More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt

Go down 
+8
lachesis
Largo's Shark
Gravity's Silhouette
CJB
bitchcraft
Control
Hilly
Salomé
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt Empty
PostSubject: Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt   Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt EmptySun Nov 16, 2014 8:20 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/science/video/2014/nov/14/rosetta-scientist-matt-taylor-breaks-down-apology-offensive-shirt-video

This is beyond ridiculous. They actually made the man issue a public apology for this? During a moment that should have been devoted to celebrating one of the crowning achievements of his career. huh
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt   Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt EmptySun Nov 16, 2014 8:45 pm

I don't care if you landed a spacecraft on a comet, your shirt is sexist

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/13/7213819/your-bowling-shirt-is-holding-back-progress

Feminism has become everything its detractors suggested. sad

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt   Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt EmptySun Nov 16, 2014 8:45 pm

It's beyond stupid, as said on the Telegraph, when Political Correctness went mad. I haven't seen his apology and I cringe at the thought of it. Personally all my focus has been on the probe and the mission, the shirt thing is just something I've seen on news websites.
Good thing this brigade wasn't around during the Gemini/Mercury/Apollo programs.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt   Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt EmptySun Nov 16, 2014 8:46 pm

We might have been on Mars by now if these cunts hadn't derailed civilisation.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt   Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt EmptySun Nov 16, 2014 9:01 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
I don't care if you landed a spacecraft on a comet, your shirt is sexist

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/13/7213819/your-bowling-shirt-is-holding-back-progress

Feminism has become everything its detractors suggested. sad

Totally. Fucking. Pathetic.

And The Verge even forced a male hipster to co-write/edit the article.

One commenter asked a good question: "The Verge needs to look closely at what it’s trying to say here. Is this an editorial, a comment or are you just posing as a mouthpiece for a feminist who couldn’t get it published at The Atlantic?"
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt   Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt EmptySun Nov 16, 2014 9:13 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:

I'm sure Mars has cunts too.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt   Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt EmptySun Nov 16, 2014 9:37 pm

bitchcraft wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:

I apologise to everyone for that comment. Such thoughtcrime cannot be excused and I accept that my momentary indiscretion outweighs any other good I may have done in my life. However, I'm sure I can make it up to you.

Please PM me your full bank account details. I'm sure I can make a difference to every member's future wellbeing.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt   Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt EmptySun Nov 16, 2014 9:47 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
bitchcraft wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:

I apologise to everyone for that comment. Such thoughtcrime cannot be excused and I accept that my momentary indiscretion outweighs any other good I may have done in my life. However, I'm sure I can make it up to you.

Please PM me your full bank account details. I'm sure I can make a difference to every member's future wellbeing.

Apology accepted, but you need to take off that Hustler t-shirt with the girl in bondage position.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt   Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt EmptySun Nov 16, 2014 9:55 pm

bitchcraft wrote:
Apology accepted, but you need to take off that Hustler t-shirt with the girl in bondage position.

Fair enough. Just to show there's no hard feelings, I'll let Rave, Fae and Santa out of Sharky's dungeon too; this forum has missed their bountiful contribution.

In exchange, Dog, make sure you PM me your CIBC security code. That iPhone6 isn't going to pay for itself.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt   Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt EmptySun Nov 16, 2014 10:43 pm

Modern leftism is a mental disorder, medically speaking.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt   Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt EmptySun Nov 16, 2014 11:08 pm

In that case, the differently able have taken over the asylum.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt   Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt EmptySun Nov 16, 2014 11:38 pm

Not only did he apologize, but he broke down in tears while giving the apology.

Typical feminist over-reaction, but I have to admit that it DID look very unprofessional; you're a person who is going to go down in history books and you wear something that looks like it was taken out of the dumpster behind the local Wal-Mart for your one moment in the spotlight in front of billions of people? Clearly not well thought out.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt   Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 1:35 am

Well all know if this were Ambler it would've be an R. Crumb print.

Erica Ambler wrote:
I'll let Rave, Fae and Santa out of Sharky's dungeon

What?! No! How else am I going to hang my Christmas baubles?
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt   Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 5:04 am

Largo's Shark wrote:
Well all know if this were Ambler it would've be an R. Crumb print.

Erica Ambler wrote:
I'll let Rave, Fae and Santa out of Sharky's dungeon

What?! No! How else am I going to hang my Christmas baubles?

Brian and j7wild?

You guys could 'bond' together rimshot
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt   Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 9:41 am

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
Not only did he apologize, but he broke down in tears while giving the apology.

Typical feminist over-reaction, but I have to admit that it DID look very unprofessional; you're a person who is going to go down in history books and you wear something that looks like it was taken out of the dumpster behind the local Wal-Mart for your one moment in the spotlight in front of billions of people? Clearly not well thought out.

What he wore should not have mattered at all. It's beyond idiotic and focusing on such nonsense actually hurts the women's movement in areas where they might make a worthwhile difference.
The notion that he will alienate young women who might otherwise go into tech through that shirt is beyond laughable as well. I have several women with technical backgrounds in my social circle and none of them are exactly delicate little flowers.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt   Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 10:08 am

Anyone else offended by the violent portrayal of white males in the forum's banner?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt   Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 11:04 am

Salomé wrote:
focusing on such nonsense actually hurts the women's movement in areas where they might make a worthwhile difference.

I think that's true. The shirt was tailor made and designed by a woman incidentally. She's expressed her bemusement on Twitter:

I made a shirt for one of my close pals @mggtTaylor for his b'day. Did not expect this!! #shirtgate #shirtstorm #Rosetta #Shirt #sewing

Salomé wrote:
I have several women with technical backgrounds in my social circle and none of them are exactly delicate little flowers.

Yeah, I worked in the aerospace industry for a while and female engineers are quite different to any others I've met. Same with the men, though. They tend to be highly intelligent, but socially awkward. On the whole, they're refreshingly bullshit-free.

One thing that strikes me about this silliness is that feminists argue for the right to decide what they wear. Everyone else should have that right too.

Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt   Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 12:06 pm

Absurd beyond belief and a very sad reflection on those who missed the news to go out of their way to be offended.

One of the most serious problems society faces today is the way we facilitate a lack of personal responsibility in becoming upset or offended. If thine eyes offend thee pluck them out, don't gawk and bitch to me.

OOI this is why I despise the ignore feature on forums, we got one already its called a brain choose not to look, choose to ignore don't have people waste time and effort making a device because you are too f'in useless/lazy/emo to exert a bit of self control!
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt   Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 3:08 pm

Salomé wrote:

What he wore should not have mattered at all.

It should have mattered and it did. Your clothes DO say a lot about you. In this instance, his clothes said he was inappropriately dressed for the occasion and lacked an awareness that he was going to be in front of billions of people. THAT is why you dress appropriately: so that people can concentrate on what you say instead of how you look saying it. His cheap, tacky shirt distracted from his message.

If you want to be taken credibly, you have to dress the part.

Quote :
It's beyond idiotic and focusing on such nonsense actually hurts the women's movement in areas where they might make a worthwhile difference.
The notion that he will alienate young women who might otherwise go into tech through that shirt is beyond laughable as well. I have several women with technical backgrounds in my social circle and none of them are exactly delicate little flowers.

Well, the "women's movement" today would be laughable if it weren't for all the destruction they have caused.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt   Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 3:15 pm

So your position is 'I don't care if you landed a spacecraft on a comet, where's your tie?'

Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt   Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 3:28 pm

Boris Johnson does not approve of this:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/11234620/Dr-Matt-Taylors-shirt-made-me-cry-too-with-rage-at-his-abusers.html
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt   Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 3:36 pm

For a long time, the alliance between feminism and fundamentalist Islam bemused me. Now I can see they have much in common - the need to crush, erase and belittle all those that oppose their oppressive world view.

Boris is dead on when he writes:

Quote :
There must be room in our world for eccentricity, even if it offends the prudes, and room for the vague other-worldliness that often goes with genius.

Thanks to Twitter and lobbyists, the Internet has become a 24-7 showtrial.

EDIT: Wow, there's some intelligent comments under Boris' article., which makes a change. This one for instance:

Quote :
The vast majority of us just want to tackle discrimination as and when we see it, irrespective of ethnicity or gender, but feminism is all about looking at everything exclusively from women's perspectives. It attempts to infantilise all women and constantly reinforces the established narrative of "male oppression."
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt   Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 4:51 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:

So your position is 'I don't care if you landed a spacecraft on a comet, where's your tie?'

Tie? Nah. But presentable? Yes. The clothing needs to match the occasion. The shirt was hideous. Period. Irrespective of whether it promoted misogyny or was sexist.

This is a very simple thing to do. As a society, we used to know how to dress for the occasion. But now we've devolved to the point where we expect to just wear whatever we want, whenever, and that nobody will make any comment about it.

If you feel strong enough to assert your individuality in front of a billion people (rather than helping the audience stayed focused on the message by wearing sensible clothes) then by all means go for it. Just be prepared for the torrent of criticism you receive.

Right idea; wrong criticism. The criticism SHOULD BE that he was not 'ready for his close-up'. Instead, what we've gotten is a bunch of man-hating feminists who saw an opening and took the opportunity to run with it. So now we'll have men shamed into wearing clothing that doesn't offend women's delicate sensibilities, instead of having men that dress appropriate for the occasion.

He was WRONG to wear what he wore, but not for the reasons he's being criticized.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt   Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 4:59 pm

Some of the scientists working on the Mercury program were actual Nazis. Have we really devolved so much as a culture that a shirt is now enough to question the character of a Dr. in Space Physics?
Back to top Go down
Xenia93
'R'
'R'
Xenia93

PostSubject: Re: Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt   Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 5:51 pm

I agree with almost every post in this thread. This is absurd.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt   Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt Empty

Back to top Go down

Rosetta scientist forced to apologize for "offensive" shirt
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next