More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL

Go down 
+34
Triviachamp
right idea, wrong pussy
Loomis
Fairbairn-Sykes
Blunt Instrument
GeneralGogol
Harmsway
jet set willy
lachesis
MBalje
Napoleon Solo
dr. strangelove
clublos
Santa
CJB
saint mark
j7wild
Jack Wade
Control
The White Tuxedo
Prisoner Monkeys
Lazenby.
FourDot
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Louis Armstrong
FG Wells
Satorious
Hilly
Stamper
Perilagu Khan
Makeshift Python
tiffanywint
bondfan06
Largo's Shark
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
AuthorMessage
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 12 EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 am

Python wrote:
Harmsway wrote:
I dunno how the action tracks will sound. That bit in the clip we had definitely sounded like an Arnold action cue, wailing brass on the Bond theme and all.
I'm starting to wonder if that was merely a temp track, guess we'll wait and hear.
Temp track taken from where, though? It doesn't match up with any other Bond score. And I believe Sharky even pointed out that there's a bit of Adele's theme song in there, too.
Back to top Go down
dr. strangelove
'R'
'R'
dr. strangelove

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 12 EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 3:23 am

dr. strangelove wrote:
I really dig it. It's definitely fresh and certainly bold, especially after listening to Arnold put the music for the series on autopilot for 15 years.

To me, it sounds like a combination of Serra's "Goldeneye", Zimmer's "Inception" and another Newman score, "Road to Perdition".

These are the two tracks I was thinking of off the top of my head...

https://youtu.be/Bu33ASyD4o0?t=37s

https://youtu.be/crp7NJg8gUU

Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 12 EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 3:47 am

Harmsway wrote:
Python wrote:
Harmsway wrote:
I dunno how the action tracks will sound. That bit in the clip we had definitely sounded like an Arnold action cue, wailing brass on the Bond theme and all.
I'm starting to wonder if that was merely a temp track, guess we'll wait and hear.
Temp track taken from where, though? It doesn't match up with any other Bond score. And I believe Sharky even pointed out that there's a bit of Adele's theme song in there, too.
It could be taken from elsewhere in the film. It does sound like something that would fit better over Bond trying to catch up to the train in the first place.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 12 EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 5:18 am

dr. strangelove wrote:
dr. strangelove wrote:
I really dig it. It's definitely fresh and certainly bold, especially after listening to Arnold put the music for the series on autopilot for 15 years.

To me, it sounds like a combination of Serra's "Goldeneye", Zimmer's "Inception" and another Newman score, "Road to Perdition".

These are the two tracks I was thinking of off the top of my head...

https://youtu.be/Bu33ASyD4o0?t=37s

https://youtu.be/crp7NJg8gUU

I'm not the only one hearing ROAD TO PERDITION. laugh
Back to top Go down
MBalje
Q Branch
Q Branch
MBalje

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 12 EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 3:16 pm

Sound a bit like Spy Game and the last track have some moments who mabey a bit to techo for the cinema if you must imagine there also going to be sound effect. But it also can turn out in something good if the breath moments be good and not to much sound effects. It sound also a bit Mission Impossibe 2 and at 5.28 I also get a Terminator 2 feel.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 12:35 pm

Samples for all the tracks of Newman's score are up.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 12:45 pm

I don't love what we hear of the action cues so much--excluding "Enquiry," which works for me--but I love what we hear of many other cues.

There are definitely some lush, grand bits in there that should satisfy those looking for the "Bond sound." "Komodo Dragon," for one, and "Breadcrumbs" for another.

And I love "Brave New World."
Back to top Go down
Toppers
'R'
'R'
Toppers

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 2:31 pm

The little snippet "Breadcrumbs" gave of the Bond theme was brilliant.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 3:21 pm

There's a few that catch my ear, but over all they sound generic. I hate the Middle Eastern/North African/Bourne vibe in a lot of the action tracks (they can't all be from Turkey can they?) with the same modal sound that Newton Howard and Powell and have been hitting us over the head with for the last decade. This is James Bond, not Evelyn Salt. He's quintessentially British, not Syrian or Algerian.

"Breadcrumbs" disappoints me too. Sounds exactly like the boring Arnold Bond theme from the last two end credits.

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 3:59 pm

I wish there were more tracks that resembled these.

I guess "The Enquiry" comes the closest.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 4:12 pm

I never did quite understand why many contemporary composers are so into the North African/Middle Eastern sound.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 4:37 pm

Pretty big turnaround from your reaction to the first three tracks, Sharky.

I agree that the Middle Eastern stuff is a bit blah, and that there is a lot of standard action score stuff in there, but there is a lot I like, too.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 4:39 pm

There is that PeterGabrielLastTemptation vibe running through it all, seems kind of busy.

Heard one cue that sounded very Barry, but the rest varies from recognizable good Newmann to ... well, the busy stuff. Weird how the more I find out, the more uncertain I am of how I will receive the movie, there's just no certain sense of 'turd' or 'winner' emerging.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 4:47 pm

trevanian wrote:
There is that PeterGabrielLastTemptation vibe running through it all, seems kind of busy.

James Bond's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy.

Harmsway wrote:
Pretty big turnaround from your reaction to the first three tracks, Sharky.

I agree that the Middle Eastern stuff is a bit blah, and that there is a lot of standard action score stuff in there, but there is a lot I like, too.

Oh I agree. I like "Modigliani", "Shanghai Drive", "Komodo Dragon" and "The Enquiry" in particular.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 5:42 pm

Harmsway wrote:
And I love "Brave New World."

Sounds like Alan Silvestri's PREDATOR theme.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 6:21 pm

Eh, I'm not sure what to think yet.

I enjoyed: "New Digs", "Severine", "Modigliani", "Shanghai Drive", "The Bloody Shot", "Breadcrumbs", and "Adrenaline".

Some others could be very interesting, depending on the entire track. And the rest are rather disappointing. I kind of think of it as the bastard child of a Nolan Batman film score and a Bourne film score. Also, as some of you have mentioned, what the fuck is with this North African/Middle Eastern sound?

I wonder if the Bond theme is tagged to the first track for the gunbarrel?
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 7:04 pm

Some folks at CBN suggested that "Bread Crumbs" contains the gunbarrel, since the track title fits with what we know of the film's opening moments.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 7:12 pm

Right, and the "bread crumbs" being clues to what's happened to the missing drive. Probably from a line of dialogue in that scene with Bond in the dimly lit room with the dead MI6 agent.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 7:28 pm

Largo's Shark wrote:
There's a few that catch my ear, but over all they sound generic. I hate the Middle Eastern/North African/Bourne vibe in a lot of the action tracks (they can't all be from Turkey can they?)

It's so patronising. "This sequence is set in Turkey/Shanghai so it has to have Turkish-/Chinese-sounding music." :roll:

The only track here that vaguely interests me is the somewhat Kraftwerkian "Shanghai Drive".
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 7:30 pm

Loomis wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:
There's a few that catch my ear, but over all they sound generic. I hate the Middle Eastern/North African/Bourne vibe in a lot of the action tracks (they can't all be from Turkey can they?)

It's so patronising. "This sequence is set in Turkey/Shanghai so it has to have Turkish-/Chinese-sounding music." :roll:

Well. It's definitely not the first Bond score to do faux-orientalism. YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE did it wonderfully.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 7:35 pm

Largo's Shark wrote:

Well. It's definitely not the first Bond score to do faux-orientalism. YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE did it wonderfully.

Yes, but, as you mention, YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE did it wonderfully. And neither was it as much of a cliché in those days as it is today.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 7:39 pm

Loomis wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:

Yes, but, as you mention, YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE did it wonderfully. And neither was it as much of a cliché in those days as it is today.

John Powell's one of the most guilty with his BOURNE scores. Very influential.

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 9:36 pm

Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 11:29 pm

So the tracks are out of sequence?
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 11:42 pm

Python wrote:
So the tracks are out of sequence?

Guess not. I thought I read otherwise, too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL
Page 12 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next