More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc

Go down 
+6
Blunt Instrument
Moore
Control
Perilagu Khan
Walecs
tiffanywint
10 posters
AuthorMessage
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc Empty
PostSubject: obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc   obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 3:21 am

This is thread to post any obscure references that you might find in books, music, video etc. Bond has been referenced quite a lot over the years. The Bond phenomenon finds its way into the public lexicon frequently. I thought it mind be fun to keep track of some of these references ...whatever we stumble across.
Kylie Minogue's song Loveboat from her 2000 Light Years album, sings of "007 heaven." Wait to go pop princess.

"Come join the Loveboat
We're  anchored offshore
Martinis  and bikinis
Oh,  l'amour

Loved  up in Lame
Quest ce qu'on va faire
Live your love like  heaven
Sur la mer

We'll just float 'cause the beach is boring
Our Loveboat is more alluring
We'll sail on with savior faire, Sur la mer

Have an Havana,
Pass me a peach,
Rub on some lotion,
The places I can't reach
Cool down  with cocktails,
Lose all your cares
Double O 7 heaven, Sur la mer"
Back to top Go down
Walecs
Q Branch
Q Branch
Walecs

PostSubject: Re: obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc   obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 1:12 pm

In the videogame Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge, the main character orders a grog, shaken not stirred [a grog is a fictional drink].
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc   obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 2:58 pm

Back in the 90s, there was a series of Mountain Dew commercials that was clearly riffing on Bond. I'll see if I can find one on Youtube.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc   obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 12:55 am

In Truffaut's STOLEN KISSES, the main character, Antoine Doinel, becomes a private eye and his girlfriend's father jokingly calls him "Antoine Bond of the FBI".

From what I understand, Truffaut hated the Bond films.
Back to top Go down
Moore
Q Branch
Q Branch
Moore

PostSubject: Re: obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc   obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 1:19 am

Quote :
"For Francois Truffaut, it was James Bond. In a 1979 interview with Don Allen in Sight & Sound, Truffaut said he felt "the film that marks the beginning of the period of decadence in the cinema is the first James Bond -- 'Dr. No.' Until then the role of the cinema had been by and large to tell a story in the hope the audience would believe it... For the first time throughout the world mass audiences were exposed to what amounts as a degradation of the art of cinema, a type of cinema which relates neither to life nor the romantic tradition but only to other films and always by sending them up." "
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc   obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 1:48 am

Hmmm. Which films did DN send up? To the extent the film related to anything, it related to Ian Fleming's novel.
Back to top Go down
Moore
Q Branch
Q Branch
Moore

PostSubject: Re: obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc   obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 2:04 am

Here's a brief snippet from a book where Truffaut talks about:

http://books.google.com/books?id=InkO-cNtBGsC&pg=PA130&lpg=PA130&dq=truffaut+and+bond&source=bl&ots=qJRXN2O26N&sig=6KoocQjV6v2vTtIPNoFS7pyf-5Y&hl=en&sa=X&ei=zYBCUceMFtHi4AOWo4D4Bg&ved=0CEUQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=truffaut%20and%20bond&f=false

Basically, he felt Bond was ripping of North by Northwest and Hitchcock. Bond's success forced Hitchcock to work on a smaller scale and move to more dramatic work as opposed to thrillers. In essence, it seems like he felt Bond was a degradation of cinema that garnered mass appeal forcing more serious artists and works (such as those by Hitchcock) to take a backseat or completely disappear because they were unable to compete with the Bond budgets/appeal.

Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc   obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 2:37 am

Truffaut would probably have liked to get a hold of the re-boot Bond series. He could have sagely discussed with Craig, all the problems with the old series and then taken his turn, doing Bond right. Just take a number and get in line.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc   obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 1:42 pm

There's an episode of Star Trek : Deep Space Nine (the title of which I'm not 100% sure of) that apparently 'homaged' Bond so closely that for a time (this may have changed) there were no reruns of the ep for fear of copyright-breach legal action.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: s   obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 2:14 pm

Moore wrote:
Here's a brief snippet from a book where Truffaut talks about:

http://books.google.com/books?id=InkO-cNtBGsC&pg=PA130&lpg=PA130&dq=truffaut+and+bond&source=bl&ots=qJRXN2O26N&sig=6KoocQjV6v2vTtIPNoFS7pyf-5Y&hl=en&sa=X&ei=zYBCUceMFtHi4AOWo4D4Bg&ved=0CEUQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=truffaut%20and%20bond&f=false

Basically, he felt Bond was ripping of North by Northwest and Hitchcock. Bond's success forced Hitchcock to work on a smaller scale and move to more dramatic work as opposed to thrillers. In essence, it seems like he felt Bond was a degradation of cinema that garnered mass appeal forcing more serious artists and works (such as those by Hitchcock) to take a backseat or completely disappear because they were unable to compete with the Bond budgets/appeal.

I can't agree with Truffaut. (Surprise, surprise.) The viewer of a Bond film is still supposed to believe the story, but he must believe it within a rather fantastic context. But really, that context is no more fantastic than the science fiction films that antedated Bond by close to three decades. Now granted, Bond films have been tremendously influential in the action/adventure genre, but that is just one genre. I daresay Doctor No did not comprehensively destroy--even if you regret its influence--the whole of cinema as Truffaut suggests.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc   obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 2:24 pm

Didn't Truffaut have an ulterior reason for hating Bond? Something to do with the design of FAHRENHEIT 451?

Seem to remember discussing this on BaB before.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: s   obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 8:46 pm

Largo's Shark wrote:
Didn't Truffaut have an ulterior reason for hating Bond? Something to do with the design of FAHRENHEIT 451?

Seem to remember discussing this on BaB before.

At least Truffaut's Bond critique is slightly more sophisticated than that of Greengas and Damon.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc   obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 10:02 pm

Here's Mountain Dew Bond:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9CCj9-R91I
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc   obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 12:21 am

Perilagu Khan wrote:

Clearly made with EON's approval, what with the Bond theme and 'gunbarrel' shot at the end ... slightly weird to see them 'officially' used in an ad that isn't for a product placed in the movies :suspect: .
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc   obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 12:42 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:
There's an episode of Star Trek : Deep Space Nine (the title of which I'm not 100% sure of) that apparently 'homaged' Bond so closely that for a time (this may have changed) there were no reruns of the ep for fear of copyright-breach legal action.

Our Man Bashir

Quote :
■Although Ronald D. Moore attempted to avoid directly referencing any of his primary influences, it seems that some names and situations skated a little too close for comfort. According to the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion, after this episode aired, the producers got an angry letter from MGM, the studio which holds the rights to the James Bond property. The Companion doesn't reveal the content of the letter other than to say, "apparently MGM did not find imitation to be the sincerest form of flattery." As such, in the fifth season episode "A Simple Investigation", which returns to Bashir's holonovel, the references to Bond are far more subtle.

Quote :
■Andrew Robinson commented "the James Bond spoof that we did, that was a lot of fun. It was hellacious to film, because I probably spent more hours in that makeup on that show than any other show. The show was a bear. They really were trying to make a James Bond movie, but it was an enormous amount of fun. And I thought that Winrich Kolbe, the director, did a wonderful job on it. Unfortunately, we ran afoul of the James Bond people, and we were going to do a lot of those, but that was the one and only"

from Memory Alpha. Doesn't say about the TV showings...I guess they overcame that in time.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc   obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 12:54 am

Cheers, Hilly.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc   obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 1:00 am

No worries, Blunty.

I guess it's quite obscure but maybe the Dirk Pitt books (early on). Pitt was sort of a Bond type to a point. Cyclops has Pitt arriving at a party in tuxedo and: The orchestra was playing themes from John Barry scores, light on the brass and heavy on the strings.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc   obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 1:06 am

Perilagu Khan wrote:

Nothing says James Bond like Mountain Dew and 90's douchebags.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc   obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 11:31 am

Hilly wrote:
No worries, Blunty.

I guess it's quite obscure but maybe the Dirk Pitt books (early on). Pitt was sort of a Bond type to a point. Cyclops has Pitt arriving at a party in tuxedo and: The orchestra was playing themes from John Barry scores, light on the brass and heavy on the strings.

Not sure how far along in the Pitt books it is (or how faithful an adaptation it was), but I thought Sahara made Pitt look more of an Indy type.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: s   obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 2:17 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Hilly wrote:
No worries, Blunty.

Not sure how far along in the Pitt books it is (or how faithful an adaptation it was), but I thought Sahara made Pitt look more of an Indy type.

If I had a dime for every subtle--and sometimes not so subtle--nod to Bond and Fleming I encountered while reading a thriller, well, I'd still be worried about my retirement account, but you get the idea. And, yes, Cussler made many bows to Bond.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: s   obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 2:18 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:

Clearly made with EON's approval, what with the Bond theme and 'gunbarrel' shot at the end ... slightly weird to see them 'officially' used in an ad that isn't for a product placed in the movies :suspect: .

Mountin' Doo musta forked over a tidy chunk o' wampum.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc   obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 9:46 am

I like this thread. I like this thread very much. I'm all into obscure Bond references in Bond culture. Keep them coming.
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

PostSubject: Re: obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc   obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 11:17 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:

I was not a big fan of DS9 but that was a great episode.

I have a copy of it on my hard drive.
Back to top Go down
Walecs
Q Branch
Q Branch
Walecs

PostSubject: Re: obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc   obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 6:42 pm

In the Green Day's song "21 Guns", the lyrics say "Live and Let Die".

According to a friend of mine that's because one of them is a fan of Beatles, so the reference is to the song rather than to the book/movie.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc   obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc Empty

Back to top Go down

obscure Bond references in pop culture, literature, media etc
Page 1 of 1