More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Movie you Watched?

Go down 
+38
bitchcraft
Richard Hannay
Manhunter
SJK91
MBalje
Blunt Instrument
Louis Armstrong
Vesper
Seve
Hilly
Ravenstone
Klown
Drax
tiffanywint
Satorious
G section
CJB
HJackson
GeneralGogol
Moore
lalala2004
Lazenby.
Mr. Trevelyan
Chigawa
Salomé
bondfan06
Prince Kamal Khan
Fae
trevanian
Tubes
James. C
Control
Makeshift Python
Largo's Shark
Fairbairn-Sykes
FourDot
colly
The White Tuxedo
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Tubes
Q Branch
Q Branch
Tubes

Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 3:06 am

Sucker Punch looked like Snyder got a brilliant idea for a video game, yet decided to make a movie of it instead and not change anything.

At least that's what the trailers told me. The "find this" and "fight this" shtick is level structure 101.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 3:12 am

Tubes wrote:
Sucker Punch looked like Snyder got a brilliant idea for a video game, yet decided to make a movie of it instead and not change anything.

At least that's what the trailers told me. The "find this" and "fight this" shtick is level structure 101.

He's a better ideas man than a scriptwriter. Could have been a nifty flick, but instead it's a mess. I agree with the Half in a Bag review that it's more of an admirable mess.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Tubes
Q Branch
Q Branch
Tubes

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 3:50 am

Makeshift Python wrote:

He's a better ideas man than a scriptwriter.

SFX-oriented, too. We have found Lucas 2.0.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 5:12 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:
I recall Verhoeven talking about audience reaction cards to TROOPERS. Test audiences hated Carmen Ibanez, and he apparently got comments like, "The bitch should die". laugh
Poor taste those audiences have.

In the book, Carmen was Rico's love interest and Flores was a dude. But then, Verhoeven apparently only read the first chapter before getting bored.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 5:16 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:
I recall Verhoeven talking about audience reaction cards to TROOPERS. Test audiences hated Carmen Ibanez, and he apparently got comments like, "The bitch should die". laugh

Oh wait, I got the names wrong. laugh That's brilliant!

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
Makeshift Python wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:

In the book, Carmen was Rico's love interest and Flores was a dude. But then, Verhoeven apparently only read the first chapter before getting bored.

Wow, that would have been interesting. Oh well, I still like what we got.
Back to top Go down
colly
Q Branch
Q Branch
colly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 3:06 pm

You disappoint me, G. ;)

The Catered Affair (1956) Dir.Richard Brooks

I spose this trailers trying to address an image problem Ernest Brognine mightve had - that he didnt seem too friendly. Or maybe they're just using the latest Oscar winner to plug his own film. Which is probably smart because its clearly MGM trying to replicate MARTY a year later. Its another Paddy Chayefsky play (though adapted by Gore Vidal) that stars Borgnine, though theyve packed it with talent - costars are the very haggish Bette Davis (i found a great description of her as a "hausfrau"), the superb Debbie Reynolds and the comic relief in Barry Fitzgerald (who like with Ward Bond, I can accept his overt Irishness if not in a John Ford film). Not to mention a very young Rod Taylor playing Reynolds' beau - and sporting some Glenn Ford-esque glasses to boot. High mark 1956 fashion indeed. laugh

As for the story, its less hopeful than MARTY, and Bette Davis doesnt get much of my sympathy - she shoehorns her poor daughter into having a massive wedding that tears everyone apart, and Borgnine's quite right to feel victimised by her a lot of the time, thankfully shes not being showy which is a plus, but shes still got a horrible accent. Part of the reason it perhaps doesnt quite have the same little-picture-that-could specialness of MARTY is because this isnt really a little-picture-that-could, by trying to emulate it theyre unable to recapture some of the magic, but its still a very effective film for the most part, and even its slightly overly happy ending doesnt sour the broth too much. So another 1956 pic well worth it. :)
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 5:58 pm

Makeshift Python wrote:
Makeshift Python wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:

Oh wait, I got the names wrong. laugh That's brilliant!

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
Makeshift Python wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:

Wow, that would have been interesting. Oh well, I still like what we got.

And Dizzy dies pretty much on the first page, right? laugh I forget how that goes. In the book, the infantry is all male, and the starfleet is almost all female. Or is it all female? I forget. No dropships, instead they're launched directly out of the starship. And they have mechanized suits. And the Arachnids have ships, right? And there's an alien species called the "Skinnies". It's been about four years since I read it last.
Back to top Go down
GeneralGogol
Q Branch
Q Branch
GeneralGogol

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 6:49 pm

While we're talking Verhoeven here, I'll share that I saw RoboCop for the first time since I was like 10. This movie seemed a lot more epic when I was younger. But of course now I paid more attention to its ugly-but-effective visual appeal and the satyrical elements. With so many other actors having been considered, I think Peter Weller did well. Having also seen Total Recall, Showgirls, and Black Book (not too interested in Starship Troopers), I can't think of many other directors that are so direct in their filmmaking style as PV. I don't think I'll see the sequels though.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 10:45 pm

Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 Tumblr_lf9vwvYMyW1qgvzeho1_500

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMoMBFhMdDw#t=1m36s

Days of Wine and Roses (1962; dir. Blake Edwards)

Ya know, I was expecting something a lot more dated. It's actually an effective film, thanks to Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick. They're both excellent. Lemmon really runs the gamut in one scene where he's arriving home drunk (and it's funny), gets in a fight with Remick, and ends up crying on her. Lemmon seriously rocks, but so does Remick. Charles Bickford and Jack Klugman are great too. Klugman sells his whole AA thing. I've always been iffy on AA, because of the whole religious element of it. But I like that Lemmon struggles to get better.

The film was a lot more effective than I had expected. I grew up around alcholism, and I don't. drink. a. single. drop. ever. So I could identify with Lemmon trying to get clean and sober and fight the urge to drink.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 11:53 pm

The White Tuxedo wrote:

And Dizzy dies pretty much on the first page, right? laugh I forget how that goes. In the book, the infantry is all male, and the starfleet is almost all female. Or is it all female? I forget. No dropships, instead they're launched directly out of the starship. And they have mechanized suits. And the Arachnids have ships, right? And there's an alien species called the "Skinnies". It's been about four years since I read it last.

Dizzy dies at the end of the first chapter, but the book opens in media res, so the first chapter is actually between chapter 10 and 11 chronologically. He dies of his wounds on the ship out. The infantry is all male, females are allowed in the Navy and also are almost all of the pilots because women make the best pilots apparently. They wear mechanized suits similar to something out of Halo (in fact, the book invented the concept of powered armor) but are launched from the ships in capsules. The Arachnids have ships, buildings, a whole civilization, they aren't just dumb insects, and the Skinnies are like the go betweens who play both sides of the war.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 12:15 am

Carry On Cleo

One of my favourite Carry On films, and still has me laughing like a drain.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 12:20 am

Thor (3D) - OK, I'll admit it ... I went to see Up in 3D, hated the glasses, and formed a bad attitude towards 3D. Today, I decided to give 3D another go ... the glasses were better, and I liked it. Enjoyable comic-book adaptation nonsense with a welcome vein of humour, decent action and eye-popping SFX.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 12:22 am

I've not seen any of the new 3D films. I found the old ones made me feel rather travel sick and didn't work well with normal spectacles. Are they any better now? It's just I'd rather not pay to go to the pictures and then find I have to leave after fifteen minutes or barf.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 12:29 am

Zulu

Sounds...like a train...

Whatever inaccuracies there are historically Zulu is a terrific film for a few reasons. There is perhaps the story of a valiant stand against an implacable enemy, the action pieces themselves but just cresting are a couple of the actors. I would say Stanley Baker is great and to a point so's Michael Caine, at first Bromhead comes off as arrogant to the hilt gradually as the film progresses becoming Baker's equal if not less. Yet always Nigel Green just sneaks it for whatever reason. The expressions at his men to keep order, the few words he utters even the moment when he fights with his bayonetted rifle doing so with military precision.
No review, however it is worded, can be without a mention of John Barry's music that works in all the right places an all the right ways -chiefly building tension during the battle.
And of course, Sir Richard Burton's narration however brief.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 1:04 am

Ravenstone wrote:
I've not seen any of the new 3D films. I found the old ones made me feel rather travel sick and didn't work well with normal spectacles. Are they any better now? It's just I'd rather not pay to go to the pictures and then find I have to leave after fifteen minutes or barf.

It may be all to do with the specs, Rave ... I think they may be better now.
Back to top Go down
colly
Q Branch
Q Branch
colly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 3:30 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 Tumblr_lf9vwvYMyW1qgvzeho1_500

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMoMBFhMdDw#t=1m36s

Days of Wine and Roses (1962; dir. Blake Edwards)

Ya know, I was expecting something a lot more dated. It's actually an effective film, thanks to Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick. They're both excellent. Lemmon really runs the gamut in one scene where he's arriving home drunk (and it's funny), gets in a fight with Remick, and ends up crying on her. Lemmon seriously rocks, but so does Remick. Charles Bickford and Jack Klugman are great too. Klugman sells his whole AA thing. I've always been iffy on AA, because of the whole religious element of it. But I like that Lemmon struggles to get better.

The film was a lot more effective than I had expected. I grew up around alcholism, and I don't. drink. a. single. drop. ever. So I could identify with Lemmon trying to get clean and sober and fight the urge to drink.

Absolutely superb film that - Lemmon, Remick and Bickford were all outstanding to me.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 3:56 am

I watched ZARDOZ for the second time. It was more enjoyable this time around, and the plot was graspable. Almost.

Then again, I had a plateful of brownies a friend of mine made. They didn't taste like regular brownies. Whatever it was, it made ZARDOZ bloody hilarious.
Back to top Go down
Seve
Q Branch
Q Branch
Seve

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 3:58 am

Leon aka The Professional(130+ minute version)
I watched the shorter version some time ago and it felt like something was missing, in fact a lot was missing
The shorter version feels clipped and hurried, the flow of the longer one seems more natural
The story also becomes far more controversial…

once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away, there was a thread discussing another Luc Besson movie called "Taken"
and some folk felt there were disturbing undertones to the relationship between the father and the daughter
which I personally found to be ridiculous

on the other hand, with Leon there are genuine grounds for concern
in the shorter version I noted that Natalie Portman was often dressed in a sexually provocative way which I felt was inappropriate, however the story never really went anywhere with it
in the longer version she actively pursues the Reno's character and in a pivotal scene (which was cut following adverse audience reaction) she directly asks Leon to initiate her into sex
the saving grace is that Leon has a moral compass in this regard and never shows the slightest sign of having any sexual intentions toward the girl
as played by Jean Reno, Leon comes to care for the girl as a daughter and show his love without any sexual connotations
not that that will stop paedophiles and the like from watching this film for all the wrong reasons

so in that regard the film walks the tightrope successfully in my view, however in other areas it's grasp is more shaky
a mafia don is presented as Leon's kindly benefactor while the police get to be represented by Gary Oldman in psycho mode
Leon the unquestioning killer is eventually persuaded to teach the girl the "tricks of the trade" and takes her with him on his murderous missions
we are supposed to assume all his victims are Scumbags, but for all Leon knows or cares they could be Saints
but I guess that's the heart of the whole story, Leon the killer with the empty life learning to care for someone again
the selfless love of a parent, rather than the selfish love of a sweetheart

it also works well as an action film, Portman wants revenge on Oldman for murdering her brother
Reno is initially a disinterested bystander who is slowly drawn into her world and rediscovers a purpose for living
Jean Reno is cool, Gary Oldman is OTT and Luc Besson knows how to direct action

the extras were interesting viewing as well, as we meet Besson's girlfriend of the time, who saw herself as the inspiration for the Portman character
a girl who preferred the company of older men, she met Besson when she was 12 and with someone else (she doesn't say how old he was)
and fell in love with Besson when she was 15 (I'm not sure what the age of consent is in France, but they must have been sailing close to the wind)
but apparently this is all par for the course in France? (I googled it and the age of consent is 15, so they just scraped in)
I imagine some would class Besson along side Polanski then, although personally I can make the distinction

Last edited by Seve on Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 4:00 am

Charley Varrick (1973; dir. Don Siegel)

Second viewing, still extremely enjoyable. What a superb cast. And a kickin' Lalo score too. It seems a number of his scores are unavailable to get as soundtracks. I'd love to get my hands on a boxset of his unrealeased scores.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 4:31 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Charley Varrick (1973; dir. Don Siegel)

Second viewing, still extremely enjoyable. What a superb cast. And a kickin' Lalo score too. It seems a number of his scores are unavailable to get as soundtracks. I'd love to get my hands on a boxset of his unrealeased scores.

Head over to the boards at Film Score Monthly, sign up, and make a demand.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/messages/index.cfm

Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 5:00 am

"Death Wish"

Moral of the story: if you're a punk, then don't fuck with Charles Bronson.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 5:28 am

Mr. Brown wrote:
"Death Wish"

And never kill his wife, daughter, son, neighbor, or second cousin.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 5:49 am

Seve wrote:
Leon aka The Professional(130+ minute version)
I watched the shorter version some time ago and it felt like something was missing, in fact a lot was missing

Years ago I showed a friend of mine the original cut of this flick, he never saw the US butchered cut before. Finishing the film he was baffled over the idea of 30 minutes more or less being cut out. I have never seen the US cut either and from the scenes I hear that were extracted. Yeah, it might push people's buttons seeing a 12 year old Natalie Portman ask for sexual intercourse, but it's important that the protagonist flat out says no. Plus it does make sense for her character growing up too fast because of having to strive for herself with no appropriate guardians and having to look after someone smaller than her, acting wiser than her age but with a lack of maturity to approach life.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 5:59 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVFiYsciTGU#t=1m10s
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 5:49 pm

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Mr. Brown wrote:
"Death Wish"

And never kill his wife, daughter, son, neighbor, or second cousin.

... 2nd wife, mother in law, best friend, friend of his best friend, or neighbor's dog.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 26 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Movie you Watched?
Page 26 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next