More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The F1 thread.

Go down 
+4
tiffanywint
Largo's Shark
Ravenstone
Aris
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

The F1 thread. - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The F1 thread.   The F1 thread. - Page 7 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 8:16 pm

Ravenstone wrote:
Thanks for sharing.

Happy to share! :) Rubens is 16th in points btw. Not likely to compete for the championship with only 5 races remaining, but still I found him the most interesting driver on the track.

The guy raced for Ferrari, in the uber-series of all racing, and here he was, in the flesh (or in fire-retardant suit and helmet) navigating the Toronto Indy circuit. Awesome.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: The F1 thread.   The F1 thread. - Page 7 EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 4:22 pm

Not only did he race for Ferrari, but let's remember the times when he made it patently obvious that he was giving the lead to his 'Number 1' driver (who's always struck me as a Number 2 anyway ;) ).

Rubens was one of those guys who let you know he was having a good time - and when he wasn't. I thought he got royally screwed by Ferrari, as their No. 2 drivers always are, of course. I liked watching him with Button with Brawn GP.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: The F1 thread.   The F1 thread. - Page 7 EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 10:24 pm

Well we are happy to have him over here. He adds a touch of F1 sizzle to the proceedings!
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: The F1 thread.   The F1 thread. - Page 7 EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 11:44 am

Big trouble in Germany - Red Bull have been referred to the stewards after the FIA technical delegate said he believes the RB8 is illegally running a blown exhaust system:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101407
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: The F1 thread.   The F1 thread. - Page 7 EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 8:54 pm

Interesting. Please let me know of the outcome.

Vettel and Horner were being rather disingenuous today. All four wheels off the track and Vettel didn't know it? Highly unlikely. He'd been running wide on each corner on each lap, probably to save his tyres. Brave decision to penalise the German driver on the podium at the German Grand Prix.

Hockenheim has had its teeth drawn though. The lap is far too short, and apart from one hairpin, it's a boring track. Actually, even with the hairpin, it's a boring track. It's just the hairpin is the most interesting part of the whole track. Which isn't saying much.

How much longer will Massa be turning up at race weekends? If it was anything to do with me, I'd be getting the test driver in for the rest of this season. He couldn't do a worse job than Massa. Alonso is leading the championship, having won more races and achieved more podium finishes than anyone else. But Ferrari are second in the constructors. Why? Because their second driver couldn't drive Miss Daisy.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: The F1 thread.   The F1 thread. - Page 7 EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 6:38 am

Ravenstone wrote:
Because their second driver couldn't drive Miss Daisy.

Harsh, but funny! laugh
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: The F1 thread.   The F1 thread. - Page 7 EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 7:15 am

Ravenstone wrote:
Interesting. Please let me know of the outcome.
No penalty. The FIA aren't happy about what the team has done, but they technically haven't broken any rules. They've convened a meeting of the technical Working Group tomorrow in Paris, and no doubt the issue will be high on the agenda. I would expect a resolution before Hungary this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: The F1 thread.   The F1 thread. - Page 7 EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 8:37 pm

tiffanywint wrote:

Harsh, but funny! laugh

I should sooo be a commentator for the BBC F1 team! :D

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:

I would expect a resolution before Hungary this weekend.

Thanks for the update. Interesting. So do you think they'll be tweaking the rules to make it illegal in future?

I did think Vettel was having a particularly stinky race. Toys out of the pram all over the place. He did not seem a happy bunny. I was reminded of the times when he and Webber had comings together and it was always the other one's fault. This time, he thinks Hamilton is stupid for trying to unlap himself. Well, tough luck, cus he's entirely entitled to do it.

Personally, I think it's stupid having a lap that's 1.20 in length. They start catching up with the back markers far too soon. They've really ripped the balls off Hockenheim. It's a terrible circuit now. It used to be an engine frazzler - two long 200mph straights - and now it's a sprint in between a 90 degree hairpin. Getting in and out of the pits is basically one quarter of the lap time. That's bad planning.

Who ever designed that track needs to spend more time with his Scalextric. And be given a lot more track to set it out with.
Back to top Go down
Seve
Q Branch
Q Branch
Seve

PostSubject: Re: The F1 thread.   The F1 thread. - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 5:34 am

Hockenheim has always been a boring track...

by the way, I'd be interested to know who you think is the number one driver of this post Schumacher "era" so far?

usually Formula One has an anointed "King", whether you agree with the choice or not, but to me it's not clear at the moment

Fernando? Lewis? Sebastian?

let me know your thoughts and why
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: The F1 thread.   The F1 thread. - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 7:17 am

Ravenstone wrote:
Hockenheim has had its teeth drawn though. The lap is far too short, and apart from one hairpin, it's a boring track. Actually, even with the hairpin, it's a boring track. It's just the hairpin is the most interesting part of the whole track. Which isn't saying much.
I actually prefer the new Hockenheim to the old. Too much of the result at old Hockenheim was dictated by raw engine power. Take, for example, the Red Bulls - they're good, but they're consistently slow through the speed traps. They'd be hopeless at the old Hockenehim, and no amount of downforce could overcome it. Sure, I don't like Red Bull, but I'm not fussed on the idea o the race being settled by raw power.

Ravenstone wrote:
How much longer will Massa be turning up at race weekends? If it was anything to do with me, I'd be getting the test driver in for the rest of this season. He couldn't do a worse job than Massa. Alonso is leading the championship, having won more races and achieved more podium finishes than anyone else. But Ferrari are second in the constructors. Why? Because their second driver couldn't drive Miss Daisy.
I'm guessing he'll see out the season. And depending on how the driver market shapes up, he may even stay in 2013. Massa might be useless, but he's still the best candidate for that seat. Ferrari might have their eye on Sergio Perez, but Luca di Montezemolo has said he's not ready for it.

Ravenstone wrote:
Thanks for the update. Interesting. So do you think they'll be tweaking the rules to make it illegal in future?
Almost certainly.

Red Bull were manipulating the relationship between the degree to which the throttle was open and the amount of torque the engine was producing. The throttle was too far open in medium-speed corners for the amount of torque the car was producing, which allowed more air to run through the engine and out the exhaust, in turn creating more downforce. The FIA clearly wasn't happy with what they were doing, and will almost certainly ban it.

Ravenstone wrote:
Personally, I think it's stupid having a lap that's 1.20 in length. They start catching up with the back markers far too soon. They've really ripped the balls off Hockenheim. It's a terrible circuit now. It used to be an engine frazzler - two long 200mph straights - and now it's a sprint in between a 90 degree hairpin. Getting in and out of the pits is basically one quarter of the lap time. That's bad planning.
I think the calendar needs shorter circuits like Hockenheim, and longer circuits like Spa. the average length for a new circuit these days is 5.5km, which goes a long way towards making the circuits feel identical to each other, and is a bizarre choice given that the FIA regulations allow anything from 3.5km in length to 7.5km in length.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: The F1 thread.   The F1 thread. - Page 7 EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 7:15 pm

Short circuits don't have enough variety to create their own individual feel. And you catch up with the back markers too soon, which just gets boring.

Seve wrote:

by the way, I'd be interested to know who you think is the number one driver of this post Schumacher "era" so far?

Well, I'd have to go with Alonso. He's consistent, talented, experienced with the politics and the driving. He probably edges it. Hamilton seems to have momentary lapses of concentration, and flat out bad luck. Button is talented, and I'd put money on him in the wet, but again, the car isn't really up to it. Raikonnen can race anything with a wheel, thinks fast, is talented, and a personality free zone. But then, I quite like that about him. Vettel is a nice enough guy, and talented, but his consistency is a little shonky and he has a tendency to throw his toys out of the pram at times. As does Hamilton, although he seems to be growing out of that at last.

So probably Alonso.
Back to top Go down
Seve
Q Branch
Q Branch
Seve

PostSubject: Re: The F1 thread.   The F1 thread. - Page 7 EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 3:13 am

Ravenstone wrote:
Short circuits don't have enough variety to create their own individual feel. And you catch up with the back markers too soon, which just gets boring.

Seve wrote:

Well, I'd have to go with Alonso. He's consistent, talented, experienced with the politics and the driving. He probably edges it. Hamilton seems to have momentary lapses of concentration, and flat out bad luck. Button is talented, and I'd put money on him in the wet, but again, the car isn't really up to it. Raikonnen can race anything with a wheel, thinks fast, is talented, and a personality free zone. But then, I quite like that about him. Vettel is a nice enough guy, and talented, but his consistency is a little shonky and he has a tendency to throw his toys out of the pram at times. As does Hamilton, although he seems to be growing out of that at last.

So probably Alonso.

nice analysis
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: The F1 thread.   The F1 thread. - Page 7 EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 6:16 am

I'd say Alonso as well. His driving ability kept both Button and Vettel off his ass in Germany. Even his Ferrari boss doubts he had the best car, but he handles his ride as smoothly as Rog used to drive his tricked out Lotus. :)
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: The F1 thread.   The F1 thread. - Page 7 EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 9:34 pm

Seve wrote:

nice analysis

Eye thang ewe :D
Back to top Go down
Seve
Q Branch
Q Branch
Seve

PostSubject: Re: The F1 thread.   The F1 thread. - Page 7 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 12:46 am

tiffanywint wrote:
I'd say Alonso as well. His driving ability kept both Button and Vettel off his ass in Germany. Even his Ferrari boss doubts he had the best car, but he handles his ride as smoothly as Rog used to drive his tricked out Lotus. :)

what?
damned with faint praise?
not the delicate touch of Dalton on ice?
nor the shaky cam intesity of Craig in a quarry?
or the virtuosity of back seat Brosnan in a car park?

at least you didn't compare him to "Crash Connery" at circuit Goldfinger…
laugh
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: The F1 thread.   The F1 thread. - Page 7 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 3:36 am

Seve wrote:

what?

laugh
but Rog is the only one that didn't ultimately crash, or really bang up the car (TSWLM), but faint praise yes.

btw, I queried this elsewhere, but what's the price of grapefruits in NZ these days? They are out of control again here.
Back to top Go down
Seve
Q Branch
Q Branch
Seve

PostSubject: Re: The F1 thread.   The F1 thread. - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 2:04 am

tiffanywint wrote:
Seve wrote:

what?

laugh
but Rog is the only one that didn't ultimately crash, or really bang up the car (TSWLM), but faint praise yes.

btw, I queried this elsewhere, but what's the price of grapefruits in NZ these days? They are out of control again here.

they don't call it "the forbidden fruit" for nothing then?

a friend of mine was excited on the weekend because he just heard there's a new Rush album out, is it any good?

and now back to the F1...

Hamilton followed by Raikkonnen, just like old times!
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: The F1 thread.   The F1 thread. - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 7:57 pm

I confess, I laughed until I almost threw up when Schumacher stalled on the grid. Oh, pardon me, of course the seven time World Champion wouldn't so something so crass as stall. He turned his engine off. Yes, makes perfect sense. Obviously....

Always said he was useless without full launch control.

Maldonardo only needs to hit the Safety Car now for a full set. Or Frank Williams' wheelchair. Unless he's hit that already and we missed it.

Fabulous to see two Lotus on the podium, although Kimi never looks happy with anything less than a win. But I don't think he's going to have to wait long. And wheel to wheel racing from Lotus. Marvellous stuff. Screw team orders - win it or bin it.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: The F1 thread.   The F1 thread. - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 8:40 pm

First McLaren win since Canada. Good thing Hamilton won the pole. Nice of Button to fall back and leave Ham to fend off the Lotus cars.

Seve wrote:

he just heard there's a new Rush album out, is it any good?
It's called Clockwork Angels. Geddy seems very pleased with it. I haven't heard it yet. Too cheap to buy it at this point. I still want to pick up their last blu-ray, the Time Machine Live Cleveland.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: The F1 thread.   The F1 thread. - Page 7 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 1:12 am

Ravenstone wrote:
I confess, I laughed until I almost threw up when Schumacher stalled on the grid. Oh, pardon me, of course the seven time World Champion wouldn't so something so crass as stall. He turned his engine off. Yes, makes perfect sense. Obviously....
Turning his engine off wasn't the problem. He lined up in the wrong grid spot - 19th instead of 17th. Then he turned the engine off.

tiffanywint wrote:
First McLaren win since Canada. Good thing Hamilton won the pole. Nice of Button to fall back and leave Ham to fend off the Lotus cars.
I don't think that was intentional. McLaren moved Button to a three-stop strategy too quickly.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: The F1 thread.   The F1 thread. - Page 7 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 1:28 am

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
I don't think that was intentional. McLaren moved Button to a three-stop strategy too quickly.
Could very well be.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: The F1 thread.   The F1 thread. - Page 7 EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 3:31 pm

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
Turning his engine off wasn't the problem. He lined up in the wrong grid spot - 19th instead of 17th. Then he turned the engine off.

Ah - is that what happened?

*thinks* - Actually, that's probably even funnier. :D
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: The F1 thread.   The F1 thread. - Page 7 EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 2:11 am

Well, I've heard that Kamui Kobayashi pulled up 17th instead of 15th, but then corrected the mistake. If true, then it appears Schumacher thought the car in front of him was out of sequence, and shut his engine off waiting for it to be sorted out, unaware that he was the one who lined up in the wrong spot.
Back to top Go down
Seve
Q Branch
Q Branch
Seve

PostSubject: Re: The F1 thread.   The F1 thread. - Page 7 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 5:30 am

a Kiwi boy clinched the F3 title

Hamilton back in the hunt, although he still needs another win to really get on terms with Alonzo

points thrown away through earlier impatience and team McLaren incompetence may come back to haunt him in the end?
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: The F1 thread.   The F1 thread. - Page 7 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 9:36 am

A lot of people suspect that Hamilton is off to Mercedes next year. It was rumoured that they had made an offer, but it really came alive when Eddie Jordan said that Hamilton had agreed to personal terms with the team. Sure, it might be EJ, but don't forget that he predicted Michael Schumacher's comeback in 2010 when everyone was convinced that Nick Heidfeld would get the second Mercees seat alongside Rosberg. And yesterday, James Allen - again, not the most-respected figure in the paddock, but certainly a much better print journalist than commentator - uploaded this thought-provoking article about a move to Mercedes.

Of course, if Hamilton were to leave McLaren, it begs the question of who would replace him. A lot of people think di Resta will get the McLaren gig because he's British, but I don't think he fits the mould of a McLaren driver, and I believe there are some much-better drivers out there. If I were calling the shots at McLaren, I'd push for Sergio Perez, even if it would be difficult and no doubt expensive to get him out of his Ferrari contract. Failing that, Nico Hulkenberg would be my second choice, and then possibly Kamui Kobayashi or Jaime Alguersuari, but by this point I'd be getting pretty desperate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The F1 thread.   The F1 thread. - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

The F1 thread.
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next