More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The Film Noir Thread

Go down 
+12
Harmsway
Fairbairn-Sykes
Seve
Lazenby.
Klown
Chigawa
The White Tuxedo
Control
Largo's Shark
Salomé
FourDot
colly
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

The Film Noir Thread - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2018 3:33 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2018 8:23 pm

Nice topic. I might have a lot more to contribute once I have more time.

I will say that I have a lot of love and respect for the 1946 adaptation with Burt Lancaster and Ava Gardner too.

Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 31, 2018 1:24 am

Marvin was so fucking cool. Love that version.

Here's another great crime thriller from Siegel, with an excellent performance by Eli Wallach. Probably one of his most over-looked roles.

I also had the privilege and pleasure of watching a screening of NIGHT AND THE CITY last May projected on nitrate film.

Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 31, 2018 9:34 am

"Night and the City" is great but it's likely also a slightly warped version of Jules Dassin's vision.
IIRC, he was no longer allowed on the 20th Century Fox lot for the editing process.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 31, 2018 9:37 am

Robert Ryan is the kind of film star who no longer exists today.

One especially enjoyable noir with him in the lead role is "On Dangerous Ground".

A disillusioned NYC cop is sent up state by his superior after the umpteenth brutality charge against him, to aid in the investigation into the murder of a young girl.

Ida Lupino took over directing duties for a section of this film, after her friend and director Nicolas Ray fell ill.

I would also recommend Ida Lupino's own "The Hitch-Hiker", which must be the original instance of the hitch-hiking horror-thriller.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 31, 2018 11:11 am

"Out of the Past", the movie with which Ambler started this thread, is terrific.
It reminded me somewhat of Cronenberg's "A History of Violence" in terms of its themes.

In a similar vein, there is the rather rare "noir-western" "Pursued", also starring Robert Mitchum.

More recently I saw "Thunder Road".

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 31, 2018 1:42 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
G section
Q Branch
Q Branch
G section

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 31, 2018 2:54 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
G Section's mention elsewhere of Stanley Baker reminded me of a forgotten Hammer noir, 'Hell is a City'. There were a few decent British noirs if you include stuff like Brighton Rock, Odd Man Out, Night and the City, and The Third Man. Also lots of oddities such as Hammer's 'Cloudburst', written by Leo Marks - he wrote Peeping Tom, of course.

Funnily enough, I have HELL IS A CITY lined up to watch next, alongside Newcastle-set PAYROLL. Talking Pictures TV is a minefield for all these forgotten gems, or perhaps diamonds in the rough.

Agreed about British noir. In addition to the ones you've mentioned, I would add THE CRIMINAL (an absolute belter, again with Stanley Baker), THE FRIGHTENED CITY (our man Sean in the lead role just months before DOCTOR NO) and HELL DRIVERS (yet again with Baker, Connery and a whole host of British talent).

i'm currently enjoying Kurosawa's ventures into noir such as STRAY DOG and DRUNKEN ANGEL. It really is a universal genre.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 31, 2018 6:28 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 31, 2018 6:37 pm

"Gun Crazy" is terrific.
Her introduction in that film has to be one of the best ever character intros in cinematic history.

Quote :
​The film transcends the bland moralism that seems inherent in its premise through its sheer lustiness. Lewis reportedly instructed Dall to act as if his "cock’s never been so hard" and asked Cummins to portray her character as a "female dog in heat," and this is indeed how both characters come across onscreen.

I think this directorial instruction was for the scene where they decide to stay together (which ends up being a fatal decision) after he finds out her murderous behavior. A scene that (IIRC) concludes with him equating the two of them to guns and ammunition.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 01, 2018 3:36 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 01, 2018 3:39 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Years ago the best way to shut my bratty nephew up was to sit him in front of Hell Drivers. Or Lorry Chase as he knew it.

People criticise Hell Drivers as Wages of Fear without the existentialism but it's very entertaining. A great cast including the very neglected Peggy Cummins from Gun Crazy. She died a few months ago.

Saw it for the first time relatively recently on Talking Pictures TV. Great cast indeed ... I got a particular kick out of Connery and Hartnell being co-stars in it. Ah, what they went on to do ...
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 01, 2018 3:42 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Cummins was also in the great b-movie Night of the Demon. 'It's coming! It's in the trees!"

Is that line the same one that's sampled at the start of Kate Bush's 'Hounds Of Love'?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 02, 2018 12:57 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 27, 2018 9:09 am

x

Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 27, 2018 9:30 am

It's an early study of a psychopath in film.
IIRC, Ladd is one of the few leading men who had anything nice to say about Veronica Lake.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 27, 2018 2:52 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 27, 2018 3:01 pm

I would argue that you can hold up his first seven years as a director, from "Hard Times" up until and including "48 Hours" next to just about any director. "The Driver" is an underrated gem, "The Long Riders" a somewhat forgotten but terrific western (with stunt casting that really works so much better than it has any business doing).
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 27, 2018 3:30 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Professor Train
Cipher Clerk
Professor Train

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 27, 2018 10:06 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
I won't comment on Cosby's current predicament but Hickey and Boggs is one of the most underrated noirs I've seen. His performance is magnificent and a reassessment of Walter Hill is long overdue.

Anything with Robert Culp in it is certainly worth watching. He's one of my favourite actors.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Film Noir Thread   The Film Noir Thread - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Film Noir Thread
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4