More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?

Go down 
+19
ironpony
AMC Hornet
j7wild
00Beast
Moore
Manhunter
GeneralGogol
Seve
Blunt Instrument
Prisoner Monkeys
Control
Gravity's Silhouette
Hilly
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
bitchcraft
Perilagu Khan
Largo's Shark
saint mark
CJB
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?  Empty
PostSubject: Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?     Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?  EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 2:46 pm

What are your thoughts on the Zorin miners massacre from AVTAK where Zorin and Scarpine seemingly just flood the mine and sadistically gun down each and every one of the loyal miners?

Was this simply overkill on the part of the screenwriters/director and what purpose did it even serve in the end-up?

Roger Moore is on record as saying on a number of occasions that he didn't agree with this more violent aspects that came into the James Bond films at the end of his run as Bond.

What are your thoughts on this?

Does it recall Silva's gunning down of the defenceless Severine?

Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?     Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?  EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 10:36 pm

Zorin was a bad guy who did bad things.
Back to top Go down
saint mark
Head of Station
Head of Station
saint mark

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?     Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?  EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 10:42 pm

This opposes the statements that all Roger Moore's movies were so clownesque and not to be taken serious. I always found that level of violence in the RM era was pretty serious but it gets hidden away due to the different approuch of RM's 007.

And Zorin was supposed to be a psychopath who even turned on his own people, so what do you expect from such a guy? With the senseless killing he staying very much in character.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?     Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?  EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 10:45 pm

A VIEW TO A KILL is a surprinsgly dark film. May Day's backseat stranglings come to mind, too.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: a    Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?  EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 10:52 pm

CJB wrote:
Zorin was a bad guy who did bad things.

Quite.

I don't have a problem with the violence in any of the Bond films, even LTK. And it's not like I'm a fan of slasher flicks or something (quite the opposite). But Fleming's books were quite violent and it is only appropriate that the films follow suit.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?     Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?  EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 10:58 pm

SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:
Roger Moore is on record as saying on a number of occasions that he didn't agree with this more violent aspects that came into the James Bond films at the end of his run as Bond.

Most of his adversaries were crime-lords, cold-blooded professional killers or megalomaniacs who were bent on mass exterminations...did he expect a tea party? I adored his take as Bond but distance myself from his personal feelings...they have no place in Bond's world.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?     Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?  EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 12:38 am

It continues to demonstrate to audiences the extent of which Zorin is a psychopath. The laughs capitalise on this ruthlessness and it aids in raising the stakes. Bond needs to stop a madman - not a businessman - who is planning on cornering microchips.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?     Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?  EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 1:43 am

No problems with it. It was in line with his character, on a small scale he did shoot Howe without much pause and coldly. However savage, the mine shooting was par for the course.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?     Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?  EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 3:44 am

FieldsMan wrote:
It continues to demonstrate to audiences the extent of which Zorin is a psychopath.

Also demonstrates the extent to which Roger was now out of sync with the series and one film past his prime. Though Zorin guns down the miners, there's nothing particularly gratuitous about it. There's no blood shown, no limbs blown off. I never found it unsettling. But maybe AVTAK would have been a better film with a lead actor who was comfortable confronting that sort of villain. Moore is not only uncomfortable with the violence, but at times seems annoyed with Tanya Roberts. He'll never admit to it, but I think he was sending subconscious signals to the audience that he wasn't on board with parts of the film, yet he was taking the $4 million dollar paycheck. So go figure!

I love Roger. He was the best. But he should have bowed out after OCTOPUSSY.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?     Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?  EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 3:57 am

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
I love Roger. He was the best. But he should have bowed out after OCTOPUSSY.

Or MOONRAKER.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?     Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?  EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 4:38 am

FieldsMan wrote:
It continues to demonstrate to audiences the extent of which Zorin is a psychopath.
Whist simultaneously being complately out of place in the Bond series.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?     Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?  EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 5:16 am

Well, given what happens with Bond right at the beginning of GE and in TND, I don't think it's completely out of place in the Bond series.

I'd say Krest's exploding head is more out of place (though it doesn't really bother me), but to each his own.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?     Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?  EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 7:20 am

FieldsMan wrote:
Well, given what happens with Bond right at the beginning of GE and in TND, I don't think it's completely out of place in the Bond series.
Bond doesn't mow down unarmed men in GE or TND.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?     Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?  EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 11:40 am

John Glen is on record as saying a conscious decision was made to 'up' the violence in the Bonds he directed, because as far as he was concerned they were competing with the likes of Schwarzenegger and Stallone.
Back to top Go down
Seve
Q Branch
Q Branch
Seve

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?     Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?  EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 2:53 am

SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:
What are your thoughts on the Zorin miners massacre from AVTAK where Zorin and Scarpine seemingly just flood the mine and sadistically gun down each and every one of the loyal miners?

Was this simply overkill on the part of the screenwriters/director and what purpose did it even serve in the end-up?

Zorin's massacree made no sense and was just plain dumb
Even pychopaths follow a certain twisted logic and there was none
It was one of the low points in the movie for me

Silva's killing Severine is quite different, it's small scale, intimate evil and he has ample justificaton, like Mr Big and Solitaire or any other villain who loses his best girl accessory to Bond
Back to top Go down
GeneralGogol
Q Branch
Q Branch
GeneralGogol

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?     Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?  EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 3:26 am

I always feel something's not right with Zorin when I watch AVTAK. He's one of the more deranged villains, but the way Chris Walken plays him just adds to Zorin's bizarreness. The way he smiles and laughs randomly, for instance before falling to his death. His machine-gunning of the miners is another one of those crazy Zorin moments. Look at his background - he's probably got plenty of bottled confusion and hate that can explode at any time. I think Zorin, rather than Trevelyan, is the more fitting inspiration for Silva, hair aside. Silva has similar unpredictable mood swings, similar confusion going on, and that eerie smile.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: s    Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?  EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 3:32 am

Seve wrote:
SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:

Silva's killing Severine is quite different, it's small scale, intimate evil and he has ample justificaton, like Mr Big and Solitaire or any other villain who loses his best girl accessory to Bond

Sadism requires no logic.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?     Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?  EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 6:41 am

Seve wrote:
It's pretty obvious that he's a) insane and b) killing off all the wintesses so that when his earthquake does happen, no-one can step forward and claim that it was man-made.
Back to top Go down
Seve
Q Branch
Q Branch
Seve

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?     Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?  EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 7:56 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
Seve wrote:

That's where you, and many movie makers, are wrong
All these types of deviants are working to a logic that makes sense to them
A good film maker is able to illustrate that internal logic to the viewer
While bad ones use the mental instability of the character as an excuse to cover plot shortcomnigs
;)

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
Seve wrote:
It's pretty obvious that he's a) insane and b) killing off all the wintesses so that when his earthquake does happen, no-one can step forward and claim that it was man-made.

A pretty inefficient way of going about it, when you got a big explosion / earthquake planned which could do it for you
Also leaving bullet riddled bodies around that may be discovered later, which may lead to your plan being uncovered
IMO if he was that reckless in his behaviour and thinking, he would never have got to the position of being able to nearly succeed in carrying out his plan
Back to top Go down
Manhunter
'R'
'R'
Manhunter

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?     Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?  EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 8:29 pm

I can't see how any of his actions discussed here are reckless in the sense of being careless.
He had to kill all of the witnesses that way, because they would not have stayed voluntarily in the mine until the earthquake came about.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: s    Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?  EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 8:52 pm

Seve wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:
Seve wrote:

That's where you, and many movie makers, are wrong
All these types of deviants are working to a logic that makes sense to them
A good film maker is able to illustrate that internal logic to the viewer
While bad ones use the mental instability of the character as an excuse to cover plot shortcomnigs
;)

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
Seve wrote:

A pretty inefficient way of going about it, when you got a big explosion / earthquake planned which could do it for you
Also leaving bullet riddled bodies around that may be discovered later, which may lead to your plan being uncovered
IMO if he was that reckless in his behaviour and thinking, he would never have got to the position of being able to nearly succeed in carrying out his plan

I disagree. Sadism is sadism. It is its own logic. Simply demonstrating why Zorin is so deranged (the whole Nazi experimantation bit) is enough. No need to do a deep character study to justify Zorin gunning down innocents. And more to the point, no need to jettison that scene.
Back to top Go down
Seve
Q Branch
Q Branch
Seve

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?     Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?  EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 12:15 am

Manhunter wrote:
I can't see how any of his actions discussed here are reckless in the sense of being careless.
He had to kill all of the witnesses that way, because they would not have stayed voluntarily in the mine until the earthquake came about.

Reckless? careless? that's just semantics, choose what ever adjective you please to describe his actions
He could easily have missed killing some of his intended victims
IMO a man who Iis capable of putting together the organisation required to pull off this particular villains masterplan would show better attention to detail when it came to disposing of the witnesses
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?     Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?  EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 12:28 am

Seve wrote:
There were no guarantees that the earthquake would kill them. And how would you convince the workers to stay in the mines? They've been packing it full of explosives.

Seve wrote:
It's unlikely they would ever be found. Even if they were, it's equally-unlikely that anyone would identify the cause of death as being gunshot-related, given that the mines were supposed to collapse on the, crushing the bodies.
Back to top Go down
Seve
Q Branch
Q Branch
Seve

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?     Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?  EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 1:15 am

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
Seve wrote:
There were no guarantees that the earthquake would kill them. And how would you convince the workers to stay in the mines? They've been packing it full of explosives..

I was thinking along the lines of tricking them into attending some sort of meeting, in some sort of dining hall or other facility under the ground that had been in use during the mining, then lock them in and gas them
IMO that would be more the sort of plan I would expect from a criminal mastermind

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
Seve wrote:
It's unlikely they would ever be found. Even if they were, it's equally-unlikely that anyone would identify the cause of death as being gunshot-related, given that the mines were supposed to collapse on the, crushing the bodies.

"Unlikely" is a word that can be used to describe most things about a Bond film...
laugh
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?     Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?  EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 1:25 am

Seve wrote:
Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
Seve wrote:
There were no guarantees that the earthquake would kill them. And how would you convince the workers to stay in the mines? They've been packing it full of explosives..

I was thinking along the lines of tricking them into attending some sort of meeting, in some sort of dining hall or other facility under the ground that had been in use during the mining, then lock them in and gas them

"Hey, what's widd da trick pool table?!"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?     Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Your thoughts on the Zorin Miners Massacre in AVTAK?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next