More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Movie you Watched?

Go down 
+37
bitchcraft
Mr. Trevelyan
MBalje
FG Wells
Prince Kamal Khan
bondfan06
Jack Wade
Vesper
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Fae
Santa
Salomé
saint mark
Hilly
Ravenstone
Drax
Manhunter
Tubes
Gravity's Silhouette
G section
FourDot
lachesis
Control
Largo's Shark
HJackson
tiffanywint
Louis Armstrong
The White Tuxedo
Blunt Instrument
j7wild
colly
Makeshift Python
Fairbairn-Sykes
GeneralGogol
Harmsway
Loomis
Seve
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 5:53 am

Sharky wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:
Can't we have one film thread that's free of this comic book shit?

Sykes started it!

I take full responsibilty not only for starting the debate, but also doggedly running it into the ground.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Drax
'R'
'R'
Drax

Location : Slicing my enemies limb from limb into quivering bloody sushi.

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 6:55 pm

Justice League: New Frontier

Easily the best superhero cartoon I've ever seen, and among the best superhero films, if not the best. Yes it's up there with Superman: The Movie, X-Men First Class and Batman Returns. New Frontier takes you right back to the grassroots of the DC comics universe and after watching it I have a whole new respect for the creators of Batman, Superman et. al. You get a real sense of 50s America in the midst of Macarthyism and in the wake of WW2 and an even deeper sense of what all of these superheroes were really meant to stand for. Highly recommended.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 8:06 pm

The New Frontier movie is quite good, as are most of the products from its producer, Bruce Timm -- his animated efforts usually far outstrip contemporary live-action attempts. Compare Batman: Sub-Zero to Batman & Robin or Superman: Doomsday to Superman Returns.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Louis Armstrong
Q Branch
Q Branch
Louis Armstrong

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 8:09 pm

Drax wrote:
Yes it's up there with ... X-Men First Class
???
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 8:44 pm

The Killers (1946)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038669/

Vintage Film Noir at its Best with Burt Lancaster in his very first starring role and co-starring the Stunning Ava Gardner, what a Classic Beauty!!

Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 367e9e172269511 Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 47bb44172269530 Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 B020b2172269542 Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 3f93e8172269551 Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 Aeda97172269564 Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 5fa968172269578 Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 47129c172269596 Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 D35a3b172269609 Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 67c0e9172269621 Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 82c567172269636 Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 C7b1ba172269648 Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 Db3e74172269670 Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 7fc1f9172269680 Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 30dc4a172269692 Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 725299172269707 Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 E8ba60172269718 Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 Ee18c3172269732 Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 1f0f49172269741
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 9:28 pm

I guess people generally prefer the Siegel film? I like both.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 10:16 pm

The Iron Lady

a fairly muddled film that personally felt like it didn't know what to do. Stay in the present and focus on her dementia or flash on to moments in her life (yes, the dementia was something to flashback but sometimes it felt like it'd rather stay in the present). The first shot of Thatcher looked like her. Yes I know. Not Streep but Thatcher herself. It verged on parody a few times to the point I expected a live version of the famous Spitting Image sketch. I half wished the film had focus on Thatcher's relationship with Airey Neave and his help or maybe the Falklands showing how she dealt with it (her book suggests quite seriously and moments of sincere grief) or the ousting from office. "Treachery!"
Not without its moments. The scene where Neave and other direct her on how she should appear on TV or some throwaway line in Parliament referring to how she battered Howe in Cabinet, "I wouldn't speak to my gamekeeper like that!" or her scene with Secretary of State Haig when he tried persuading her away from conflict with Argentina, not only laying down the law does Maggie (Did you not do the same about Hawaii in 1941?) but stand, pick up a teapot and say, "Now I shall play mother?" Got a big laugh surprisingly.
So, yes, no and maybe. It looks similar to the King's Speech and in that regard will be maligned likewise should Streep win an Oscar she will likely be maligned and criticised like Colin Firth.
Though at least she looked like her subject.
(As for Thomas Newman, fine enough but makes one wonder what was wrong with Clint Mansell's score or at least how it SOUNDED).
Provided the most almighty debate which made Wimbledon livelier.

And on and on. Next the Descendants possibly or Battleship or some guff with Liam Neeson. Some other guff...
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
GeneralGogol
Q Branch
Q Branch
GeneralGogol

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 10:37 pm

Drive - Cool little movie. The only Winding Refn picture I've seen before was the haunting Valhalla Rising with a frightening Mads Mikkelsen. Set in L.A., Drive is equally atmospheric. Pretty boy of the year Ryan Gosling, with his toothpick between lips and his scorpion jacket, channels De Niro's Travis Bickle, albeit he has about five times less dialogue. And while with Bickle there is character development, Gosling's driver is an enigma, a silent, smiling autoton. Just don't mess with him, or else it's valhalla rising all over again. Albert Brooks' Mr. Rose is also a nice piece of work. These two, plus Winding Refn, definitely were robbed of Oscar nominations.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 10:52 pm

GeneralGogol wrote:
Pretty boy of the year Ryan Gosling.

I hope his prolapse is getting better.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 12:18 am

THE ARTIST (2011)

My 2nd viewing. I really enjoy this film. I don't think it really deserves any of the 'best actor' awards, 'best screenplay', or 'best score', but I'd say Michel Hazanavicius is deserving of an Oscar, and the film is deserving of 'best picture'--especially after being compared to that horrid line-up.

It's simple, it's enjoyable, and it's good-looking. It doesn't try to be anything more than that, either.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 12:36 am

Mr. Brown wrote:
THE ARTIST (2011)

My 2nd viewing. I really enjoy this film. I don't think it really deserves any of the 'best actor' awards, 'best screenplay', or 'best score', but I'd say Michel Hazanavicius is deserving of an Oscar, and the film is deserving of 'best picture'--especially after being compared to that horrid line-up.

It's simple, it's enjoyable, and it's good-looking. It doesn't try to be anything more than that, either.

Plus Bernard Herrmann rose from the grave to write some okay music.
Back to top Go down
Drax
'R'
'R'
Drax

Location : Slicing my enemies limb from limb into quivering bloody sushi.

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 12:43 am

Louis Armstrong wrote:
Drax wrote:
Yes it's up there with ... X-Men First Class
???

One of my 3 favorite superhero movies.

http://vimeo.com/26406532
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 2:55 am

j7wild wrote:
Ffolkes (1979)

4.25/5

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081809/

Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 Ff43c4172146981

an enjoyable film but recommended only for Purist Roger Moore's Film Fans

I am ANYTHING but a Moore fan, as the Saint or Bond, but he acquits himself very well here, even though I have always felt it must have been written for Robert Shaw.

WILD GEESE is the only time he ever comes close to seeming like Bond to me, in the 'eat the heroin' scene, but he is entertaining here, and in the cameo as Clouseau in that other film, he is close to brilliant.
Back to top Go down
bondfan06
'R'
'R'
bondfan06

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 2:58 am

Mister Roberts

I saw this at the conclusion of last year. It's another good performance by Henry Fonda. John Ford's (half) direction (Mervyn LeRoy took over after Ford went batshit drunk) offered some of the greatest shots but it did feel quite episodic owing to it's stage play origins. James Cagney also turns in a great performance if you can handle him playing a total asshole and his confrontations with Fonda are great. A young Jack Lemmon also does a great job as does William Powell in his final screen role. The scene where Lemmon read that last letter pissed me off in ways any human language can never hope to describe but that final scene kind of turned it around.

Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 3:22 am

BATTLE ROYALE (2000, dir. Kinji Fukasaku)

Tedious.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 3:45 am

Gentlemen's Agreement (1947)

Wish the DVD had a Mel Gibson commentary.

My opinion? Well, the script is pretty transparent. Thing plays like an after school special for adults, though I understand it would have been more hard-hitting in the 40's. I think Kazan's direction and the cast make this watchable. By Kazan's direction I mean to say it's filmed pleasantly, but really how he handles the actors. Peck has a nice, easy, relaxed, unforced style. Garfield too, and Celeste Holm. It's weird to see Dean Stockwell as a kid.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 5:20 am

Started watching THE LADY VANISHES on a public domain DVD. Got a while into it and LOVED what I saw! I'm going out tomorrow to Best Buy to buy the Blu-ray, among the other shit I have to do. Buying this will be the only fun errand I'm afraid.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 10:37 am

Harmsway wrote:
BATTLE ROYALE (2000, dir. Kinji Fukasaku)

Tedious.

Terrific.

Should be official government policy.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 11:49 am

trevanian wrote:
j7wild wrote:
Ffolkes (1979)

4.25/5

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081809/

Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 Ff43c4172146981

an enjoyable film but recommended only for Purist Roger Moore's Film Fans

I am ANYTHING but a Moore fan, as the Saint or Bond, but he acquits himself very well here, even though I have always felt it must have been written for Robert Shaw.

WILD GEESE is the only time he ever comes close to seeming like Bond to me, in the 'eat the heroin' scene, but he is entertaining here, and in the cameo as Clouseau in that other film, he is close to brilliant.

Called 'North Sea Hijack' down my way...but its actually my favourite Moore film, I'd love to have seen a sequel or two as its the sort of thing probabaly improves with age.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 4:13 pm

The Grey - solid 'men against the elements' drama/thriller with Liam Neeson. Decent performances, and the wolf attacks are suitably ferocious and gruesome.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 5:40 pm

I sort of want to see THE GREY.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 5:41 pm

Give it 20 years.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 6:33 pm

Liam Neeson vs Wolves. Should be a hoot, I might see it for my birthday.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Manhunter
'R'
'R'
Manhunter

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 6:55 pm

Le Salaire de la Peur

Greatly shot suspenseful adventure which also studies the characters profoundly. This must have the funniest ending of a film ever!

Some Like It Hot

Not every single bit of humour is great, Lemmon in particular overdoes a bit in places with grimacing, but a lot of the confusions resulting from the main characters changing identity and many lines of dialogue are pretty witty. A hilarious, absurd conclusion. Perhaps the best written comedy and I still enjoy watching it, even if it was by far the greatest viewing when I watched it for the first time many years ago on New Year's Eve, starting 12 am.

From Russia With Love

This must be the Bond film that suffered the most in time regarding picture quality.
But this BLU is brilliant. It looks as if we were there right in the adventure with Bond, just as it was with Dr. No.
I always found the sets and Istanbul to be very dull, but now, with the brilliant pic, it's like a complete new experience. I spotted details I never noticed before. It's an illusion to think the paled older versions looked more authentic than this one does.
Only the stupid "Bond mask" gimmick in the PTS is a flaw; the sequence is superbly filmed, filled with great tension, but it's ruined by utter silliness. Also, Tanya's questionable seeming indecisiveness in the end as to whom to shoot, Bond or Klebb, appears to be a cheap attempt at creating suspense, because it's hard to believe she still had feelings of loyalty towards Klebb, and if she was really undecided, she cetainly would not move her arm the way she does in that scene; it's unnecessarily confusing.
The rest of the film is excellent, writing, acting (Armendariz, Shaw, Connery very decent and suave, Lenya). Barry's score is an unspeakably big improvement on Dr. No, the music of which I still quite like. FRWL must have the most underappreciated score of the series. Love the Grant/Bond dialogue and ensuing fight. Terrific. Jan Williams is great, too.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 8:32 pm

lachesis wrote:

Called 'North Sea Hijack' down my way...but its actually my favourite Moore film, I'd love to have seen a sequel or two as its the sort of thing probabaly improves with age.

Before it came out I remember Moore on talk shows saying it was called Ester Ruth and Jennifer (the three codenames for the three rigs.)

Since KILL BILL, I've been re-seeing a lot of Michael Parks stuff (besides the TWIN PEAKS run that I go through every year or so), but it is hard to see him through those glasses ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 39 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Movie you Watched?
Page 39 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next