More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Your Favourite James Bond Director

Go down 
+22
AMC Hornet
Largo's Shark
Drax
lalala2004
Salomé
FourDot
Mr. Trevelyan
GeneralGogol
Louis Armstrong
Krilencu
James. C
tiffanywint
Satorious
Fairbairn-Sykes
groucho070
Tubes
Hilly
CJB
Prince Kamal Khan
Chang
Lazenby.
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Who is your favourite Bond director?
Terence Young - DN, FRWL and TB
Your Favourite James Bond Director Vote_lcap59%Your Favourite James Bond Director Vote_rcap
 59% [ 23 ]
Guy Hamilton - GF, DAF, LALD and TMWTGG
Your Favourite James Bond Director Vote_lcap5%Your Favourite James Bond Director Vote_rcap
 5% [ 2 ]
Lewis Gilbert - YOLT, TSWLM and MR
Your Favourite James Bond Director Vote_lcap0%Your Favourite James Bond Director Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Peter Hunt - OHMSS
Your Favourite James Bond Director Vote_lcap18%Your Favourite James Bond Director Vote_rcap
 18% [ 7 ]
John Glen - FYEO, OP, AVTAK, TLD, LTK
Your Favourite James Bond Director Vote_lcap5%Your Favourite James Bond Director Vote_rcap
 5% [ 2 ]
Martin Campbell - GE, CR
Your Favourite James Bond Director Vote_lcap13%Your Favourite James Bond Director Vote_rcap
 13% [ 5 ]
Roger Spottiswoode - TND
Your Favourite James Bond Director Vote_lcap0%Your Favourite James Bond Director Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Michael Apter - TWINE
 0% [ 0 ]
Lee Tamahori - DAD
 0% [ 0 ]
Marc Forster - QOS
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 39

AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Your Favourite James Bond Director Empty
PostSubject: Your Favourite James Bond Director   Your Favourite James Bond Director EmptyThu May 13, 2010 12:32 am

Could this be turned into a poll?

This thread is for you to voice your opinion to who your favourite Bond director is.
Mine would be Terence Young. He bought Bond to the silver screen, and his films are all well done (DN, FRWL and TB). I would have said Roger Spottiswoode (TND), but I didn't, out of sheer quantity. And well, if it wasn't for Young, Spottiswoode wouldn't have had the opportunity anyway

Who is your favourite James Bond director, and why?

Last edited by FieldsMan on Thu May 13, 2010 12:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite James Bond Director   Your Favourite James Bond Director EmptyThu May 13, 2010 12:40 am

That shouldn't be a problem. I was actually under the impression we could just set polls up ourselves, but I've just tried and it doesn't give me the option to..... :scratch:

M.....?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite James Bond Director   Your Favourite James Bond Director EmptyThu May 13, 2010 12:47 am

I've figured it out. When you want to edit a post, scroll down, and there is a space to start up a poll. Enter the nominations, and click send as per usual. But it might just be the OP.
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite James Bond Director   Your Favourite James Bond Director EmptyThu May 13, 2010 12:57 am

Oh right yeah, of course. :oops:

Nice one Fieldster. 8)
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite James Bond Director   Your Favourite James Bond Director EmptyThu May 13, 2010 2:57 am

I voted for John Glen. Though I find his last three to be the best.
Terence Young is a very close second.
Back to top Go down
Chang
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Chang

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite James Bond Director   Your Favourite James Bond Director EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 2:07 pm

Peter Hunt
Terence Young
John Glen
Martin Campbell
Lewis Gilbert
Guy Hamilton
The rest are hardly worth the time.
Back to top Go down
Prince Kamal Khan
Q Branch
Q Branch
Prince Kamal Khan

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite James Bond Director   Your Favourite James Bond Director EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 10:36 pm

Terence Young, the man who brought Ian Fleming's literary spy to life on screen. Honorable mention to the underrated Lewis Gilbert, the master of visual spectacle and "movie Bond."
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite James Bond Director   Your Favourite James Bond Director EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 12:14 am

Terence Young.

The DN-FRWL-TB power trio will be insurmountable till the demise of the franchise.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite James Bond Director   Your Favourite James Bond Director EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 12:41 am

Eons ago on MI6 I voted John Glen and since wished I had changed it. Thus, voted Young this time. Man formed the shape of the cinematic Bond and by some accounts lived the Bond lifestyle. I'd put Hunt second and Glen...third.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Tubes
Q Branch
Q Branch
Tubes

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite James Bond Director   Your Favourite James Bond Director EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 12:52 am

Terence Young, pretty easily. He shaped cinematic Bond more than any other person.

Next would probably go Hunt, Hamilton, Campbell, Glen, Foster, Gilbert, Spottiswoode, Tamahori, Apted.

Yes, I put Apted behind Tamahori.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite James Bond Director   Your Favourite James Bond Director EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 1:28 am

Tubes wrote:

Yes, I put Apted behind Tamahori.

Can't really fault you. For all of DAD's ills (and it has as many as a Romanian prostitute) at least it didn't attempt to be deep n' meaningful'. Perhaps in one or two places, but it didn't come close to the creepy, soap operatic mess that was the Bond-Elektra monstrosity. Tamawhore didn't take anything too seriously (the dude does dress in girl clothes after all).
Back to top Go down
groucho070
Cipher Clerk
groucho070

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite James Bond Director   Your Favourite James Bond Director EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 3:41 am

Terence Young. He should have directed every Bond film ever, even from grave if that is possible. The man got class.
Back to top Go down
http://grouchydays.blogspot.com
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite James Bond Director   Your Favourite James Bond Director EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 3:46 am

groucho070 wrote:
Terence Young. He should have directed every Bond film ever, even from grave if that is possible. The man got class.

Indeed. The man basically created cinematic Bond, as well as creating cinematic Sean Connery.

I would've rather seen 7 or 8 Young/Connery Bond films and THAT'S IT rather than the up and down peddling 25 entires of largely mediocrity we got.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Chang
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Chang

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite James Bond Director   Your Favourite James Bond Director EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 3:53 am

None of the directors post 1995 have had a bloody clue how to make a James Bond film. Save for the return of Campbell. Even he got a raw deal, having wanted Henry Cavill over Daniel Craig for the reboot of the series. But that's getting off topic.
Spottiswode did what he could with a film being scripted on a daily basis.
Apted was a mistake that failed. Putting it mildly
Tamahori. Not even going to go there.
Forster. Artsy fartsy dizzy crap.
Back to top Go down
groucho070
Cipher Clerk
groucho070

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite James Bond Director   Your Favourite James Bond Director EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 9:24 am

One thing about Young, even though he made some changes to the character, and perhaps was involved in the changes in the script too, he didn't crap on the original. There was still a link between the book and the movies he directed,in particular, Thunderbal a very difficult film to do even considering that it started out as a screen treatment in the first place.

Oh, I'd put Hunt next to him, but he loses point with that bad editing during fight scenes.
Back to top Go down
http://grouchydays.blogspot.com
Satorious
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Satorious

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite James Bond Director   Your Favourite James Bond Director EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 8:24 pm

I won't blame Hunt for that bad editing. Firstly, he had more than enough headaches to contend with being the director (it was one of the toughest shoots in the series). The editing in OHMSS was unfortunately the way that action was being edited at that time (much like all this quick-cut Bourne disorientation is at the minute with QOS). If this were a "Best Editor" poll, Peter should win this hands down. He revolutionised action editing at that time with Bond (by that time I mean Dr No rather than OHMSS).

I'd argue he understood the Bond character as well as Terrence Young did. Possibly more in many ways.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite James Bond Director   Your Favourite James Bond Director EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 10:21 pm

Guy Hamilton... The man with the Midas touch!
Back to top Go down
James. C
Cipher Clerk
James. C

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite James Bond Director   Your Favourite James Bond Director EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 5:16 am

Campbell is the man 8)
Back to top Go down
Krilencu
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Krilencu

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite James Bond Director   Your Favourite James Bond Director EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 1:32 pm

1. Terence Young - forged the movie James Bond more then anyone else and made three excellent movies. Without him at the helm of the first two and the fourth Bond would not have lasted this long.
2. Peter Hunt - made the best Bond film, was a pioneer of how to direct/edit modern action scenes. Keep OHMSS in mind when you watch Bourne.
3. Martin Campbell - knows for sure how to treat a classic hero in a new way (i.e. Zorro as well). Revived the series twice while adjusting the style of the movie to the trend of that particular moment.
4. Guy Hamilton - creator of the light-hearted enjoyable Bond adventure, though rarely over the top.
5. John Glen - his down-to-earthness matched TLD, LTK and FYEO perfectly. It also gave OP its necessary contrast between the silliness. But it gave AVTAK its dull and uninspired look.
6. Lewis Gilbert - no-one gave any Bond film the kind of classy, epic feel then Gilbert. Pity the silliness was so prominent in MR and the character development so underwhelming in YOLT.
7. Irvin Kershner - not the best of Bond films and not EON either. But a director who can get the best out of his cast.
8. Michael Apted - tried to mix character depth with explosive action, did a respectable job at that.
9. Marc Forster - you feel he can make a great Bond film, some sequences are sheer brilliance, but at other moments he's too rushed.
10. Roger Spottiswoode - excellent at creating exciting action, though can't tell a story and keeps the pace up much too high.
11. Lee Tamahori - starts off well giving Bond more edge, but then he falls in the gap of self-parody, laughable action, childish dialogue and CGI nonsense.
Back to top Go down
Louis Armstrong
Q Branch
Q Branch
Louis Armstrong

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite James Bond Director   Your Favourite James Bond Director EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 6:30 pm

Hunt. Way too many cool stylistic touches in OHMSS for me not to pick him. And he understood Bond just as much as Young.
Back to top Go down
GeneralGogol
Q Branch
Q Branch
GeneralGogol

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite James Bond Director   Your Favourite James Bond Director EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 7:01 pm

Young was the first and best of course. I think Gilbert is underrated though. He delivered three Bond films based on essentially the same script. I would've wanted to see him direct the more down-to-earth entries like FYEO and OP as well.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Trevelyan
Cipher Clerk
Mr. Trevelyan

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite James Bond Director   Your Favourite James Bond Director EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 10:26 am

Young all the way.
Back to top Go down
FourDot
'R'
'R'
FourDot

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite James Bond Director   Your Favourite James Bond Director EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 11:31 am

John Glen.

The guy really knew how to put a camera down somewhere and have stuff happen in front of it. I like that in a filmmaker.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite James Bond Director   Your Favourite James Bond Director EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 12:15 pm

Terence Young. This is a no-brainer, he directed my entire top three. :)
Back to top Go down
lalala2004
'R'
'R'
lalala2004

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite James Bond Director   Your Favourite James Bond Director EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 6:08 pm

FourDot wrote:
John Glen.

The guy really knew how to put a camera down somewhere and have stuff happen in front of it. I like that in a filmmaker.

laugh

I voted for Young. FRWL is a gem, and DN isn't far behind it.

I really like most of John Glen's Bond films, too, but there doesn't seem to be much special about the direction. There just happens to be good stories with good actors happening. Surely he has a hand in that, though, and he would probably be second in my book.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite James Bond Director   Your Favourite James Bond Director Empty

Back to top Go down

Your Favourite James Bond Director
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next