFqcGdeQVRoaXJkUGFydHlJbmdlc3Rpb25Xb3JrZmxvdw@@._V1_QL75_UX500_CR0,0,500,281_
Next to BIRDMAN, this is my second favourite Inarritu. They are both great acchievements and works of art, each in their own way. I did not know that this was based on a true story.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 02, 2024 11:04 am

Dune Part 2 - the conflict between the various factions for control of Arrakis' 'spice' production begins in earnest, and in its depiction Villeneuve turns in an absolutely spectacular sci-fi epic that thrills the eye and stirs the blood. Brilliant.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 02, 2024 5:47 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Dune Part 2 - the conflict between the various factions for control of Arrakis' 'spice' production begins in earnest, and in its depiction Villeneuve turns in an absolutely spectacular sci-fi epic that thrills the eye and stirs the blood. Brilliant.  
Just got back from this. Villeneuve always delivers. I hope he gets to finish the trilogy.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 8:52 am

LA GUERRE DU FEU (Quest For Fire)
Apparently, this is based on a book, which I didn´t know.
Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 Gedalge-gdf1958
I remember being mesmerized by this the first time I saw it, back in the 80s on a b/w tv. Very silly, but highly entertaining and well made. Only now did I notice that Everett McGill is in one of the lead roles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Movie You Watched.
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next