More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Current obsessions and compulsions

Go down 
AuthorMessage
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

Current obsessions and compulsions Empty
PostSubject: Current obsessions and compulsions   Current obsessions and compulsions EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 4:20 pm

I'm trying to build up a representative collection of old English coins...preferably those that were actually circulated and not just minted for commemorative purposes or as tokens.

I recently got this one, an almost 200 year old shilling minted in 1817 from George III's reign. Hopefully I can dip into the 17th century as well...although I suspect earlier coins weren't date stamped.

Current obsessions and compulsions 1817front

Among other things, I'll be using these to explain the Royal family and its history to my daughter...she's already asked me some awkward questions about (Bloody) Mary and Henry VIII....(I let her watch The Tudors).

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Current obsessions and compulsions   Current obsessions and compulsions EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 4:36 pm

There's a long-forgotten collecting thread here, Dog:

https://bondandbeyond.forumotion.com/t199-hobbies-or-your-overflowing-uncontrollable-collections

Coins aren't my thing, Krugerrands excepted, but Rave knows all about that period of British history. Unfortunately, she's currently laying waste to Scotland. What were you daughter's awkward questions anyway?
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Current obsessions and compulsions   Current obsessions and compulsions EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 5:47 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
What were you daughter's awkward questions anyway?

Well, one of the most well known British monarchies of all time had a reputation for trumping up charges on his wives and then having them executed. She wanted to know how he could do this and how a tyrant could be allowed to remain King. Same for Mary, who rounded up protestants and had them slaughtered. In her innocent little eyes, the UK Monarchies are supposed to be the good guys...
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Current obsessions and compulsions   Current obsessions and compulsions EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 6:10 pm

Ah yes. Well, I suppose teaching her about absolute power and the divine right of kings might be no bad thing. Always an eye opener. Sometimes with a red hot poker ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Current obsessions and compulsions   Current obsessions and compulsions Empty

Back to top Go down

Current obsessions and compulsions
Page 1 of 1