More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union

Go down 
+3
Blunt Instrument
HJackson
Largo's Shark
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union  Empty
PostSubject: Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union    Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union  EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 11:11 pm

http://www.gigwise.com/news/84152/robin-thicke-hit-blurred-lines-banned-by-edinburgh-university

Quote :
Robin Thicke's worldwide hit, the controversial 'Blurred Lines' has been banned by Edinburgh University students union, resulting the song not being allowed to be played anywhere on campus.

The track, featuring T.I. and Pharrell Williams, has divided opinion and caused a fair amount of uproar since its release, largely due to its raunchy NSFW video and the lyrics which many argue are sexist and objectify women. Some have even gone as far to claim that the song is about rape - an argument which Thicke has branded 'ridiculous'.

Now, the BBC reports that Edinburgh University's SU has barred the track from being played in any of the union's buildings - falling in line with the uni's Students' Association (EUSA) policy, called 'End Rape Culture and Lad Banter on Campus', in a bid to tackle "myths and stereotypes around sexual violence".

An extract from the policy slams anything which can be viewed to "trivialize rape" and "cannot be allowed by our union".

EUSA vice president Kirsty Haigh said: "The decision to ban 'Blurred Lines' from our venues has been taken as it promotes an unhealthy attitude towards sex and consent.

"There is a zero tolerance towards sexual harassment, a policy to end lad culture on campus and a safe space policy - all of which this song violates."

Thicke however, has always dismissed ideas that the track is sexist - telling The Today Show in the US that 'Blurred Lines' was part of a 'feminist movement'.

"When we made the song, we had nothing but the most respect for women and — my wife, I've been with the same woman since I was a teenager," said Thicke. "So for us, we were just trying to make a funny song and sometimes the lyrics get misconstrued when you're just trying to put people on the dance floor and have a good time, but we had no idea it would stir this much controversy. We only had the best intentions."

He continued: "It's supposed to stir conversation, it's supposed to make us talk about what's important and what the relationship between men and women is, but if you listen to the lyrics it says 'That man is not your maker' — it's actually a feminist movement within itself."
Back to top Go down
HJackson
'R'
'R'
HJackson

PostSubject: Re: Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union    Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union  EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 12:02 am

These stupid harridans are certainly right about this 'rape culture' stuff. It's long ticked me off how lightly society takes it. I, personally, won't rest until rape is made illegal once and for all.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union    Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union  EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 11:54 am

I read in Q that the video is female-directed, and that it was her who pushed for the 'raunchy' version of it. Thicke was initially reluctant.

I bet plenty of other records with lyrics a lot more distasteful than Blurred Lines have been played without an eyelid being batted on the Edinburgh Uni campus. It's just 'cause of the furore surrounding it.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union    Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union  EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 12:39 pm

Should've just banned it for being a shyte song.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union    Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union  EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 2:54 pm

It's a decent record. The most iconic song of the summer of 2013.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union    Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union  EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 4:54 pm

CJB wrote:
Should've just banned it for being a shyte song.
This.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union    Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union  EmptyFri Sep 20, 2013 12:33 pm

Funny how the song itself and the backlash against it are in a neck-to-neck race to decide which of the two is more annoying.
Right now the backlash is winning.
Back to top Go down
General Yuskovich
'R'
'R'
General Yuskovich

PostSubject: Re: Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union    Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union  EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 4:52 pm

HJackson wrote:
These stupid harridans are certainly right about this 'rape culture' stuff. It's long ticked me off how lightly society takes it. I, personally, won't rest until rape is made illegal once and for all.

As a law graduate I can confirm that rape and many other sexual offences besides is in fact illegal through statute and the common law in both the UK and elsewhere no doubt, so I fail to see your point here, I'm afraid, unless you care to elaborate on this? Rape in marriage is now also illegal.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union    Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union  EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 5:09 pm

General Yuskovich wrote:
HJackson wrote:
As a law graduate I can confirm that rape and many other sexual offences besides is in fact illegal through statute and the common law in both the UK and elsewhere no doubt, so I fail to see your point here, I'm afraid, unless you care to elaborate on this? Rape in marriage is now also illegal.
It's satire.
Back to top Go down
General Yuskovich
'R'
'R'
General Yuskovich

PostSubject: Re: Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union    Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union  EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 5:17 pm

Largo's Shark wrote:
General Yuskovich wrote:
HJackson wrote:
It's satire.

Ah, I see. A tad too sophisticated for me, but I do love Stewart Lee, so there's hope for me yet.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union    Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union  EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 9:00 am

Interesting defence from Robin Thicke in the Blurred Lines plagiarism trial: he claims he can't have copied the music as he didn't write any of it. He was high at the time.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union    Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union  EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 6:35 pm

I always thought it was a knowing salute to Got to Give You Up to Gaye from Pharrell. Why has the lawsuit taken so long?
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union    Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union  EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 10:39 pm

The music video helped to land Emily Ratajkowski a movie gig.

Well, either the video or her tits did. I'm not sure.

I think she'd make a nice Baker Street recruit. Possibly to replace Helga.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union    Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union  EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 8:55 am

So Alan Thicke's real-life son is a sexist plagiarizer and his TV son is a weird/creepy religious fundi.
Where did it all go wrong, Alan?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union    Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union  EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 10:49 am

How is blurred lines 'sexist', Oppers?

And in a related Pharrell Williams story, I see those poor bastards in Iran have been sentenced to a year and 100 lashes each for dancing to Happy.  If there's a more disgusting and perplexing alliance than that of Western feminists and Islamists then I'd like to see it.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union    Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union  EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 12:07 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:

And in a related Pharrell Williams story, I see those poor bastards in Iran have been sentenced to a year and 100 lashes each for dancing to Happy.  If there's a more disgusting and perplexing alliance than that of Western feminists and Islamists then I'd like to see it.

You will have to educate me on this alliance Ambler, because I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.

As for Blurred Lines, why must you ruin my Alan Thicke joke? sarcasm
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union    Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union  EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 12:56 pm

Salomé wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:

You will have to educate me on this alliance Ambler, because I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.

As for Blurred Lines, why must you ruin my Alan Thicke joke? sarcasm

Ruining your joke? Just doing my job, Miss.

I suppose I'm thinking of feminists marching against Israel while keeping conspicuously quiet about the chiseling of clitorises and trafficking of white girls in northern England. Instead we get weasel words about the dangers of the left - and 'right-thinking' women - encouraging so-called Islamophobia.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union    Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union  EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 3:34 pm

I guess the feminist movement in the UK must be very different then? I don't know a great many over here who are overly pre-occupied with Israel, nor do I know a lot who stay mum about the genital mutilation of girls.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union    Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union  Empty

Back to top Go down

Blurred Lines banned by Endiburgh University students union
Page 1 of 1