More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The Film Noir Thread

Go down 
+12
Harmsway
Fairbairn-Sykes
Seve
Lazenby.
Klown
Chigawa
The White Tuxedo
Control
Largo's Shark
Salomé
FourDot
colly
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

The Film Noir Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 1:01 pm

I wouldn't consider a voice over an absolute necessity. The shadow photography, tough protagonist, femme fatale are all key. I would replace flashbacks with any non-linear story-telling. "Laura" is a good example of this.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 2:06 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 2:44 pm

Well Blade Runner certainly has a lot of noirish elements. I think the reason why you might resist qualifying it as such is its science-fiction setting.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 2:48 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 2:56 pm

I haven't done a whole lot of reading on film noir as a genre, but I really admire Paul Schrader's "Notes on Film Noir." (I stumbled on it when I picked up SCHRADER ON SCHRADER at Ambler's recommendation.)

In the essay, Schrader identifies four elements that played into the rise of film noir:

1. War and post-war disillusionment
2. Post-war realism
3. The German influence
4. The hard-boiled tradition

Schrader notes that 2 and 3 would seem to be incompatible--German Expressionism is at odds with realism--but then goes on to note that "it is the unique quality of film noir that it was able to weld seemingly contradictory elements into a uniform style," noting that film noir exhibits an "exhilarating combination of realism and Expressionism."

For Schrader, true film noir ended in the mid-fifties, and TOUCH OF EVIL was the genre's epitaph.

It's a view I can accept (though I haven't read too many competing claims in-depth), but it leaves open the even trickier question: "What is Neo-Noir?"
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 4:52 pm

Noir isn't a genre, it's a style, and one that died in the 50s. There's no such thing as Neo-Noir.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 5:18 pm

Then how would you categorize "Chinatown"?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 5:21 pm

A New Hollywood thriller.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 5:31 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 5:53 pm

Largo's Shark wrote:
Noir isn't a genre, it's a style, and one that died in the 50s. There's no such thing as Neo-Noir.
That there is a set of films from after the 50s that consciously draws on the heritage of noir is undeniable. To me, the label neo-noir seems quite suitable for those films.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 5:57 pm

Harmsway wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:

That there is a set of films from after the 50s that consciously draws on the heritage of noir is undeniable.

They're post-modern thrillers and drama, since most of them don't just draw from noir or strictly American cinema.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 6:09 pm

Many of them draw predominantly from noir, even if there are other influences.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 6:11 pm

Still doesn't qualify them as neo-noir.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 6:18 pm

Largo's Shark wrote:
Why not? If noir doesn't have a hard-and-fast definition--and it doesn't, even if you want to act dogmatically as though it does--then this is even more true of neo-noir.

One could easily define a neo-noir film as a film that predominantly draws from the heritage of noir. I don't see the problem with using the label in that way (and that's largely how the label is applied, anyhow).
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 6:25 pm

Harmsway wrote:
(and that's largely how the label is applied, anyhow)

I thought you knew me, Harmsy Baby.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 7:20 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Seve
Q Branch
Q Branch
Seve

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 10:32 pm

Harmsway wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:
Why not? If noir doesn't have a hard-and-fast definition--and it doesn't, even if you want to act dogmatically as though it does--then this is even more true of neo-noir.

One could easily define a neo-noir film as a film that predominantly draws from the heritage of noir. I don't see the problem with using the label in that way (and that's largely how the label is applied, anyhow).

agreed, close enough is good enough in this case

it comunicates the idea that if you enjoy the original 40s film noir, you may also enjoy this

"neo" anything is usually not purely a restatement of the original, it will incorporate some subsequent developments in taste and style

speaking of noir, I watched "Angel Face" last week, big Bob Mitchum and young Jean Simmons, very good
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 10:37 pm

Anyone here seen Aldrich's THE BIG KNIFE? It's on instant and I was wondering whether it was worth a look or not.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 2:14 am

Harmsway wrote:
Anyone here seen Aldrich's THE BIG KNIFE? It's on instant and I was wondering whether it was worth a look or not.

I saw some of it, years ago. Memories are vague. It's not on par with KISS ME DEADLY or anything, but it's got Palance and Steiger.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 2:57 pm

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Harmsway wrote:
I saw some of it, years ago. Memories are vague. It's not on par with KISS ME DEADLY or anything, but it's got Palance and Steiger.
It was the combination of Aldrich and Palance that got me interested. But I'm guessing that since you didn't finish it, it didn't exactly impress you.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 5:23 pm

Harmsway wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:
Harmsway wrote:
It was the combination of Aldrich and Palance that got me interested. But I'm guessing that since you didn't finish it, it didn't exactly impress you.

Might not have been in the right mood. Don't let me dissuade you from seeing it.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 5:38 pm

I'll probably still give it a look.
Back to top Go down
HJackson
'R'
'R'
HJackson

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 23, 2015 8:21 am

Wonder if there's any life left in this thread.

I've been delving into the genre some more recently, trying to ration out the few cast iron classics I have still to see (Gun Crazy, They Live by Night, D.O.A. etc) by indulging in some of the less recognised entries and re-watching some of the classics that have slipped out of mind. Of the classics I'd not previously seen, Detour and On Dangerous Ground stand out. I pretty much agree with Ambler's criteria for an ideal noir in the OP, but even though On Dangerous Ground doesn't have any kind of femme fatale figure (Ida Lupino plays a completely helpless blind woman who draws Robert Ryan's brutal cop into some kind of romantic redemption) it still strikes me as prime noir even with the sappy ending added by Lupino after Ray left the project. Films that have sudden shifts in scenario halfway through usually strike me as disjointed, but Ryan's performance really lets the entire thing hang together flawlessly. The striking environmental transition from the dark alleyways and police offices of the first half hour to the brilliant, white, snow-covered terrain up north adds a great deal to his arc.

The Postman Always Rings Twice, by contrast, suffers a great deal from the several shifts in scenario, especially since the basic set-up with the cuckolded husband and murder plots is so well executed - I liked this one a lot more than I did the first time though. I'm not sure I'd call Lana Turner a femme fatale since she seems to be led on by Garfield much more than she leads him on, but this is clearly an iconic noir picture.

What's most interesting though is that even once you get past the greats and start watching the minor works, there's a lot more of value here than you'd find in most forgotten Hollywood fare. Beware My Lovely recouples Ryan and Lupino in a scenario that gets pretty boring pretty quickly, but maintains interest with Robert Ryan's sinister performance as a psycho amnesiac and some great weirdo shots like a view of Ryan coming down the stairs seen in the reflection of Christmas tree baubles. I want to say Budd Boetticher's The Killer is Loose subverts the Cape Fear revenge plot, but I can't because it was made a year before the source novel was even published. Joseph Cotten has to hunt down and stop an escaped prisoner - a total dweeb who gets caught up in a bank heist - before he can murder his wife. Cry of the Hunted descends into a dull buddy movie as Barry Sullivan and a rival lawman coast leisurely through the Louisiana bayou to track down a violent, escaped criminal, but it contains an excellent chase sequence early on and a weird nightmare brought about by swamp water consumption.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 23, 2015 3:43 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 23, 2015 3:49 pm

"Detour" is certainly a film ahead of its time. Produced on a relative shoe-string budget as well, IIRC.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Film Noir Thread
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next