More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The Film Score Thread

Go down 
+24
bondfan06
Fort Knox
saint mark
TedHeath
MBalje
Santa
lachesis
Mr. Trevelyan
Harmsway
Lazenby.
Gravity's Silhouette
trevanian
dr. strangelove
Chigawa
MOO7RE
GeneralGogol
Hilly
Drax
G section
FourDot
colly
Makeshift Python
Largo's Shark
The White Tuxedo
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
AuthorMessage
boldfinger
Cipher Clerk
boldfinger

The Film Score Thread - Page 32 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 32 EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 9:31 am

Intrada releases The Hunt for Red October in full glory.
Something like 60min instead of the previously available 30min, or so I read.
Limited quantity, so anyone interested should order it now.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 32 EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 12:04 pm

I didn't learn till recently that one of my favourite cues in the score is actually temp music. Search for 'Payoff' from Poledouris's score for NO MAN'S LAND, and you'll know exactly what scene I'm talking about.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 32 EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 10:39 pm

boldfinger wrote:
Man oh man I've been after a fully OST for ages.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
boldfinger
Cipher Clerk
boldfinger

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 32 EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 7:16 am

Hilly KCMG wrote:
boldfinger wrote:
Man oh man I've been after a fully OST for ages.
Who hasn´t been ROTFLMAO ?

Largo's Shark wrote:
I didn't learn till recently that one of my favourite cues in the score is actually temp music. Search for 'Payoff' from Poledouris's score for NO MAN'S LAND, and you'll know exactly what scene I'm talking about.
I love the No Man´s Land score. I have the Cherry2000/No Man´s Land CD. Such a great listen, and it even goes well to listen to both scores as they are on CD, as if No Man´s Land, even though stylistically somewhat different, were the third act of the whole package.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 32 EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 5:52 pm

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8475/.f?sc=2&category=7

Morricone's LOLITA is getting an expanded release.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 32 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 3:17 am

John Barry's score for MISTER MOSES gets a release tomorrow, according to Film Score Monthly.

Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 32 EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 12:58 am

Expect a complete re-recording of Bernard Herrmann's OBSESSION in the near future, along with a re-release of the original soundtrack.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=106229&forumID=1&archive=0

Perhaps this tells us that the original, complete recordings have been lost or not taken care of.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 32 EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 2:52 am

Great that Tadlow/Prometheus are thinking of picking it up, but I don't like James Fitzpatrick's idea of expanding the orchestra size.

Quote :
Hopefully people will like the new recording as I will be using slightly larger forces than Herrmann used...rather than 4 hours...which Herrmann was not too happy with, apparently .. I will be using 8 horns stereo split 4 and 4 as well as stereo violins, stereo harps etc...

As I said in my reply, you risk turning a waltercolour into an oil painting.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 32 EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 3:45 pm

And will it be performed in a church? Hope so.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 32 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2014 4:06 am

Music Box Records will be releasing OBSESSION, as well. They're calling it a "special archival edition", but most people over at Film Score Monthly seem to think it'll be an official release of the mono tracks used for the laserdisc.

Hope it's the full thing.

The Film Score Thread - Page 32 10698666_801779413198039_480400156448632727_n
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 32 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2014 5:24 am

If it's the OST then I'm in. Hate re-recordings. The notes are never quite where you remember.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 32 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2014 12:57 pm

I've always wanted that cue for when Lithgow gloats at Bujold through the airport glass. Inexplicably it's neither on the bootleg or my copy of the handwritten score.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 32 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2014 8:08 pm

Someone over at Film Score Monthly claimed that he produced the laserdisc and that Sony has all of the music tracks in stereo.

Good news. Hopefully that's what Music Box is releasing.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 32 EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 5:07 am

Kritzerland's released Herrmann's THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL. It'll probably be sold out by the end of this weekend.
http://www.kritzerland.com/day_earth_still.htm
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 32 EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 10:59 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
If it's the OST then I'm in. Hate re-recordings. The notes are never quite where you remember.

I think Tadlow's re-recording will be worth listening to. Nic Raine and The City of Prague Philharmonic have done a nice job re-recording music from OBSESSION in the past, like this track:

The album's producer also confirmed on Film Score Monthly that it'll be available as a Blu-Ray audio CD, aimed at audiophiles.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 32 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 10:47 pm

Just heard this for the first time and it blew me away. John Barry's "You Came from the Sea"

Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 32 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 11:10 pm

Some more Barry:
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 32 EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 12:21 am

Hilly KCMG wrote:
Just heard this for the first time and it blew me away. John Barry's "You Came from the Sea"

First discovered the score on that week after John Barry's death. Somehow stayed with me ever since - especially 1:00-2:30.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 32 EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 12:28 am

It is particularly affecting. I gave Moviola a re-listen and it's the same. Of all the composers, it's his work that when I first listen or re-listen that I get the hairs stand up. Out of Africa (I Had a Farm in Africa) is the best example. Williams and Goldsmith, certain tracks do that on a re-listen but not as much as Barry.

And Nocturnal New York is, like Beyondness of Things in general, is brilliant.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 32 EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 6:19 pm

Barry was great with music for suspense and passion. He also did well with creating music that corresponded to various locations in films. One example of that would be from YOLT, with Barry's lush music for Bond's arrival in Japan.

Here's a City of Prague Philharmonic/Nic Raine re-recording of the love theme from THE BETSY--a Barry score I that I really hadn't known of until the end of last year.

Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 32 EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 10:08 pm

Good ol' Nic Raine. Though it got me thinking for a proper release of Raise the Titanic, don't know what I'm looking for exactly.

And random thought I had the other week about if only to see an orchestra or someone either do Horner's Star Trek stuff (mostly III) or some interpretation like a thousand videos seem to do of Zimmer's stuff.

Or, even, challenging Horner to what he might've done if he had scored Star Trek IV.

It's been a stupid day. I'm not even drunk.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 32 EmptySat Dec 30, 2017 3:58 pm

Quote :
‘Solo’ will stay in the ‘Star Wars’ family with veteran franchise composer John Williams set to write the theme for the standalone film about Han Solo, slated for release on May 25. It will be Williams’ ninth assignment.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/john-williams-star-wars-composer-han-solo-movie-theme-1202650282/

John Williams has been brought on board Ron Howard's SOLO to write the main theme. John Powell will write the rest of the score.

I always welcome more Williams music, but imagine how that must feel for Powell? big laugh

I'm guessing the film is such a pile of shit (with reshoots, change of directors, problems with the actors, etc.) that this is one of a few last-ditch attempts to try to make it more charming or appealing to STAR WARS fans, or even people who don't follow the franchise.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 32 EmptySat Dec 30, 2017 4:07 pm

I have an image, not that he's remotely near that kind of guy, Williams breezing past Powell on a stage and saying: "This is my shit now."

Though it vaguely reminds me of Shadows of the Empire. How you'd have Joel McNeely do the 'score' with some Williams' insight or at least his themes (the use of the Imperial theme in Destruction of Xizor's Palace is one of my favourite uses of it).
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 32 EmptySun May 14, 2023 11:02 am

Nice vocal version of a timeless classic.

Another classic that I remember was very popular at the time.

This may have been posted before, but this is a Very Large thread to go through.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 32 EmptyMon May 15, 2023 5:01 pm

Another iconic piece.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 32 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Film Score Thread
Page 32 of 33Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33  Next