More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Any chance for re-releases for the 50th Anniversary

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
secretagent007

secretagent007

Any chance for re-releases for the 50th Anniversary  Empty
PostSubject: Any chance for re-releases for the 50th Anniversary    Any chance for re-releases for the 50th Anniversary  EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 9:16 pm

Does anyone think there is a chance that EON will re-release any of the classic Bond films at the cinema during 2012? When asked at the Skyfall press conference, Babs and MGW kind of looked at each other, but I didn’t read anything from it. Do you think a limited 2-week run for one of the earlier films such as Dr. No or Goldfinger would be financially viable? I mean they wouldn't do it if they wouldn't make some cash. It worked for Lucas with IV, V, and VI. But then again they had new visual effects which drew people to the theater.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Any chance for re-releases for the 50th Anniversary    Any chance for re-releases for the 50th Anniversary  EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 10:48 pm

Not sure, but I want them to do complete releases of the remaining Bond scores.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Any chance for re-releases for the 50th Anniversary    Any chance for re-releases for the 50th Anniversary  EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 11:51 pm

I'll be a happy man if I get to see TB or OHMSS on the big screen.
Back to top Go down
Tubes
Q Branch
Q Branch
Tubes

PostSubject: Re: Any chance for re-releases for the 50th Anniversary    Any chance for re-releases for the 50th Anniversary  EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 4:14 am

I think it can work in Britain, but I'm not sure about it's viability elsewhere. Bond's fanbase is too small to support a mass worldwide rerelease now, especially when you compare it to other franchises with successful ones (Star Wars, Lion King)

If it was done, the best choices would be Goldfinger, OHMSS, and Goldeneye. First is the most visible, second fits modern audiences expectations of an action film better, third is intensely popular with the current generation.
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: Any chance for re-releases for the 50th Anniversary    Any chance for re-releases for the 50th Anniversary  EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 4:15 am

secretagent007 wrote:
Does anyone think there is a chance that EON will re-release any of the classic Bond films at the cinema during 2012? When asked at the Skyfall press conference, Babs and MGW kind of looked at each other, but I didn’t read anything from it. Do you think a limited 2-week run for one of the earlier films such as Dr. No or Goldfinger would be financially viable? I mean they wouldn't do it if they wouldn't make some cash.

It worked for Lucas with IV, V, and VI. But then again they had new visual effects which drew people to the theater.

Star Wars had enjoyed a huge resurgence in the mid-90s and had achieved a "cool" status at that time as well as topping many polls of the greatest films ever made, which fuelled the financial viability of re-releases just as much as the nostalgia factor, the "never seen it on the big screen" factor, the "I want my kids to see it on the big screen" factor, the "these three films changed my life or made me want to get into the business" factor or the fact that the three films were three of the biggest-grossing and most popular films ever made and, on top of all that, they were undeniably bloody good films which had really endured the test of time at that point. We also didn't have DVD back then or giant 50" plasma screens. The three films also hadn't been on the big screen since 1985. Both Dr No and Goldfinger (as well as FRWL and OHMSS) were given one-day releases as recently as merely two years ago and weren't even close to being sell-outs, not to mention that both were (experience-wise) little better than just watching the Lowry fuck-up job DVDs on a massive screen due to them being soulless digital presentations.

I'd love a run of older Bond film prints more than anyone, but a) that's never gonna happen, sadly, and b) the recent Bond screenings weren't enough to suggest that longer theatrical runs, digital or otherwise, would set the box office alight in any way to make them worth bothering with re-releases.

Like Sharky said, I want those score expansions put out there if possible. There's motive not only with the anniversary but also out of respect to John Barry, not to mention the 99% likelihood that there won't be any other good Bond score released in late 2012. Might as well wheel out an Ultimate AVTAK score, hell I might even forgive them for SkyFail if they can do that.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any chance for re-releases for the 50th Anniversary    Any chance for re-releases for the 50th Anniversary  Empty

Back to top Go down

Any chance for re-releases for the 50th Anniversary
Page 1 of 1