More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Public Image Ltd (PiL)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

Public Image Ltd (PiL) Empty
PostSubject: Public Image Ltd (PiL)   Public Image Ltd (PiL) EmptySat Jun 29, 2013 1:33 am

Watch this space.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Public Image Ltd (PiL)   Public Image Ltd (PiL) EmptySat Jun 29, 2013 3:45 am

Really getting into PiL now, my interest in them sparked by seeing them as one of the supporting acts for The Stone Roses in London earlier this month. Far too early to call myself a fan, but I'm definitely enj---- well, "enjoying" isn't really the word for some of their stuff, but I'm certainly intrigued by what I'm listening to. It helps a lot that there are echoes of other bands I've long loved (notably The Fall and Joy Division), but even so PiL do take a bit of getting used to. Mind you, that's precisely what makes them sound so refreshing. Have so far bought last year's comeback album This Is PiL as well as 1979's revered Metal Box (or Second Edition, as the CD version is called).

Standout tracks for me so far: "One Drop", "Deeper Water", "Reggie Song" and "Out of the Woods" from This Is PiL and "Albatross" and "Poptones" from Metal Box.

I have, of course, heard a few other things. The 1983 hit single "This Is Not a Love Song" (which hit number five in Britain!) is goofy, catchy, synth-driven fun. "The Order of Death", which I gather turned up in an episode of MIAMI VICE, is haunting, vaguely Moroder-ish fare. And watching POINT BREAK the other day I heard "Criminal", which if memory serves features guitar work that's pure heavy metal (speaking of which, I was somewhat stunned to learn that Steve Vai has played with PiL, as have Ginger Baker and Ryuichi Sakamoto).

I'm also partial to "World Destruction", a track John Lydon did with Afrika Bambaataa, which memorably soundtracks the start of one of the seasons of THE SOPRANOS.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Public Image Ltd (PiL)   Public Image Ltd (PiL) EmptySat Jun 29, 2013 8:56 am

Pil's Album is a notorious record. It was made by big name session players with Lydon turning up as little as possible.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Public Image Ltd (PiL)   Public Image Ltd (PiL) EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 12:25 am

Sometimes the hired help can do wonders for an album. Take Pet Sounds or Screamadelica, for instance.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Public Image Ltd (PiL)   Public Image Ltd (PiL) EmptyFri Feb 03, 2023 6:46 pm

Surprised to learn that PiL is competing in the Irish Eurovision finale tonight, with this song:

It is a very nice song. I hope they win.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Public Image Ltd (PiL)   Public Image Ltd (PiL) EmptyMon Feb 13, 2023 1:53 pm

I remember finding this video very funny as a teenager.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Public Image Ltd (PiL)   Public Image Ltd (PiL) EmptyMon Feb 13, 2023 4:23 pm

Sounds like you and Largo's Shark would have hit if off, PC. Too bad he's not around anymore.
Back to top Go down
Maeve Horton
'R'
'R'
Maeve Horton

PostSubject: Re: Public Image Ltd (PiL)   Public Image Ltd (PiL) EmptyMon Feb 13, 2023 7:48 pm

This is my favourite PiL song:

Back to top Go down
https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com/
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Public Image Ltd (PiL)   Public Image Ltd (PiL) EmptyTue Feb 14, 2023 3:47 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
Sounds like you and Largo's Shark would have hit if off, PC. Too bad he's not around anymore.
Yes, gone for good? Anyone who knows?
Found another funny one recently. The beginning here is hilarious.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Public Image Ltd (PiL)   Public Image Ltd (PiL) EmptyTue Feb 14, 2023 9:57 pm

I'm not sure what happened to LS. There are others here who may have more knowledge.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Public Image Ltd (PiL)   Public Image Ltd (PiL) EmptyThu Jun 29, 2023 10:33 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Public Image Ltd (PiL)   Public Image Ltd (PiL) Empty

Back to top Go down

Public Image Ltd (PiL)
Page 1 of 1