More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Movie you Watched?

Go down 
+36
Blunt Instrument
GeneralGogol
j7wild
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
lachesis
Salomé
Gravity's Silhouette
Klown
bitchcraft
6of1
Prince Kamal Khan
dalton
Tubes
Jack Wade
Fae
G section
Loomis
tiffanywint
Mr. Trevelyan
Hilly
00Twelve
saint mark
Louis Armstrong
Seve
Makeshift Python
trevanian
Control
Ravenstone
Fairbairn-Sykes
Santa
dr. strangelove
The White Tuxedo
HJackson
Manhunter
Largo's Shark
Harmsway
40 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 4:22 pm

I looked on Amazon for it a few days ago. It can be got cheap.

I'll see what an eventual second viewing of BODY DOUBLE does for me, but it clicked with me a lot on the first viewing. I kinda looked at it as comedy, and it did it for me.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 5:57 pm

Oh, BODY DOUBLE is definitely one big joke.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 6:44 pm

The Shelton Twins were the best part of the film.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 3:55 am

Slumdog Millionaire :face:

I think Freida Pinto will be making her next appearance in Immortals, next month.
Back to top Go down
Seve
Q Branch
Q Branch
Seve

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 4:05 am

Harmsway wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:
I must be a sick person, because I was laughing during the murder.
It is a pretty ridiculous scene. I don't know that you can take it seriously.

But, personally, I find BODY DOUBLE kinda dull. It has some alright set pieces, I suppose--though nothing that isn't bettered by sequences in some of the other De Palma films--and doesn't have much emotional power. I'd take even what I consider to be middle-of-the-road De Palma, ala THE FURY or THE BLACK DAHLIA, over it.

no way!
:affraid:
Black Dahlia cannot overcome the presence of Josh Hartnet
Back to top Go down
GeneralGogol
Q Branch
Q Branch
GeneralGogol

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 4:44 am

Midnight in Paris - Another poignant charmer from Woody Allen. He's producing these movies like hot cakes nowadays and thankfully not casting himself anymore (this film has enough eye candy already laugh ). Woody sure likes to film Rachel McAdams' ass, and Marion Cotillard is at her most charming since La vie en rose. Adrien Brody has a hilarious cameo as a cetain Spanish mustached painter. As Owen Wilson's nostalgic character lived out his dream of socializing with the expat bomond of 1920s Paris like Hemingway, Fitzgerald, and Picasso, I wondered if there will be any nostalgists a hundred years from now who will travel back in time have a smoke with Woody Allen in 1970s New York or something.

Horrible Bosses - Yeah it's sometimes funny, but I could barely distinguish the no-name leads from each other... they're like triplets (well, maybe not the little, high-pitched guy). Jamie Foxx has dropped pretty low since his Oscar. Probably needed the money, like Donald Sutherland. At least the three bosses were entertaining, especially Jennifer Aniston. Kevin Spacey's another Oscar winner... that's two in such a film!
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 6:42 am

HALLOWEEN

Carpenter's best work, next to THE THING and ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13.

I love it, especially the final bit of dialogue. Shame that Loomis and Myers were turned into a comedy duo after this one.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 11:41 am

Seve wrote:
Black Dahlia cannot overcome the presence of Josh Hartnet
Hartnett ain't that bad.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 12:07 pm

GeneralGogol wrote:
Midnight in Paris - Another poignant charmer from Woody Allen. He's producing these movies like hot cakes nowadays and thankfully not casting himself anymore (this film has enough eye candy already laugh ). Woody sure likes to film Rachel McAdams' ass, and Marion Cotillard is at her most charming since La vie en rose. Adrien Brody has a hilarious cameo as a cetain Spanish mustached painter. As Owen Wilson's nostalgic character lived out his dream of socializing with the expat bomond of 1920s Paris like Hemingway, Fitzgerald, and Picasso, I wondered if there will be any nostalgists a hundred years from now who will travel back in time have a smoke with Woody Allen in 1970s New York or something.

One of Woodys' finest films. People seem to love this film. Did you notice that Woody basically cast Wilson to play Woody. Wilson plays Woody Allen as well as Woody ever did. The Carla Bruni cameo was funny too. She plays a museum guide. As if.

Lots of funny dialogue but here's one of my favourite bits. Woody/Wilson is enjoying his nightly visit to Paris of the 1920's. Here he establishes that the Marion Cotillard character, who is the girlfriend of Picasso but also was involved with Monet ( I think it was Monet). Anyway an impressed Allen/Wilson deadpans, " you take being an art groupie, to a whole new level" laugh I nearly fell out of my chair.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 5:45 pm

The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance

mightily impressive film. Lee Marvin excellent, likewise John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart yet it seemed to be Edmond O'Brien as ol' Peabody who I found the best. Maybe just the way he played the character. Indeed the scene where Vallance roughs up Peabody I thought a little shocking. Good film despite the odd smile at the mentions of "pilgrim". After years of only ever seeing one Wayne film (Sands of Iwo Jima...well two if you count Longest Day) I've racked up five I think this year, Duke's growing a little on me. We'll see after The Cowboys.

Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 Liberty6
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Manhunter
'R'
'R'
Manhunter

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 6:19 pm

Insepshn

Unbearably self-important and pretentious. Felt like a pointless blockbuster action flick (and essentially was one). I didn't even really like the scenes in which the mystery around Cobb's wife was built up, they were stilted and overly dramatic. Paradoxon - not miserly with stupid blockbuster "fun" dialogue. When Di Caprio's performance is the best thing about a film, the pic must have a lot of problems, and Inception does have them. On the whole, forgettable.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 10:03 pm

A Single Man (2009)

How on earth was this not nominated for Best Picture? That pile of shit, THE KU-KU-KING'S SPEECH won the award and this wasn't even nominated!? It's got gay people in it! The Academy loves that!

I thought it was a good film. I thought it did a superb job at getting inside this man's head, and I thought Firth's performance in this was much better than in TKS. The performances all around seemed fantastic and deeply felt to me. And the film looks great on what I read was a 7 million dollar budget. I'm really impressed it's directed by a fashion designer, and because it's his first damn film. Of course it'll look great, but the acting is great too. It's not too much of waving one's arms around wildly and shouting for Oscar attention.

How the hell wasn't this nominated?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 10:21 pm

The White Tuxedo wrote:

It wasn't produced by Harvey Weinstein.

Though to be fair, it was released the previous year to THE KING'S SPEECH. In that year, THE HURT LOCKER won.

Have you seen A SERIOUS MAN?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 10:25 pm

Mr. Brown wrote:
HALLOWEEN

Carpenter's best work, next to THE THING and ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13.

I love it, especially the final bit of dialogue. Shame that Loomis and Myers were turned into a comedy duo after this one.

I really like the look of the film, especially how the sun glares in the daylight/early evening scenes in Annie's car, and (Don't Fear) The Reaper playing on the stereo. I always found the transition to night pretty haunting too, with The Shape''s car tailing them, like some phantom presence in the frame.

Do you know what cameras and film stock it was shot on? Panaflex? Although HALLOWEEN was low budget, it doesn't look it. Nor does ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13 for that matter, which has got a similar thing going on.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 10:52 pm

The White Tuxedo wrote:
A Single Man (2009)

How on earth was this not nominated for Best Picture? That THE KU-KU-KING'S SPEECH won the award and this wasn't even It's not too much of waving one's arms around wildly and shouting for Oscar attention.

I thought for a minute you were going on about some blasted Kung Fu movie. If only, can you imagine Colin Firth doing that.

Who knows what the Academy thinks when they nominate. Must've seen something you don't.

Shouting and stomping always part of speech therapy it seems.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 11:16 pm

The White Tuxedo wrote:
A Single Man (2009)

How on earth was this not nominated for Best Picture?
I'm not sure. I thought it was Oscar-baity enough to make it in.

That said, I don't think A SINGLE MAN is a particularly good film. Firth is excellent in it (and yes, he deserved the award for this film and not THE KING'S SPEECH), but the film consistently seems to be showing off, as if Ford is desperate to prove himself. To make matters worse, Ford's stylistic choices are often rather banal, not nearly as striking or clever as he seems to think they are. The film needed a much lighter touch.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 11:24 pm

Sharky wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:

It wasn't produced by Harvey Weinstein.

Though to be fair, it was released the previous year to THE KING'S SPEECH. In that year, THE HURT LOCKER won.

Have you seen A SERIOUS MAN?

I wasn't implying it was. laugh

Harmsway wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:
A Single Man (2009)

How on earth was this not nominated for Best Picture?
I'm not sure. I thought it was Oscar-baity enough to make it in.

That said, I don't think A SINGLE MAN is a particularly good film. Firth is excellent in it (and yes, he deserved the award for this film and not THE KING'S SPEECH), but the film consistently seems to be showing off, as if Ford is desperate to prove himself. To make matters worse, Ford's stylistic choices are often rather banal, not nearly as striking or clever as he seems to think they are. The film needed a much lighter touch.

I thought the film was effective. Certainly better directed than THE KING'S SPEECH.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 11:31 pm

to be fair most things surely are better directed.

Even the new Star Trek film. Be honest, as Eric Morecambe would say.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 11:31 pm

I think they're both pretty poorly directed, albeit in different ways. THE KING'S SPEECH may make feature some startlingly inept direction, but at least THE KING'S SPEECH doesn't illustrate a moment of supposed transcendence with imagery as tedious as an owl flying away from a tree and a full moon. Ooh, it's so artsy.

Ford doesn't trust his material, or his actors' performances. Firth's eyes communicate more than any of Ford's editing tricks or overblown visual imagery.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 11:36 pm

I didn't really read it as overly artsy. Just sorta visually loud. laugh There was a nostalgic haze, but I rolled with it.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 11:45 pm

My problem isn't that the visuals are loud (I tend to be drawn to directors whose films have Style with a capital "S"), but rather that Ford's stylistic choices are tedious--it's all stuff other filmmakers, like Kar-Wai Wong, have used significantly more effectively elsewhere--and that they don't communicate all that much. It's all empty gesturing from a first-timer so eager to prove himself as a "serious" filmmaker.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 11:51 pm

Harmsway wrote:
My problem isn't that the visuals are loud (I tend to be drawn to directors whose films have Style with a capital "S"), but rather that Ford's stylistic choices are tedious--it's all stuff other filmmakers, like Kar-Wai Wong, have used significantly more effectively elsewhere--and that they don't communicate all that much. It's all empty gesturing from a first-timer so eager to prove himself as a "serious" filmmaker.

Well, I guess. I was simply impressed that he could put a film together well. I was more drawn in by Firth than anything else, and I do think his story comes across well. Don't think I'd give it a second viewing, which is part of my test on whether or not I really like a film. I'm not really a film critic. I respond to films mostly from the gut. :silent:

But I liked it leaps and bounds over practically all of the recent Best Picture nominees I've watched.

I think Sharky asked if I've seen A SERIOUS MAN. Yep. Only once, though. May do a Coen-a-thon before their next film comes out. When ever that will be.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 12:02 am

Harmsway wrote:
I think they're both pretty poorly directed, albeit in different ways. THE KING'S SPEECH may make feature some startlingly inept direction, but at least THE KING'S SPEECH doesn't illustrate a moment of supposed transcendence with imagery as tedious as an owl flying away from a tree and a full moon. Ooh, it's so artsy.

Something is better than nothing, I say.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 12:09 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:
But I liked it leaps and bounds over practically all of the recent Best Picture nominees I've watched.
I don't see a gulf between it, and say, THE KING'S SPEECH in the way that you do. But the list of films I'd take over A SINGLE MAN from the last few years of Best Pic nominees isn't massive, but there are a few: INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS, A SERIOUS MAN, THE SOCIAL NETWORK, and TRUE GRIT. (Not that I'd say any of those were the best of the respective years, mind you.)
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 12:55 am

Just caught up with Captian America on Blu Ray, dissapointing it was too. Easily the weakest of the Avengers set up films imo the action just lacked any impact, the story was bland and cliched, in many ways it felt like an early 80's tv series. I guess expectations of comicbook movies have escalated so maybe it was all it needed to be but I felt this could have been so much better. After Iron Man, Thor, X Men First Class and even Green Lantern made for surprisingly fun couple of hours this one really had me checking the time way before the end.

a 5/10 Meh
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Movie you Watched?
Page 26 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next